Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM

215 posts, read 583,981 times

Advertisements

Gullible Hick, I thought the same about NorthernNHVillages and his curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM

81 posts, read 116,361 times
Yeah, we have to read between the lines to get to the truth. I think the best way to keep from getting steamrolled on this is for each of us to educate ourself about this project and then to share that info. with everyone who wants to know. If we email our friends and they email theirs, word will get around. Eventually the truth will come out that this is a bad deal for us in NH. It's not liberal vs. conservative or anti-business, it's just about corporate greed who sees us as "ripe for the pickin". Information is available for anyone who wants it from groups whose only agenda is protecting our NH way of life, our forests, our private property and the rights guaranteed to us in the State Constitution. We have a right to feel secure in our own homes and today many do not and should not. As they say, "Freedom isn't Free" and democracy only works when people show up and make their voice heard. We have to find the time in our busy day if we don't want to live in a state that looks like NJ. Go to Live Free or Fry - Citizens Against High Voltage Power Lines in NH it's very informative, not extremist, with links to many more sites.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
GH are we ripe for the picking, or the least expensive path, offering the least resistance?

I am wicked busy this time of year, there are so many USA internal problems I can't keep up on which to take in, and which I just don't have time for.

I stay this busy all summer into Fall when slack time comes. Being busy starts with sugar and ends with harvest, on top of for pay work. I have to hunt for pay work as well, since I can't be hired as a employee since i am walking wounded. That little pre-existing condition clause thang....

hence that DM/PM...

My last outside cause was Free Ward Bird.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Mac, I know what you mean, I thought I was too old to get politically involved with any issue, leave it to the youngsters with all the energy, but this one is over the top. Since our laws are all based on precedence, if we let it happen once, there is no end to it. I think it's better to nip it in the bud and send a clear message that we aren't willing to be pushed around. They would have been way better off asking the public what the best way to do something like this is and what can they do for us instead of just pushing us down and telling us to get out of the way. Why do they think they don't have to ask? I don't know where they're from but that's not how I was raised.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It just occurred to me that Connecticut has had the Connecticut Yankee nuclear plant dismantled and the units at Millstone point are also reaching their age limits. These losses amount to 2+ gigawatt of reliable power. They will need to replace this capacity and I'll bet they believe, not inaccurately, that building new power plants on the southern New England coast will be far more difficult and expensive than building them in Canada. Hence the need for a high capacity transmission line from there to them.

IMHO the public, driven by ignorance and fear, has far too much power in what are fundamentally technical issues. The public can block needed facilities that are required for a safe and reliable energy system. I believe their emotional negativity should be completely ignored when energy production and transmission facilities are sighted and build. I do not want my energy future determined by fearful children or greedy financiers but by engineers that know what they are doing.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 AM

The engineers that know what they're doing like the one's in Japan? So we're NIMBYs if we live in NH but they're smart if they live in Mass. and Conn.? For someone who doesn't care if they build this line or not, you sure are motivated to use any contradictions you can come up with to support it. If they don't want nukes down there, which is smart - you don't need to be a genius to see the potential for a catastrophy, why don't they follow Maine's lead and explore the renewables like tidal? The ocean isn't gonna hike it's rates like Canada did before and will again. Narraganset Bay seems like a logical place. Maine told Hydro Quebec to keep their power. They are generating their own hydro [river and tidal] and selling it to Boston - without putting up any towers. Towers are "old technology", it's underwater and underground now. Get with the program. You don't have to go by wagon train if you want to visit California. The future is in renewable energy that is produced locally. Why should we support a Canadian company who has forcibly removed people from their land, cut down a huge carbon absorbing forest right on our doorstep which was also a major source of the oxygen we require to breathe, and flooded an are larger than the state of Colorado, just to make money. If we connect with them we're saying we support that kind of thing, and we don't. It would never be allowed here. So NIMBYs are fine unless they get in your way, huh? They aren't gonna build any nukes in Conn. or Mass. or RI because they know better. They're gonna shut down the one in VT. too, because it's dangerous. Why do you suppose they tore down the one in Conn.? or the one in Maine? Build for the future. Solar, wind, tidal, etc. are all viable, renewable, and locally producable. Conservation instead of waste will further reduce need. This project has been shown to be unnecessary for reliability by ISO, the regional authority, it's a merchant project. That means it's only for the money, we don't need it and we don't want it. So, GO AWAY! to put it nicely. I could tell you how I really feel but they would ban me from this forum. I don't pretend to be neutral.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
FWIW - Are you saying that Maine is reviving the Passamaquoddy Bay project? Now there is tidal power.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

If you want to learn about Maine's renewable energy projects, google it. If you want to discuss it, start a new thread. This one is about the debacle known as the northern pass. If anyone has a concern about the health, economic, or environmental impacts of this proposed project on the people, wildlife, forest, ground and surface waters, etc. of NH, you can use the link: https://secure.netsolhost.com/northernpasseis.us/Involved/commentForm.asp (broken link) to make a comment. Be sure to ask for a study of whatever your concern is regarding, for example: I request you do a study about whether or not we need this additional power or I request a study of alternatives to the overhead lines. etc. etc. This is a chance to influence the future, we don't get many and it couldn't be much easier. You can zip one off in a couple minutes right on the computer. You only have a few more days though so don't put it off. The deadline is April 12. Do it now! It's important! If you like your state with more trees and less herbicides in the drinking water, act now. The Society for the Protection of NH Forests is a good source of info. on this proposed project. They have been holding meetings across the state in an attempt to educate the public about the negative consequences of this land grab attempt. Please help them spread the word and help protect our state from greedy profiteers. Send the link to everyone you know and tell them to ask for a study about their concerns. Keep NH Beautiful, and thanks for taking the time.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
This is for CT? Then let it be a CT problem. They can create windmills for power up every beach for all I care.

If this passes thru NH then we should tax, like the feds did on tobacaco some 2,650%, and with a tax like that we can have it BURIED, and take some icing off the top even to balance the g-dammned liberal budget.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

It's a NH problem now and only if enough people stand up for their rights will it become a Conn. problem. They are trying to steamroll this thing through. Most people have only a vague idea about it or haven't heard of it at all. If you ever stood by Profile Lake in Franconia Notch and looked up at the Old Man, you know NH is a special place. No matter how many times I saw it I was always amazed. To let this debacle go through as proposed is unimaginable, not to mention a slap in the face to all NH citizens and property owners. You would think that you shouldn't have to fight to keep what is already yours but that's not the case. If we don't speak up, foreign big money interests will steal whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire