Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Travel time for the ambulance from the house to the hospital is irrelevant and shouldn't be included in your scenario, you wife would get appropriate care as soon as the ambulance arrived at the house.
How do you know the wife would have received appropriate care once the ambulance arrived? What if the Ambulance got in an accident on the way?
What if the EMTs forgot to stock the right equipment? what if the 911 operator mistakenly called an Ambulance service in Gorham instead of Londonderry? What if the ambulance got in a wreck going to the hospital driving 100MPH? What if? What if?

The only thing we KNOW is that the guy made it to the hospital safely and in time for his wife to deliver a healthy baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
In our town if you call 911 for an emergency, the dispatch goes through the State, I believe. So first, they ask a bunch of questions and dispatch the cops. These guys are all good fellows and I know each of them, would they deliver my kid? No. Since we have no ambulance here, next they call Hopkington and an on call EMT/Ambulance driver has to make his/her way to the fire station and then head out to my address. Your talking about 30-40 minutes or more in the middle of the night. Then comes additional time while they transport you to the hospital. God forbid, a situation happens that the EMT's are not equipped or experienced to handle.
Or, I could get my wife in the car and blast up I89 at 100mph and be at Concord hospital in 10 minutes or less.
No question here in my mind as how to proceed.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
"A BLS ambulance crew is more than capable of delivering a child, and it's likely they'd arrive at his house quicker than he can drive to the hospital."

I wasn't great math, but let me get this straight...

Scenario #1: It's 3AM. My wife goes into labor. The hospital is 10 miles from my house. I jump in the car and drive 102MPH.

Scenario #2: It's 3AM. My wife goes into labor. I call 911, explain my situation, operator contacts Ambulance, Ambulance leaves from someone unknown location and drives to my house, wife is transfered to Ambulance, Ambulance drives 10 miles to the hospital.

Which arrives quicker?

The distance between my house and the hospital is 10 miles.
Don't turn a thug into a hero....what is with this worhip of people breaking the law

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
How do you know the wife would have received appropriate care once the ambulance arrived? What if the Ambulance got in an accident on the way?
What if the EMTs forgot to stock the right equipment? what if the 911 operator mistakenly called an Ambulance service in Gorham instead of Londonderry? What if the ambulance got in a wreck going to the hospital driving 100MPH? What if? What if?
What if the guy plowed into a bus full of nuns, what if he hit a moose at 100mph, what if, what if, what if, all irrelavent. He made a concious decision which included violating a law that anyone on the road is aware of. The speed limit isn't a suggestion, it's a law, period, whether you agree with it or not. If you choose to violate it and get caught you have no basis for whining about it. letting him off sets precidence for others to do it, and someone will eventually kill someone else on the road.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
100 in a 55 is not an offense that merits a verbal warning, the law is what it is and it applies to everyone. From this and your previous posts it seems you thinking is that anyone should be able to break any law they want if they feel a need to and not be held accountable.
No not exactly, but these circumstances were beyond the scope of law. The law is a sort of average, there can be exceptions, and if there were not, we would never have flown higher than a man can jump.
At 4 am out on a 4 lane wide interstate not many cars excedding 6 feet wide, there is a ton of room to spare.

Cops, some EMy's and others can drive that fast, e race car drivers can drive that fast,and other people who understand cars can drive that fast.

Evidently this guy can drive that fast, and during times where I must deliver parts for a part of my earnings I see other people drive that fast.

I have driven my wife to the hosptial that fast. Infact I have driven a few cars made to go real fast alot faster than 100mph.

But in this one particular case where there was something of an emergency involved, in the wee hours where none to little traffic was, I have 0 problems.

I am sure the guy slowed down some getting off the highway too.

When I took my wife for a emergency hospital ride we went that fast on Rt 25 from Ossipee towards Laconia, and I slowed down in Laconia to a rapid pace. In the dinkweed towns along the way I slowed down too, but was never at or under any foolish speed limit.

I agree lots of button pushers for a living with no clue how things work, probably can't drive that fast.

To the poster who says it's the old tickers, I disagree, the old tickers are not the button pushers of today.

Older folks that always drove on ice and snow can still drive on ice and snow it's the younger people who have a problem.

If we as a people accted the ways we do now in the early days, man would never had made it to now. had we accted tis way conquering North America we would still be living in caves.

The idea we can legislate risk, so everyone is 'Safe' and 'Secure' just doesn't fly.If that were true there would be many jobs no one would do, logging as one example.

These days if a worker gets cut on a scotch tape dispenser a full series of reports has to be filed, and a rather large comotion is instilled.

The cop could have simply looked the other way. They do it for each other alll the time.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Yeah I don't know how it works down south in Masshampster. At 3 am around here if you call 911, they relay that to Ossipee, and then you tell a dispatcher. The dispatcher is likey to tell you no one is on duty, and to take the problem into your own hands. They may send someone out at 8 am sharp.

Around here help, if any that may come is measured in hours not seconds or minutes. I don't bother to call 911, and never have, since the last time I dialed 8 digits to get 0 help.

Besides it isn't any problem to beat the emt's anywhere.

This is past what law is ment to be.

Funny though the consrevitive types like me are branded for holding to the law, but when it's a better idea to break the law due to an emergency we are slandered for that too, being told we are heathans that don't hold up to the law.

It can't be both ways. I might suggest some of you try out Freedom once, before it's gone.

As close to being a sheep as I will get will be a nice button collar wool shirt.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM

263 posts, read 859,593 times
I think he did what he needed to do at that time....I also believe he should take care of his speeding ticket - he DID break the law, plain and simple. If I drove at that rate of speed anywhere, emergency or not, I'd pay my ticket, fine, whatever, and not expect to be let off the hook. I do NOT think he should see any jail time, if that is even part of this equation.
If it had been me (if I was a guy LOL) and my wife was in labor, I'd have done the same thing. I'd rather take those matters into my own hands as far as the birth of my child went, rather than wait around for an ambulance to show up....just my 2 cents FWIW.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,384,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiedoodle View Post
I think he did what he needed to do at that time....I also believe he should take care of his speeding ticket - he DID break the law, plain and simple. If I drove at that rate of speed anywhere, emergency or not, I'd pay my ticket, fine, whatever, and not expect to be let off the hook. I do NOT think he should see any jail time, if that is even part of this equation.
If it had been me (if I was a guy LOL) and my wife was in labor, I'd have done the same thing. I'd rather take those matters into my own hands as far as the birth of my child went, rather than wait around for an ambulance to show up....just my 2 cents FWIW.
Jackie, I was one post too late. You took the words right out of my mouth. I would have probably driven much the same speed to the hospital, knowing I was breaking the law. I would have also not expected to be let off the hook for endangering any other drivers that might have been on the road. I would pay my fine and not complain. He made a decision to break the law (quite excessively), so he should prepared to pay the fine. Don't we all do that every day when we're speeding up and down the interstates at 80+? We make the decision to break the law for whatever reason, and am prepared to pay the fine for the opportunity to break the law. Usually, the odds are with us. Sometimes they are not.

Glad he made it there fine and his family is safe.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No not exactly, but these circumstances were beyond the scope of law. The law is a sort of average, there can be exceptions...

The cop could have simply looked the other way. They do it for each other alll the time.
Exactly right, Mac!

There is exceptions to all laws (or should be anyways)

Oh, wool pants are great too!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,389 times
The father and the cop both did their jobs. End of story. The Dad isn't a derelict and the cop isn't a failure.

Now its up to the court to determine if the father should be penalized. My belief is that in light of the extreme circumstance and that no-one was hurt or close to being hurt...the answer is a very clear no- hopefully the court will determine the same (which according to what I'm reading is the expectation).

I would have done the same thing...I would not be mad at the cop (annoyed by the hassle of the situation, but not mad at him for doing his job). I for one want cops to follow the law (and not go above or below it); but I also want a justice system based on the law, fairness, and reasonableness. This justice system also includes the provision for extreme circumstances like this where a law was broken, but for good reason, and with no harm to others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire