Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 PM

36 posts, read 97,824 times

Advertisements

looks like we're moving from CT to Wolfeboro, NH sometime in the near future. We love the area, and have seen it in the summertime, but just wondering if it's totally dead in the winter allowing cabin fever to get us!? And, since there are no significant cities or such to retreat to for entertainment and such, other than outdoor sports (which I do intend to explore more), what is there to do to while away all that indoor time?
thanks for any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Well, the thing is, you are on the quiet side of the lake. There really is nothing much going on in the winter over there. There's bingo in Laconia most nights, and you could always join a church group. Make sure you have cable TV, or get a dish cause winter is long & dark up there.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Wolfeboro is pretty quiet, like graveyard quiet, in the winter. Stunningly beautiful but quiet.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
It's deader than dead in winter, and a long way to go to any where. Center Harbor is the same. All rolled up, but Center Harbor is closer to the interstate and Meridith.

maybe if you are into ice fishing and or ice boating Wolfboro could have at least that to offer, but to me it is 18% gray dull and dead beat boring in winter. I live up the road in Tamworth which is dead beat dull all the time, but I like the snow and or watching the grass grow, and I can get out of here when I want.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Garwoods is a local watering hole for great sandwiches and a lunch atmosphere during the day that continues into the night.

There are a few located around town and once you are there, you will find them and your own niche. The nice thing is there is a private but welcoming community that will start a round of parties that will continue throughout the winter.

To get acquainted with a few people that know "who to know", I suggest an afternoon at the Wright Museum. It's a fun activity, and they start the season with the Festival of Lights party, a fund raiser of course.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 38,834 times
CT to Wolfboro. I am jealous...

You may want to take up snowmobiling. I think Ossipee has a popular club in that area. And N Conway access is pretty good from there if you are a skier.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisynora View Post
looks like we're moving from CT to Wolfeboro, NH sometime in the near future. We love the area, and have seen it in the summertime, but just wondering if it's totally dead in the winter
In a word...Yes.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
That's the beauty of it.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Friends of mine who lived in Wolfeboro for years tell me that once you're considered a local (might take a couple of seasons) there will be plenty to do in winter time, much of it involving alcohol. Most year-rounders have snow machines, you could learn to cross-country ski, snow shoe. White mountains are just a short hop up 93 for downhill skiing, snowboarding... Indoor time? Well, I'm not much for outdoor winter sports anymore, so I look at winter as a time to catch up on reading, crafts, etc. As you know, Wolfeboro is a beautiful area, but winter is a whole different scene. Perhaps you could get a winter rental to try before you buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisynora View Post
looks like we're moving from CT to Wolfeboro, NH sometime in the near future. We love the area, and have seen it in the summertime, but just wondering if it's totally dead in the winter allowing cabin fever to get us!? And, since there are no significant cities or such to retreat to for entertainment and such, other than outdoor sports (which I do intend to explore more), what is there to do to while away all that indoor time?
thanks for any input...

Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 PM

36 posts, read 97,824 times
Valerie...ooh, alcohol is tough, since my husband doesn't drink! haha

I'm not averse to getting into some winter outdoor stuff, would actually like to try snowshoeing. Skiing is okay, but not a great skiier. Our 23 yr old son and his 3 1/2 yr old son are coming with us, think I may be more concerned about them and their happiness. The toddler is fine anywhere, but my son, well, I don't think thrusting him into an area with mostly older folks is his idea of a good time. He'll be leaving some good friends, if he could just connect with some new ones, life would probably be good for him. More concerned about that, than him finding employment, at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire