Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,558,772 times

Advertisements

but the bad too

NH's state parks in a sad state - Wednesday, Jul. 7, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,038,857 times
That's too bad. I know a lot of other places trashed too. I have no idea what's wrong with modern people. I have literally packed out tons of crap, but quit since the crap comes right back.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,081,752 times
Wait...so the division is operating at a deficit of about $2M a year; but it generates $45M in tax revenue and about $355M for people in the state during those same years.

So basically for $6M a year (total, $4M of which is offset by fees); the total benefit is $410M a year...even if that $410 is high- that's a pretty tremendously positive ROI.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,038,857 times
I dunno BF66389, The same trash comes back over and over. I just wish people would get the idea it costs to keep places open and clean for them and quit trashing the places.

I no longer go to many places i used to go for the trash. I fear i will catch some one and kill them over it. Trash just sets me off. A while back a gas staion owner allowed me the use of his private dumpster over and over again because he knew i was collecting woods trash people left.

It is no stretch of a story to say i removed tons of trash. As I used stuff up in my pack I added what ever trash I found and in time there were tons of it.

If anything these days that problem is worse. Like i said there are places I won't go anymore. No more any well beaten path.

I have seen this happen up front and say something usually rude, but the look I get is not of any sorrow, but more a look like i just stepped off a space alien ship.

Is it really too hard to either not trash the woods or just not go there if all you can do is trash the place? Not meaning you directly.

I have had gas siphoned off my cars parked in the NF, items stolen from my vehicals, once i even caught 3 guys in the act of rumaging thru my truck in which i had left nothing. They got a nice citzens arrest and a long walk to the chief of police's house. The charges stuck too. I don't bother to lock up since that just means a broken window.

Once another fool stole my wife pack after a 10 day camp. Everything in that pack was her dirty clothing. WTF is with some people?

I can go alone in dead winter for 10+ days, and when I come back all the trash i have fits in 2 cocoa packets. Why can't everyone plan that way?

Another time working as a sub care taker for ther RMC I came onto a medicine container in the trail. Thinking someone might need what ever meds were in it and hoping they were going up, since I was, I didn't look before i picked it up. I wished i didn't instantly since it was a med bottle filled with car gasoline! It was leaking baddly no doubt from the looser than fuel tight seal on such bottles.

Some jerk couldn't start a fire I guess. Found that leaking in his pack, and rather than burn it then and there, just left it. Grrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM

I know, it's unbelievable. I do feel better in that I frequently see folks other than myself carrying a few bits of trash they have cleaned up as well- that seems to be a more common practice here than in some other places I've lived; which is slightly reassuring.

Got to wonder how much of that disrepair could be repaired if the workers weren't cleaning up/repairing the damage of others.

What amazes me (universally, not state specific) is how people think that littering is "ok"; it doesn't seem to be a generational thing as I've seen plenty of folks both old and young making a mess. Go figure.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM

5,508 posts, read 5,258,068 times
The primary reason trash is strewn around the ground everywhere (especially parks) is that so many NH towns went to the idiotic "Pay Per Throw" system in order to make citizens pay for their own trash disposal, while not reducing taxes one penny. This PPT system means you pay for every single bag of trash, and if it doesn't fit in their small bags, in some towns it's almost impossible to legally dispose of it (Exeter, for example). Therefore, many people start to say "this is ridiculous!" and just dump their trash by the side of the road, or in the park, or anywhere, rather than take it home. The woods next to my house are filled with trash because of this misguided policy.

There are no dumpsters or trash cans in this area that aren't locked closed, because they'll be instantly filled by those avoiding the $40 for a small roll of approved "Town" trash bags that can be legally disposed of.

For my entire lifetime, government at all levels has been increasing how much it takes from me and my family, while cutting out or severely restricting any small benefit I might get in return. Instead of programs that benefit us, the public gets a bigger and bigger bureaucracy, more graft and outright theft, and a veritable army of government employees do nothing but make more regulations and fees that make the average citizen a slave of government.

Do you know that to use your own boat in NH, you have to pass an all-day Proctored exam, that many very intelligent professionals we know have actually failed? There's no test to prove you can handle the boat safely, just an ALL-DAY Proctored test of government regulations so complex that even people with Masters' degrees couldn't pass it. And of course, there are multiple State employees required to run this one ridiculous requirement. When government sets up requirements so onerous that you can't use your own boat after you've safely driven one for 30 years in another state, they've gone too far. This is the crap they're spending our money on.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,167,904 times
When government sets up requirements so onerous that you can't use your own boat after you've safely driven one for 30 years in another state, they've gone too far.

I totally agree. In NH, everybody has to take the safety test even when they've driven a boat IN THIS STATE for 30 years. It is ridiculous. I used to have a boat that I took out every weekend on Lake Winnipesaukee. I sold it when gas prices skyrocketed though. It was costing $100 for a couple hours of waterskiing.

As far as the trash...I also have to agree. Our local dump started charging $10-$25.00 for every old TV, computer monitor, refrigerator, old tires or furniture. As a result, the woods are knee deep in garbage. In addition to garbage and cast offs, I quite often find dump loads of construction debris. It really sucks.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM

So because PPT is expensive and a hassle that's justification to litter in the woods instead? Agree or disagree with PPT doesn't matter...littering is still wrong. How about not littering AND working to fix the PPT issue. How full is every town meeting? My guess is not full enough...

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,167,904 times
I don't feel it is justified for any reason. HOWEVER, there is a lot of poverty in NH. There are people that seriously can not afford to pay the fees and eat too.

I get extremely PO'd when I find construction debris, because you just KNOW someone is getting rich and avoiding paying necessary costs. Probably hires illegals too.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

5,508 posts, read 5,258,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
So because PPT is expensive and a hassle that's justification to litter in the woods instead? Agree or disagree with PPT doesn't matter...littering is still wrong. How about not littering AND working to fix the PPT issue. How full is every town meeting? My guess is not full enough...
I don't litter. I personally pick up the trash on my street, and along the salt marsh where my Dad lived, and pay for the disposal. But I am not the vast majority of the population.

My point is the government should not set up unworkable systems, simply so it can spend ALL our tax dollars on their own graft, nepotism, and studies by their brother-in-law's consulting company. Government should have some responsibility to make reasonable provisions for reducing trash. Unfortunately, our current government (at all levels) thinks its only responsibility to find new ways to take even more money from the citizenry, while funneling all spending to their pet pork projects that benefit no working citizen.

As for the Town Meetings, I could complain until the cows came home. They couldn't care less. A politician's power comes from spending money, and whether we elect Clone A or Clone B, we get the same results. People like me have tried to change the system by working WITH the system for our whole lives. I can tell you from experience: it doesn't work. You can buy a politician if you're rich, but if you're just a taxpayer, you might as well be doggie-doo on the politicians' expensive shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire