Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

Hi every one, I'm so glad I found this forum, as I have so many questions to ask (sorry in advance for the long post).

My husband has been moved to Rochester, NH and we plan to move early may to live there with our 3 kids (8 years, 5 years, 8 months). We are really looking for this complete new life but would like to find the best place for us and our kids to feel good. We have many questions that we need to answer in order to facilitate our move.
- I'd like to find a job probably in the IT industry. I presume that I should not be too far from MA, and would preferably commute with public transport. What would be the best compromise between Rochester and Boston?
- My husband will have to go to Rochester every day, is it conceivable for me to commute to Boston or northern Boston every day? Otherwise where can I find a job in the area?
- What is the best way to find a good school for our kids? I've seen school rankings on the internet, but we don't have them at all in France and I'm a bit lost on what I really have to look at in order to choose the school.
- We are arriving in May, and we would like our kids to go to school straight away. Is it possible?
- Our kids don't speak English. Is it possible to have English lessons after school?
- What would cost a daycare for my baby that will be about 16 months when I start working?

We are planning to make a short trip in February to decide in which city we will be living. Therefore every information you can give me will be very usefull!

Thanks in advance!

Mariehildegarde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I have no idea what to say really, but dress very warm in February. That month until the near end is about as cold as it gets in NH.

Probably choosing a location to live should be near the Mass border somewhere near Interstate 95. To get to Boston you might take a train from Newburyport Mass. By car from Portland it's a bit over 1 hour's drive, and the closer you get to Boston the worse that drive gets.

I have no idea about busses.

My son is 30, his is almost 2, so I have no idea about schools.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Bonjour Marie

I did the opposite move, moving from New Hampshire to France, where I live now. I can't answer all of your questions, but I can help you narrow down your town selection a bit.

Probably the most equidistant town between Rochester and Boston is actually Newburyport, Massachusetts. It is well-connected to public transportation, with both commuter rail and bus service to Boston. The commute to downtown Boston is about an hour, whereas Rochester is at least 45 minutes away by car.

If you decide on New Hampshire instead of Massachusetts, you basically have three options: Durham, Portsmouth, or Exeter. Durham has both train (Amtrak) and bus routes to Boston, Portsmouth only has bus service (plus a bus to Durham), and Exeter only has the train. The train line operates very infrequently so I wouldn't advise depending on it.

Durham is the closest to Rochester; your husband's commute would only be around 20-25 minutes, but a commute to Boston would be a bit longer, around an hour and 25 minutes. Exeter would be about 40 minutes for your husband and an hour and 10 minutes for you.

Of course, there's always the possibility of finding employment in New Hampshire as well, although you would most likely need a car to reach it (Manchester is probably the most likely location).

If you're curious about particular school systems, you can do some searches on this forum, as education is a common concern. However, the Seacoast region has some of the best school systems in the state, so I wouldn't be too worried. Durham and Exeter, for example, are considered to have two of the very best school systems. On the other hand, I would advise against sending your kids to school in Rochester itself, as the schools' reputation is much more questionable there.

Hope that was helpful.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
another thing to keep in mind: while there may be more IT jobs in Boston, please don't overlook Manchester or Nashua (or anywhere else that might hire) in NH. The reason in particular is taxes! If you live in NH, which has no income tax, but work in Boston.. Mass will make you pay income tax for working there.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
All of the commuter options suggested only stop, except for the local commuter trains, in Boston. Most of the IT jobs are along the two beltways around Boston that are only accessible by car. All of the towns mentioned are fairly expensive but are very nice places to live. If you like small cities, Portsmouth is a gem.

I suggest trying to find an IT job working out of your home. A friend of mine just started working for a Virginia firm from his home in Massachusetts.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
You should be able to find an IT job in NH. Liberty Mutual in the Portsmouth and Dover area is doing lots of hiring as are several other companies in Southern NH.

Since your husband is working in Rochester and you will want good access to the 95 and 101 highways for your future job, I would look at the towns in the Oyster River school district: Durham, Lee and Madbury.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
but dress very warm in February. That month until the near end is about as cold as it gets in NH.

Because January has been such a breath of summer???

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
Smile Plr

[URL="http://www.plrprivatelabelrights.com/"]PLR[/URL]

If you decide on New Hampshire instead of Massachusetts, you basically have three options: Durham, Portsmouth, or Exeter. Durham has both train (Amtrak) and bus routes to Boston, Portsmouth only has bus service (plus a bus to Durham), and Exeter only has the train. The train line operates very infrequently so I wouldn't advise depending on it.

Durham is the closest to Rochester; your husband's commute would only be around 20-25 minutes, but a commute to Boston would be a bit longer, around an hour and 25 minutes. Exeter would be about 40 minutes for your husband and an hour and 10 minutes for you.

Of course, there's always the possibility of finding employment in New Hampshire as well, although you would most likely need a car to reach it (Manchester is probably the most likely location).

Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
Default Plr

[url=http://www.plrprivatelabelrights.com]PLR[/url]

Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Because January has been such a breath of summer???
Yeah Jan is a tad nippy too, but they are not coming now.

If they come back to read again here in my neck of the woods in NH it was -21.8F which is -30C, a tad chilley.

With out this everyone would be screaming man made global warming, but this is pretty normal weather for here about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire