Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

51 posts, read 58,592 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been discussing for a few years where to go after we inevitably abandon the sinking ship that is California (we're in LA). Kids are coming in the next few years, and the deadline for exodus is coming at around the same time.

I grew up in NY, so I've been to Boston and the White Mountains (hiked Mt. Washington a few times as a kid), but this is our first trip to NH as "prospective immigrants." We are staying a few nights in Boston to visit friends, but we'd like to spend 1 or 2 nights in the Nashua/Manchester area. Specifically I have my eye on the Hollis/Brookline/Amherst area for resettling (I know, that area is basically Massachusetts... but coming from LA anything seems more palatable).

Our trip is scheduled for late March. Besides driving around and "taking it in," what would you recommend for someone who wants to get a taste of So. NH life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,750,656 times
So, you are the 4,583 person from California who as come to the NH forum this week ( and I'm only kidding somewhat )
looking to escape the nightmare of the "left coast". The area you picked is beautiful, and I would suggest you spend a lot of time there. Of course you should check out Nashua cause that is where you would be doing a lot of shopping, doctors, whatever. With kids I would also look at a town like Londonderry, and Chester if you want rural, but close to Manchester. Good luck

Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,312 times
with so many people fleeing CA and coming to NH, I just worry about the culture & temp shock! and then there's my niece & nephews who have done the opposite and headed out west (too much Horace Greeley!).

the Hollis/Brookline/Amherst area is very nice, and it does not feel like Mass. they both have excellent schools (hollis & Brookline school together). Brookline has always felt more rural to me, a lot more woodsy. Hollis is more farm -might have something to do with Hardy's having so many fields for the Brookdale Fruit farm! Hollis also has a cute, small town center area, I can't say as I've seen anything similar in Brookline. Amherst also has a nice, walkable downtown area. all are a bit on the expensive side (for NH). nice place to grow up.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM

202 posts, read 505,471 times
Please be aware that New Hampshire is a state that believes in very limited government and very limited spending. Our legislature went VERY republican last Tuesday. They have a veto proof majority and will be cutting spending and taxes heavily.

If you come to New Hampshire, please understand this. This is part of our history and tradition. People from California often think that the place they go to should be the same as California in terms of government services, hand holding, taxes, fees, etc. We don't want that here and we will vote down any attempt to turn our state that way. Our state government will not coddle you or cow-tow to you to provide extravagant services or programs.

Also, New Hampshire has a strong gun culture as well as a powerful fishing & hunting culture. We love our guns and we do not - in any way - have any kind of "gun control" like you have in California. We are a free state in terms of 2nd amendment rights and we will keep it that way. And do not be surprised if you see people out hunting, or if you see a deer or other critter that has been taken by a hunter. This is all part of our way of life.

Not trying to turn you off from moving here, but you must understand that the culture is VERY different from California. If you come here expecting some woodsy version of California, you will freak out when you discover the reality of New Hampshire.

Bear that in mind as you explore New Hampshire and enjoy your visit with us. If you can cast yourself into a more libertarian mind-set, you might actually like it here and might come to love our little state just as it is.

But if you come expecting us to be mini-California, you are going to be sooooooooooooooo unhappy.

Edit: Also be aware of what winter brings each year. If you are used to LA's weather then it will be a HUGE shock to you. Sometimes we get a LOT of snow, even in the southern part of the state. Other years it's not as heavy, but it is still quite consistent. So you will have to learn to enjoy outdoors stuff in the winter or you will go stir crazy being stuck in the house.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,296 times
If you want your children to receive a postmodern education lacking in facts, rigor and mastery but with heavy emphasis on skills for 'workforce training' (workers of the world unite!) and feeling good about ignorance, Hollis/Brookline, Amherst or Bedford schools are a good fit for your family. Constructivism is rampant and students create their own realities minus the logic required for rational reasoning. In this style of 'student centered' education, teachers do not even teach, and many barely facilitate. Two teachers in Hollis were arrested last school year and you will find articles and letters to the editor in each of these towns local papers concerning residents numerous complaints and ongoing issues with curriculum, methodologies and the creepy secrecy of the condescending liberal elitist educrats here. These schools are very controversial as well as being very expensive.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM

A lot of my motivation in picking NH as an option is my staunch libertarianism. I don't much like either ruling political party - the GOP for their social conservatism, and the Dems for their big government approach. I'm a believer in personal responsibility. I have made a very good living owning a small business, specifically one that many governments frown upon. A good friend just spent $1M+ defending himself against the Department of Justice, only to have the judge dismiss the case because the DOJ presented "woefully inadequate" evidence at trial.

I almost completely dislike government. I hope I got that question on the entrance exam correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
Please be aware that New Hampshire is a state that believes in very limited government and very limited spending. Our legislature went VERY republican last Tuesday. They have a veto proof majority and will be cutting spending and taxes heavily.

If you come to New Hampshire, please understand this. This is part of our history and tradition. People from California often think that the place they go to should be the same as California in terms of government services, hand holding, taxes, fees, etc. We don't want that here and we will vote down any attempt to turn our state that way. Our state government will not coddle you or cow-tow to you to provide extravagant services or programs.

Also, New Hampshire has a strong gun culture as well as a powerful fishing & hunting culture. We love our guns and we do not - in any way - have any kind of "gun control" like you have in California. We are a free state in terms of 2nd amendment rights and we will keep it that way. And do not be surprised if you see people out hunting, or if you see a deer or other critter that has been taken by a hunter. This is all part of our way of life.

Not trying to turn you off from moving here, but you must understand that the culture is VERY different from California. If you come here expecting some woodsy version of California, you will freak out when you discover the reality of New Hampshire.

Bear that in mind as you explore New Hampshire and enjoy your visit with us. If you can cast yourself into a more libertarian mind-set, you might actually like it here and might come to love our little state just as it is.

But if you come expecting us to be mini-California, you are going to be sooooooooooooooo unhappy.

Edit: Also be aware of what winter brings each year. If you are used to LA's weather then it will be a HUGE shock to you. Sometimes we get a LOT of snow, even in the southern part of the state. Other years it's not as heavy, but it is still quite consistent. So you will have to learn to enjoy outdoors stuff in the winter or you will go stir crazy being stuck in the house.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM

I think we'll be OK with the temperature shock (at least I will). I spent 18 years growing up in Southern NY, and then 4 years in Chicago (just a few blocks from Lake Michigan - crazy wind).

We live in a part of LA where a normal July day is 105. We both hate that. From one extreme to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
with so many people fleeing CA and coming to NH, I just worry about the culture & temp shock! and then there's my niece & nephews who have done the opposite and headed out west (too much Horace Greeley!).

the Hollis/Brookline/Amherst area is very nice, and it does not feel like Mass. they both have excellent schools (hollis & Brookline school together). Brookline has always felt more rural to me, a lot more woodsy. Hollis is more farm -might have something to do with Hardy's having so many fields for the Brookdale Fruit farm! Hollis also has a cute, small town center area, I can't say as I've seen anything similar in Brookline. Amherst also has a nice, walkable downtown area. all are a bit on the expensive side (for NH). nice place to grow up.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Haha it's funny I've been a lurker here for a year or so and I always read posts like mine. However when I bring up NH to people locally here, they think it's somewhere east of Nova Scotia, just to the left of Katmandu. I'm yet to find another Los Angeleno in the flesh thinking about trekking your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
So, you are the 4,583 person from California who as come to the NH forum this week ( and I'm only kidding somewhat )
looking to escape the nightmare of the "left coast". The area you picked is beautiful, and I would suggest you spend a lot of time there. Of course you should check out Nashua cause that is where you would be doing a lot of shopping, doctors, whatever. With kids I would also look at a town like Londonderry, and Chester if you want rural, but close to Manchester. Good luck

Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 PM

Interesting insights, I will do some Googling on this subject. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
If you want your children to receive a postmodern education lacking in facts, rigor and mastery but with heavy emphasis on skills for 'workforce training' (workers of the world unite!) and feeling good about ignorance, Hollis/Brookline, Amherst or Bedford schools are a good fit for your family. Constructivism is rampant and students create their own realities minus the logic required for rational reasoning. In this style of 'student centered' education, teachers do not even teach, and many barely facilitate. Two teachers in Hollis were arrested last school year and you will find articles and letters to the editor in each of these towns local papers concerning residents numerous complaints and ongoing issues with curriculum, methodologies and the creepy secrecy of the condescending liberal elitist educrats here. These schools are very controversial as well as being very expensive.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM

202 posts, read 505,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
A lot of my motivation in picking NH as an option is my staunch libertarianism. I don't much like either ruling political party - the GOP for their social conservatism, and the Dems for their big government approach. I'm a believer in personal responsibility. I have made a very good living owning a small business, specifically one that many governments frown upon. A good friend just spent $1M+ defending himself against the Department of Justice, only to have the judge dismiss the case because the DOJ presented "woefully inadequate" evidence at trial.

I almost completely dislike government. I hope I got that question on the entrance exam correct.
How soon can you get here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire