Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times

Advertisements

We just recently realized that our well has basically dried. For us, we have options such as drilling deeper(costly), praying for rain(cheap but doubtful), etc(wash clothes at laundry mats, shower at local facilities...way too much coordination). From what I hear, this has been a bad summer for well users. Has anyone experienced the same dilemma? If so, how was the situation resolved?

Thanks ahead of time for comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
We just recently realized that our well has basically dried. For us, we have options such as drilling deeper(costly), praying for rain(cheap but doubtful), etc(wash clothes at laundry mats, shower at local facilities...way too much coordination). From what I hear, this has been a bad summer for well users. Has anyone experienced the same dilemma? If so, how was the situation resolved?

Thanks ahead of time for comments.
How old or deep is your well? The water table moves naturally over time, and if that's your case then rainfall is not going to solve the problem long term.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,437 times
This apparently is happening to lots of folks...there was an article in the Concord Monitor today about it. Not much can be done...pray for more days like today, or dig a deeper well. Such an inconvenience, don't know how they used to do it. good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The problem is more likely to occur in a shallow well tapping the near surface water table. Wells drilled into deeper rock aquifers are less likely to have problems. The short term solution might be seeing id a pool water suppliers is willing to park a 10,000 gal tank trailer in your driveway and hooking it up to your pump. A longer term would be to drill a deeper shallow well. The long term solutions are to drill a new well a couple of hundred feet into a rock aquifer, sealing it from the shallow water source, and obtaining a more reliable water source. Hooking up to a municipal source is the best bet if possible.

I think the NH Well Drillers Association has a website with a lot more information.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
For us, the storms over the past few days have been a blessing because our water pressure has been restored. I have not made a final decision because of the aforementioned improvements. In the meantime, I will continue with my prayers to the rain gods and play the sit and wait game.

GregW-I did call a local delivery service and the cost was less than expected. Thanks for the idea!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest you call a couple of well service companies. You might be OK if you just dug your well 20 feet deeper.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Hasn't been any problem at all in Tamworth that I know of. We have a well no town water a bit and I can water the 60x100 garden all I want so far. I have no idea how deep the well is. But the rest of this place wasn't of the best quality, so I can only assume the well ain't all that deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire