Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 AM

21 posts, read 87,214 times

Advertisements

Any advice on an old guy like me (50) getting a job across in the USA. I have been in Technical sales (Engineering) now for ever. Worked for a company across in MA and did my training there, (fell in love with New Hampshire).

My wife is an American who I have persuaded to move back. She is becoming more Englsih than I am....we can't have that. I need to get her back to her roots.

Anything that you might be able to help me with I would very much appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
50 ain't old. I did that about 10 years ago and I don't feel old. Hope you make it to NH.

Welcome to the colonies.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 AM

Thank you GregW you have just made my day...

Old 05-27-2007, 06:59 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Joppa - Hubby and are I both over 50 and relocated to NH last year (although not from across "the pond" <g>). He decided to change career paths from what he was doing and is very happy with his new choice and with New Hampshire. Don't let the "age thing" scare you. Age is just a state of mind!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
NH is just a beautiful state. If you have the money to live there, that is...! If I was wealthy, I'd move there in a flash. There are many lakes, mountains, and so much natural beauty in that state.

Good luck. I've lived in the UK (my husband is British born) and you may miss old Blighty, but there's always the internet if you 'need' a British fix (food).

Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

Thank you Gypsysoul and to Windchime for both your positive messages Both my wife and I get across the pond every year, but its usually to see her folks in either Florida or Atlanta. I have suggested we try and make our vacation a fact finding one in NH early next year. She keeps telling me that I have never experienced the cold like the NH cold I was there over a summer, when I worked in MA. The UK is not really seasonal, apart from it rains allot.

Gypsysould mentioned the money, I would have enough to buy a house outright (400K) but that would be it. We would need an income to support us both and our Newfoundland dogs. Both sons have moved away now and would be staying here in the UK. But they will come and visit. Its also so much cheaper to live over there, gas here is at $12 a gallon, Levi jeans are $120 a pair, yes you are reading that last line correctly.

We both like camping, walking, mountains and I know for a fact that the place is just wonderful for this type of pursuit. Last question, dog shows, anybody been to any in NH? Thanks again for your support.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Joppa - The cold does take some getting used to - especially up here in the northern section, but it's not as big a deal as I thought it would be I just learned to layer the clothes on and "dressed for the weather" and threw any kind of "fashion" out the window - as long as I was warm and comfortable, I really didn't care what I wore!

We make less than we did in NYS, (had we relocated more to the southern parts I believe the income potential would be greater - SOMEONE TELL ME IF I'M WRONG!!! <G>) but we have never needed a lot of money. We make enough to afford a home and all that goes with that, along with food, utilities, clothing, entertainment, etc. and are still able to put money aside each month. We did not buy a huge house, but then we didn't need one (there's only the two of us, plus our dog and cat)<g>.

While our dog is nowhere near the size of of your "Newfs", she is a good size dog and eats a lot....she's a Catahoula mix and has what seems to be never-ending energy, so burns a lot of what she eats <g>.....My sister had two Newfs - they would love NH!

I don't know of any dog shows, but I'm sure others will be on who will know if they have them in NH and where.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Thank you windchime, I agree with you on the fashion front. My wife is a dog walker and she is out in all weathers. Layer up is good, I can do that.

The reason why we want to come over early next year is to see for myself how cold it can get. Although I would prefer the fall with all the leafs. Yes I am a leaf peeper :-)

We don't need much money to live on either. But we would need to get by. We have two Newfs a border collie and two cats. We thinking more on vet bills and medical bills than anything else. We get medical for free in the UK and the vet bills are covered by our pet insurance which works out at about $100 per month. Is that cheap or expensive over in the US?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Joppa - The leaves here were absolutely gorgeous this past fall! I had a friend come from Maine and she couldn't believe how much more brilliant our colors were compared to hers <g>.

I can only speak for this area of NH with regards to the cold - it got darn cold! It was -25 for awhile and we were living in a rented farmhouse with little to no insulation during that period. We had the heat turned up but it didn't do much (hard for it to with the cold coming in through the walls!)...I wore layers INSIDE the house while we were there - my husband got a real kick out of me - two pairs of longjohns, pantyhose, three pairs of socks, two pairs of pants and four sweatshirts...but I was comfy.....It was also great when we got outta that place - Everybody thought I'd lost weight, because I wasn't layered! <g> Seriously, it was cold, but with the layers and common sense, we were fine.

I'm self-employed and my medical insurance (with a prescription drug plan) runs me about $300 a month. I will be eligible for benefits, though, with a new company I started working for and that will be about $100 a month and will include dental and vision, so I'll save some $$ there and have better coverage than what I have now. Health insurance costs vary widely depending on what coverage you want, where you work, what you do for a living, etc.

We don't have insurance for our pets (thankfully they are healthy critters!)- we just take them for their yearly shots, heartworm preventative, etc. - The cost for that at our vet last month was around $200, I can't remember the exact amt., but most of that expense was for the heartworm pills for the year, which I probably should have shopped on the internet for, but didn't. I don't know what health insurance is for pets - I've always had a dog, but never had health insurance for them....I'm not even sure where to get health insurance for pets, although a vet would probably know, if not someone in this forum......

Hope this long-winded reply helps you some

Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 PM

Hi windchimes, thank you for your answer, I don't think its long winded at all <g>

I'm still researching the NH area. You live in the north and I believe that you had one of the worst winters going this last year. It sounds like you had it rough with having to wear all those clothes and having to waddle around in the house <g> I hope you both managed to get out of the house. Do the roads keep open around you?

Would I be right in saying that the further north you go the cheaper the house prices are. But to find work would be a allot harder I would think.

I think we would prefer the north as the scenery would be better and the traffic would be allot lighter. As always thanks again for all your in put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire