Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 AM

36 posts, read 97,790 times

Advertisements

currently live in CT and my husband may have an opportunity for a job in Wolfeboro NH...

Can anyone tell me anything (good or not-so-good), about the area? Our young adult son comes along with us with his 3 yr old, so I'm assuming schools will be of some importance...

Cultural, social, shopping, people, weather...any info on what just general living in the area is like would be helpful. Haven't ventured up yet, this is all in the beginning stages, just trying to get a handle on what a possible move would be like?!

We both originate from Long Island and now are in CT, don't mind small towns, but don't want to live in Podunk either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
It's beautiful, quiet, has excellent schools, but is a bit of podunk. The good shopping is on the other side of the lake in the Laconia area. It's a summer tourist town so the population doubles......I like it, but it's a bit out of the way.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Wolfeboro is a beautiful town. It is the FIRST resort town in America.

The schools are regional, for the most part and include the surrounding towns. Here is a link for the schools:
Wolfeboro Schools | Wolfeboro, NH | Education.com

In the winter, it's a very quiet place with extremely wealthy and conservative residents. The summer is a whole 'nuther' story. It becomes a tourist destination with all that entails. Unfortunately, the traffic is horrendous and "you can't get there from here". The main street runs along the boundary of Lake Winnipesaukee and is lined with high end gift shops and a couple of bars.

Mitt Romney lives there. He and his extended family own a compound with 5 homes side by side. You know when he's there. He is always accompanied by an entourage. Also, most people can canoe or kayak anywhere on the lake, EXCEPT for in front of Romney's homes. He lays claim to the water out 300 yards, and no one is allowed to paddle by. A couple years ago, an 80+ year old woman was detained for questioning just for kayaking within Romney's vision.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
^
Unbelievable regarding those Romney details... It doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
He lays claim to the water out 300 yards
Was it being secured because of his status as a Presidential candidate or the Gov . at the time?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM

at the time he was MA governor.... state police would detail the main road whenever he was around.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

hahahaha, thanks for the tip on Mitt. Just looked at real estate to try and get a feel and it does seem to go all over, with some VERY expensive homes. Conservative? ugh, my husband might like that, but that's where we differ In my mind, that's what to be expected in NH, I don't really have a problem with that. All I need is a few good friends and life is good. thanks for the input!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

we'll have to take a drive up to scope it out at some point (if this job possibility comes to fruition). I've always thought, next move, I'd like to live right in town so I could walk for a cup of coffee, that type of thing. Of course, I imagined it would not entail moving more north! haha, but I don't mind snow...
Seems the aspect of living in a tourist area could really be annoying, traffic and such. Altho, that can depend alot on the type of tourist. We're used to spending a week out in Montauk LI for many years, and of course, that's crowded, but the crowd there is certainly different than the group that frequents the Hampton area...haha. They're more the NYC with fresh air crowd. Don't know what type of people frequent the lake area in the summer...any clues?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Personally I have no use of Wolfboro any time of year. It is a tourist trap in summer, and dead fronzen Hell in winter. If you don't have the right car, you can't ask the time of day.

The schools there would be decent foor locals as you would be though. There isn't much in the way of shopping either. The food stores there are high priced little joints all year round. The hospital is up and coming.

The PD is likely better than it was in the 90's. Some upper officers got removed for a better.

Like most any rural towns shopping means a drive of 40 miles or so one way. It is less to Ossipee for foods, in dollars and miles, and then there is bigger shopping in Rochester.

I could never live in Wolfboro for the snooty folks who live there.

On occasion when a art store happen to last long enough for me to find out I will shop there with my wife, but many little stores don't make it long in that town. The winter season kills them off.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

"The PD is likely better than it was in the 90's. Some upper officers got removed for a better."

too bad they can't solve the murder that took place right downtown last year. Seems all the residents know who did it, just can't prove it.

have to agree with the grocery shopping - most shop in Rochester, Alton or Ossipee to avoid high prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire