Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times

Advertisements

After a disappointing hunt early this morning, I came home to put some turkeys in the freezer.
Being a fairly self sufficient family we have raised hundreds of birds over the years for meat. Last year I decided I had enough. So much work for the return and not really money saving either. We now decided that we'll keep a half dozen or so roosters from the laying hens, from what my kids hatch out in the incubator, to raise for eating (just to keep our butchering skills sharp). We also thought 2 or 3 turkeys would be enough. You know just for the holidays. Alas, my dear wife brought home a dozen on mothers day. I asked why so many and she said because between the fox and coyotes we would be lucky to have 3 make it (our birds are free ranged and we have had problems with predators in the past). Well this year they all survived and today was the day. I'm glad it's over. It was not a great day for processing turkeys. Cold and WINDY.
That being said I am looking forward to cooking one tomorrow. I've got it soaking in brine right now. Yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
With venison-sausage stuffing i would imagine?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
wow kuddos to you . Now here is my take on the other end . My mother bought a turkey hatchling when it was about 4 months old . well guess what when it came time to butcher it mother said she could not do it . That turkey is 20 yrs old and is still living on my mothers property and he is mean as snot . He has the dogs and Im talking big dogs scared of him he has spured one of the dogs even and my mother was like omg those dogs are going to get hurt and my dad was laughing so hard . Just a little levity for the turkey holiday .

Old 11-28-2010, 08:17 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
We constantly have wild turkeys roaming our neighborhood. Dh checked and found if you get a license you can hunt one per season. But if one wanders onto our property and we kill it with one blow does that count as hunting? We were pretty cool with the turkeys, hoping they kept the ticks down. But then 3 young rascals kept coming over and totally tilling a large patch on our front yard. Someone said we have a grub problem. Which is what got Dh thinking about snaring one for Thanksgiving. Too late now, but maybe for future?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We were heading out to visit friends on Thanksgiving day and met three wild turkeys in our bank's parking lot in Londonderry. I guess they realized that shooting a gun near a bank would attract attention so they were safe.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
We constantly have wild turkeys roaming our neighborhood. Dh checked and found if you get a license you can hunt one per season. But if one wanders onto our property and we kill it with one blow does that count as hunting? We were pretty cool with the turkeys, hoping they kept the ticks down. But then 3 young rascals kept coming over and totally tilling a large patch on our front yard. Someone said we have a grub problem. Which is what got Dh thinking about snaring one for Thanksgiving. Too late now, but maybe for future?

too funny! but just in case you are serious - killing a turkey (no matter how you do it) requires a stamp and a hunting permit. Not having a stamp could cost you $1K or more when F&G show up at your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire