Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 PM

88 posts, read 189,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt and maria View Post
Would like to give thanks to all the folks who have replied. Feel very welcome already.
Pretty much what everyone else said - All of New Hampshire will love your accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:11 AM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
Come on over. You will be fine and welcomed.

Regarding Brits and guns, a quick story.

I was helping out for the day at my local gun shop for their annual tent and blowout sale last labor day weekend. I was working the floor answering questions about reloading and other stock items. I had a conversation with an English couple who were visiting their son who lives in our area. They were looking for a part for an airgun he had that was broken. The husband asked me what it took to own a rifle in NH and I said as long as he had a clean record, (if he were a resident) all he had to do was pay the bill, wait 10 minutes for the background check and take his rifle home. Same for a handgun. That part really got his attention. so I told him that, in fact, as long as you had a clean record, the local chief of police had to issue you a carry permit if you applied. Had to. His wife then leaned in to me and whispered "how many people have these carry licenses?" I smiled and said "More than you can imagine. In fact, everyone in here who is wearing yellow." All of the employees were wearing yellow shirts. She was speechless.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
LOL shoulda told her for 10 George Washinton Notes she could get one too.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM

21 posts, read 38,834 times
You will find plenty of your countrymen in NH in summer. Word seems to be out about NH across the pond. Must be the shopping. A good number of the B & B owners up north are from the UK. Every time I go hiking in the Whites I come across English accents.

You will fit right in.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
You're right for the most part - but civilian firearm ownership is not completely dead in England. My family and friends their still own long guns and shotguns for sporting use. As a teenager in various organizations in the UK, I cut my teeth on Enfields and the L1A1 (FN FAL), and now I'm out of California I'm free to exercise my interest in marksmanship again. Top Shot was a reality show to find America's most versatile marksman. In the end, an ex-Army Brit now living in Oregon won
Missed that post. On that Top Shot thing, that's only because the Top Shot folks haven't yet met up with my son LOL.

He's in kwiat just now but had been at paper punchin. He posted a recent target the other day on FB, and i posted a link to mine from another day, to git his dander up. I don't see as well as i did On the other had my ticker runs a little slow, and it scares medical folks. My blood pressure is way low and that really scares medical folks.

But living the life of the dead does improve my accuracy

How this is related, is some folks coming to NH just spaz out, and NH doesn't need that anymore than the new folks do. Some might prefer California, for Ca Law and the sun, of which as you know there isn't much. I should think similar, but colder and less of than perhaps England.

Then I read the Thames River, if that's right, is becoming similar to Hell, or perhaps colder than Hell.

I did ride on my motorcycle right over the London Bridge once, well twice really, since it now it dead ends out on Lk Havasu Az.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt and maria View Post
Hello all.

We are thinking of moving to New Hampshire from England, UK. We need lots of information about housing - rentals or buying, schools, jobs, cost of living etc.

We are both medical professionals. We have researched areas such as Rochester, Dover, Portsmouth, but don't really know where to start.

Looking for a good place to raise our children, good schools, safe neighbourhoods, etc.

Employment - which are the best hospitals and where? Many Job opportunities?

As we are English, are there good/not so good places where we would be welcomed into the community?

England has become very over crowded and ridiculously expensive. 3 bed 2 bath house £300,000 = $450,000 in an avg area. Gas $8,00 a gallon. $4,50 basic loaf of bread. $4 for 2litres of milk.

The UK government also seems hell bent on letting in all EU members regardless, including convicted criminals etc.

We are prepared to work extremely hard. Assimilate, obey the law, pay tax's etc.

Thankyou for taking the time to read our message. Best wishes to you all. Matt and Maria.

[+] Rate this post positively

Littleton Regional Hospital is always looking for people and are looking for some doctors right now. Check out Littleton area and Littleton Regional Hospital.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM

88 posts, read 196,201 times
Why do so many of the topics in this forum turn into "the Democrats are out to get us"? HOW is that relevant to what the OP is asking?

I agree with Valerie C, that most of the larger medical centers are in the Southern parts of the state. Cities like Nashua, Manchester, and Concord are great places to start looking. If you're more interested in suburbs, look into local areas around those cities, like Merrimack, Amherst, Bedford, Goffstown, or Exeter - all great places to start with good schools!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 48,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
Come on over. You will be fine and welcomed.

Regarding Brits and guns, a quick story.

I was helping out for the day at my local gun shop for their annual tent and blowout sale last labor day weekend. I was working the floor answering questions about reloading and other stock items. I had a conversation with an English couple who were visiting their son who lives in our area. They were looking for a part for an airgun he had that was broken. The husband asked me what it took to own a rifle in NH and I said as long as he had a clean record, (if he were a resident) all he had to do was pay the bill, wait 10 minutes for the background check and take his rifle home. Same for a handgun. That part really got his attention. so I told him that, in fact, as long as you had a clean record, the local chief of police had to issue you a carry permit if you applied. Had to. His wife then leaned in to me and whispered "how many people have these carry licenses?" I smiled and said "More than you can imagine. In fact, everyone in here who is wearing yellow." All of the employees were wearing yellow shirts. She was speechless.
I have to say that this is one of the many reasons I wish to come over to the US. People seem to have lost there identity over here in th UK. Very little pride and our freedoms are very very limited. I want my kids to have the freedoms you guys have. As I have said before. I want to work hard, pay my taxs, and be free. I was bought up with small cal firearms and loved plinking with my dad. Nothing like that over here now. pellet guns are ok but crazy expensive. $1000 for a good one.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
We will welcome you with open arms. When you get here, look me up. I don't care where you are in the state, I will make arrangements to take you shooting. Handguns and rifles, many calibers.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 AM

21 posts, read 48,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
We will welcome you with open arms. When you get here, look me up. I don't care where you are in the state, I will make arrangements to take you shooting. Handguns and rifles, many calibers.
Wow. Will do that. Many thanks. Very overwhelmed by all the great feedback we're getting. Great people, great country. Many many thanks to you all.

Last edited by matt and maria; 12-06-2010 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire