Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,979,310 times

Advertisements

I had almost mentioned rocks myself, but didn't think anyone would care, or had bothered to notice. Vt is a part of the N American Continent, where as NH is not nor is Maine. There is crispy sharp division at the Ct river. 40 years ago I lived in Vt a while, and back then people minded their own bee's wax there. I guess it's changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:20 PM

64 posts, read 128,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontNative View Post
Hello New Hampshire!

I am VT born and raised, I have been out of the state for many years, heading back to New England next spring or so. I have family still in VT, who have suggested that I check out NH as a possibility to come home to.

So I am kind of looking for the 'cliff notes' comparison of the two states from someone who has first hand knowledge.

I started searching though these forums, with the assumption that the two states are quite similar, but there is some real love for NH on here, that has really peaked my curiosity.

Thank you for your time!
The part I have highlighted makes me think that your question has been answered right there. If they live in VT and recommend living elsewhere, there must be a reason.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,162 times
As a native Texan that up and moved 2200 miles to northern NH, without knowing a soul or having any work, I can only say that the allure of the "tax free state" is not entirely accurate. There is no such animal in the US. However, you must choose a state based upon your OWN personal situation. I was gutting/rebuilding houses and selling after 2+ years. Thus, I didn't have much personal taxable income. My property taxes went from $1307 to over $8ooo a year and since I am not much of a consumer the tax structure of NH became a detriment to my existence. So, I chose to make another blind move to VT. I still don't make a heck of a lot and still hate consumerism. But, I have a much nicer house and all comps are the same as the last house. (but I'm on a great trout river). I pay 2000 a year

In my OWN situation VT was a smarter move economically. If I wanted to create a "business" w/employees, storefront and all I probably would not chose VT. However, ALL people are given much more freedom by means of the internet. We don't need "storefronts, offices, employees, overhead" like we used to. I suggest delving deep into your OWN financial situation and being totally honest about your spending.

Of course there are plenty of naysayers about EVERY state on CD. Usually, they are the ones that feel trapped by pressure from family, finances or downright FEAR of making a move. Those people are NOT a representation of any majority of ANY state. I only suggest following your heart along with some honest research.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Once taxes were in line in NH but haven't been since 2004 for certain. Then you could say about the same thing going back to the first of the 70's when NH was over run at that time too.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 210,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara3967 View Post
The part I have highlighted makes me think that your question has been answered right there. If they live in VT and recommend living elsewhere, there must be a reason.
I think you might be missing the point. They weren't saying that I should not move to VT, they wanted to reinforce that I have all of the information, and done the necessary research before moving a family of 5, and my business 1500 miles North. Although I visit New England semi frequently, I have not been a a true tax-paying resident for 15 plus years, so my perceptions would be based on visiting vs living for my recent past, and not necessarily real-world comparisons.

Everybody has their opinions, some people think that living in upstate NY and driving 45 mins to Chittenden County is a good idea, some think Milton or Jericho. One person suggested the VT side of the border from Dartmouth was the best of both worlds. If there is money to be saved personally or more money to be made professionally in NH, vs VT, or ME, or vice versa - I am interested in learning as much as I can.

@swanstone1 hit the nail on the head with thoughts regarding internet access in New England.

And there is sooooo much conflicting data too. The COL index comparison on Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com says that I would need to make 20K more per year in VT, and that my housing costs will go up 64% in VT, 36% in NH. But a quick check of craigslist and local realtors suggest that I would be paying relatively the same per month, AND gain a basement (which we don't have here in FL)! Before someone chimes in on heating costs, remember I run my Central AC on high for 8-9 months out of the year. So when ALL of the numbers are crunched, somethings are quite similar, other not so much.

So everybody has their ideas, and the grass is not always greener on the other side, but then again, sometimes it really is greener.

Last edited by VermontNative; 01-25-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
As a native Texan that up and moved 2200 miles to northern NH, without knowing a soul or having any work, I can only say that the allure of the "tax free state" is not entirely accurate. There is no such animal in the US. However, you must choose a state based upon your OWN personal situation. I was gutting/rebuilding houses and selling after 2+ years. Thus, I didn't have much personal taxable income. My property taxes went from $1307 to over $8ooo a year and since I am not much of a consumer the tax structure of NH became a detriment to my existence. So, I chose to make another blind move to VT. I still don't make a heck of a lot and still hate consumerism. But, I have a much nicer house and all comps are the same as the last house. (but I'm on a great trout river). I pay 2000 a year

In my OWN situation VT was a smarter move economically. If I wanted to create a "business" w/employees, storefront and all I probably would not chose VT. However, ALL people are given much more freedom by means of the internet. We don't need "storefronts, offices, employees, overhead" like we used to. I suggest delving deep into your OWN financial situation and being totally honest about your spending.

Of course there are plenty of naysayers about EVERY state on CD. Usually, they are the ones that feel trapped by pressure from family, finances or downright FEAR of making a move. Those people are NOT a representation of any majority of ANY state. I only suggest following your heart along with some honest research.
Couldn't agree more with your overall impressions. As long as I can be in range of the NEK, wether it's working in Southern NH and trekking North for a getaway; or Chittenden County VT heading Northeast for leaf peeping, at this point of my research I don't care... I miss the mountains and the seasons, some Yankees just shouldn't venture South, I'm done down here...

Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,251,536 times
I know exactly how you feel. We're headed back in a few weeks.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I had almost mentioned rocks myself, but didn't think anyone would care, or had bothered to notice. Vt is a part of the N American Continent, where as NH is not nor is Maine. There is crispy sharp division at the Ct river. 40 years ago I lived in Vt a while, and back then people minded their own bee's wax there. I guess it's changed.
Sounds a bit like this article I read in the Burlington Free Press My Turn: What a difference 50 years makes in Vermont | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington, Vermont

Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM

VN, Are fire arms important at all to you? NY is just nasty over fire arms, where as Vt and NH are very good. In fact VT is best, number 1 in the lower 48, but if you want a ccw permit you have to get it in NH oddly.

No replies needed. I don't care, but to me they are exactly what i vote for.

I lived in Vt when I was around 19. Geeze I am 59 now. grrrrrrr
At that time Vt was more liberal than NH was, and according to your artical Vt was a land of conservitive. I never knew VT that way. However both VT and NH and as usual Maine are all tax and nannied states now, over run with flat landers who just love paying taxes.

At this point NH is almost a red commie state with far to many cops a police state, but it has been now a very long time. In 05 into 06 for 10 months I toured the USA seeking a better place to be.

I didn't find any, but I did find I am a part granite, and a part sugar maple, and I can't live with out either.

I could live in Vt if i could get work and i could live in NY if they had similar gun law, up by the Park and or the lake on the Vt border, but till the laws change I am locked to this state.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
VN, Are fire arms important at all to you? NY is just nasty over fire arms, where as Vt and NH are very good. In fact VT is best, number 1 in the lower 48, but if you want a ccw permit you have to get it in NH oddly.

No replies needed. I don't care, but to me they are exactly what i vote for.

I lived in Vt when I was around 19. Geeze I am 59 now. grrrrrrr
At that time Vt was more liberal than NH was, and according to your artical Vt was a land of conservitive. I never knew VT that way. However both VT and NH and as usual Maine are all tax and nannied states now, over run with flat landers who just love paying taxes.

At this point NH is almost a red commie state with far to many cops a police state, but it has been now a very long time. In 05 into 06 for 10 months I toured the USA seeking a better place to be.

I didn't find any, but I did find I am a part granite, and a part sugar maple, and I can't live with out either.

I could live in Vt if i could get work and i could live in NY if they had similar gun law, up by the Park and or the lake on the Vt border, but till the laws change I am locked to this state.
Hmm, I though there was a slight "correction" in NH after this past mid term elections?

We're always kicking around the thought of NH to get closer once again to family on the east coast, while staying out of liberal strongholds. NH is really the only place I'd consider leaving Colorado for, and even that's difficult.

One downfall for gun owners that choose VT is no suppressors. They have excellent carry laws though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire