Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 21,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
Your last sentenced conjured up a vision of itty-bitty draculas in capes flying around.....
Judging by the damage done by the critters, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM

143 posts, read 871,390 times
joppa

the scenery is better than the one is stamford

you can tell from my username where I'm from though I don't live up in the north east anymore.

don't forget the st georges mate are you into football mate? as that is no probs to watch.

my wife is from massachusetts but lovs NH too, certainly a beautiful state, enjoy the cold

Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppa View Post
Thank you for all your replys, it really gives both my wife and I something to think about. We are still looking through the properties all around the NH area. The pros and cons of either North or South are clear when I am looking over all the New Hampshire links. I think a couple of weeks exploring the area and looking over houses will do it for us. I promise that I will keep an update of what we do

The only thing that concerned me is driving in the snow and ice But believe me that will not put me off. St Valentine day snow???? I take it that was a bad day
joppa, have you looked at the homes in Bow (just outside of Concord)? It's worth a look, really.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,028 times
Default a slight thread detour...

Joppa, I HAVE to ask you... how do Europeans survive and what am I missing? I've done some travel throughout Europe (a little in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, etc) and I am amazed at the prices of EVERYTHING. I took a picture at a gas station in Paris recently - it was about 1.50 Euro for a litre of gas... putting it at close to $5.00 per gallon... clothing prices were outrageous, and dining out was also really pricey. How on earth do folks afford to live there? I can't imagine salaries for everyone are high enough to live comfortably? I smile when I come back to the States and pay what we do for gas and clothes and just about everything! I know things like healthcare are free, but I still cannot quite equate the two ways of life.
And before you ask, no matter where/how much I travel, there is no place like home in the US... and New England in particular.
I wish you luck in your relocation, and hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Joppa, I HAVE to ask you... how do Europeans survive and what am I missing? I've done some travel throughout Europe (a little in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, etc) and I am amazed at the prices of EVERYTHING. I took a picture at a gas station in Paris recently - it was about 1.50 Euro for a litre of gas... putting it at close to $5.00 per gallon... clothing prices were outrageous, and dining out was also really pricey. How on earth do folks afford to live there? I can't imagine salaries for everyone are high enough to live comfortably? I smile when I come back to the States and pay what we do for gas and clothes and just about everything! I know things like healthcare are free, but I still cannot quite equate the two ways of life.
And before you ask, no matter where/how much I travel, there is no place like home in the US... and New England in particular.
I wish you luck in your relocation, and hope you find what you are looking for!
In short, everything just balances out. If you're born and raised in a certain economy, then that's all you know and it's just "normal" to you. People who are good with money will live a comfortable life within their financial means, others will get into trouble (just as can happen here).

I'm actually finding that the salaries offered here are generally lower than those in the UK, obviously that will not be the rule for every industry or position, but it's what i've been encountering so far.
Regarding the gas prices, those in the UK are FAR higher than what you noticed in Paris, but that is kind of offset by the fact that the average car over there is more fuel efficient than what is found here. For example, it's become commonplace for modern petrol cars to get 40+ mpg, and modern diesel cars can get around 60-70mpg (making diesels HUGELY popular in the UK, for obvious reasons). Of course buying a vehicle is far cheaper here in the US though, which is lucky for us who live in an area with little to no public transport. I've found that car insurance is about the same as what I was paying in London (give or take a $100 or so), which surprised me to be honest.
Eating out can be a similar cost too, but it all depends on where you eat of course. Eat in a tourist location and bam.....a hurt wallet. Eat in a local-run place and it'll be cheaper, and most probably far tastier!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 PM

21 posts, read 87,214 times
Thank you all again for the various replies that have been coming in. (Southward thank you about the Bow area near Concord).

Snafu you are soooo right about prices in the UK as opposed to the cost of living in the US. As I have said in my ealier posts, my wife is from the States and she loves it over here but gets so mad at the prices we have to pay.

We actually go to America to see her dad every year and fill suitcases up with clothes for the kids and ourselves on every trip. Example of this is jeans at $120 over here in the UK with the same jeans priced in the States at $30. God only knows why we have to be charged so much, but they call it rip off Britain in our national press, so every one is aware of how we get ripped off over here.

Thanks daveyj27 for your very helpful reply, I too have been over there long before I decided to live there. I worked for a company out there in MA and enjoyed my visits. Of course I haven't been out there for the winters which you didn't mention in your reply? but you certainly seem to have settled for the same reasons I would want to settle there for. The landscape is to die for and the people are friendly and great to work with and for.

I got a bit of chill thinking about you finding work.........I would need to get work for us to live out there and at fifty that might be a problem? I am currently in sales, (engineering) but I'm with you on the job offers..... not sure I could take on the insurance sales job that you had been offered and turned down. I think I would have to do the same.

Both my wife and myself will be over there soon and the area and house hunting will start in earnest. Wish us luck.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
good luck mate

I take it stamford is the one in norfolk am I correct?if so there many more hills in NH than stamford

I'm from salford manchester and believe me NH america is brilliant,

nothing like a nanny state what england has

Old 08-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppa View Post
Of course I haven't been out there for the winters which you didn't mention in your reply?
I've been here a few times in the past when the snow has been on the ground, but i've never actually experienced the storms that dump the stuff. The closest i've come was when we were visiting a few years ago, a big storm was coming in and the weather reports on the telly were advising anyone with a flight coming up to contact the airline and get an earlier flight out. We phoned Virgin Atlantic and flew out a day before the weather hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppa
I got a bit of chill thinking about you finding work.........I would need to get work for us to live out there and at fifty that might be a problem? I am currently in sales, (engineering)
Your sales background should be a big plus in your favour to be honest. I seem to see shedloads of various sales positions being advertised on the various job websites out there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppa
Both my wife and myself will be over there soon and the area and house hunting will start in earnest. Wish us luck.
Good luck, I wish you both all the very best.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
Yep.
I also don't feel like I have the "Political Correctness Brigade" breathing down my neck here as much as I did in Blighty.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 AM

21 posts, read 87,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
good luck mate

I take it stamford is the one in norfolk am I correct?if so there many more hills in NH than stamford

I'm from salford manchester and believe me NH america is brilliant,

I take it you don't miss Manchester then The Stamford I live in is in the flat lands of Lincolnshire. Burghley Horse trials are what this town is famous for and yes we do have a lot of American tourists.

I will be watching the cup final this very afternoon (Man Utd v Chelsea). I know for a fact that you can get soccer over there so no doubt you will be watching it too? You mentioned about my interest in football, I love it......years ago I went on a soccer tour of America, when George Best, Rodney Marsh and co were all out there. Thats when I fell in love with America. I had my chance to move to the west coast then, but I was too young and stupid.

The winters out in NH are what both my wife and I will have to get used to. The winters here in the UK can only be described as nondescript We have Newfoundland dogs who will love the snow and cold. My other half is originally from Rhode Island so she is an east coast girl who prefers the North East Coast to any where else.

I am looking forward to moving across the pond, my youngest son now is making the right noises to move across with us. But being nineteen that could be a problem. He will be going to University in Liverpool for the next three years but after that if he wants to join us........well we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Thats my news so far if anybody can update I would love to know as I can't get enough of this forum. New Hampshire here we come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire