Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times

Advertisements

well its hard to say about that if you're gonna apply in a smaller town you might have a bit more competition honestly imo and I say that only because in the smaller towns everyone knows everyone. Perfect example my husband and I were driving to the police academy where he lives during the week, its an hour away from our house.. About 25 miles into the trip our timing belt snapped on the car and we pulled over, our cell phones didn't work so we knocked on a random door to ask to use their phone. Well long story short the guy that answered the door is my husbands roomates cousin in the academy.We had no idea it was just weird. So like i said everyone knows everyone. So if you and joe schmo apply and the boss knows them personally they might choose them.. I dunno how likely that is, but its not out of the question. Def let them know you are out of state and make an extra effort to keep in touch with then and what not and you might get considered cause you'll be a fresh face there. Good luck with your job hunting if you decided the move is right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM

37 posts, read 121,114 times
Be careful...if the real estate prices are low it probably means that the house is in an area that is so desolate that there isn't much for work (or only seasonal work). Low rents and home prices aren't so fantastic if you can't earn a pay or decent pay. My husband got laid off this past January and now to work, he is needing to drive way south. The same thing happened to my Dad and it isn't like we live way out in the sticks.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 AM

960 posts, read 1,688,124 times
Thanks for the words of caution windchime.

My husband and I are probably going to be up visiting his family in southern NH sometime this winter. We are going to do some scouting around and check out the job market. Fortunately having his family there may help out ( just a little bit) with making potential employment contacts.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
thanks for the links everyone. I am still sobbing. Sorry! I grew up in New Hampshire, graduated from Nashua. Did you guys know actress Mandy Moore was born in Nashua?

Anyways, I have lived in Texas for 12+ years and was relocated to Michigan and now Illinois. I'm just miserable. The job market is harsh and we're now cashing out our IRA to move somewhere with hope to rebuild.

I want to go home so badly. I still have family in New Hampshire, and because of your posts and your links, I think we can do it! I just have to pursuade my hubby to take one more chance to relocate. He works in the IT industry and I can basically find any work very satisfying as long as it is mainly full time.

THANK YOU!!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The housing market is southern New Hampshire in Nashua and Manchester will be less then Sarasota. Median Home price in Sarasota 1st quarter 2007 was 338K

In Southern NH; Manchester and Nashua; 259K While taxes will be higher in NH- homeowners insurance in Florida costs thousands per year.

80K less in the price of a home is nothing not to sneeze at. While a home in southern New Hampshire may cost $200 a year to insure

in Sarasota anywhere from 4-8K a year.
Can you tell me what insurance company will write homeowners coverage for $200/year? I need to call them!

We're currently paying over $600, and have been for several years, and that's a very competitive quote from a well known, but not "pricey" company.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I'll tell you what... we moved from New England to St. Charles County, Missouri (Misery) from 1997 through 2001. 5 years of wishing we were home in New England where we belong. Where the mountains are an hours away, the beach is an hour away, where we don't have a homeowners association telling what we can and can't do on our property (we would expect that with a condo where you don't own the building or the land, but your own home and land? gimme a break!! They call it "protecting our neighborhood... we call it "big brother watching". Anyway, it's definitely a good time to be looking. As we go through the year, prices are dropping and Sellers are willing to negotiate (something you didn't hear of in the past 5 years!) When you get to the point of considering certain areas of the state, be sure to post so that locals can help you out with info on schools, jobs, etc.

I also would like the name of the insurance company that will insure a home for 200 a year! I have a "mature" house, and my homeowners insurance is more than triple that number!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 PM

37 posts, read 121,114 times
You should have good luck with jobs in southern NH, around Nashua and east or slightly north of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire