Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that TJ's won't/can't open a store in NH because of the state liquor monopoly. Let's face it though. TJ's and Wholefoods are not exactly the New Hampshire way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM

47 posts, read 125,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
My understanding is that TJ's won't/can't open a store in NH because of the state liquor monopoly. Let's face it though. TJ's and Wholefoods are not exactly the New Hampshire way.
I'm down in the DC area and there are enough TJ's that it's hard not to trip over one. You folks aren't missing too much. The groceries that they do carry are good quality at a reasonable price, but nothing that you wouldn't find elsewhere. It's a store where occasionally you "find" something awesome, but I've done much better at farmers markets and butchers. If we have those in our concrete and asphalt landscape, I will just assume they exist up your way too.

I will say that if you're anxious for a TJ's, the ability to sell alcohol won't keep them out - at least, they have locations in NJ where I'm from, and grocers can't sell alcohol there.

I stopped in Philbrick's when I was out in Portsmouth once. That's a pretty good grocery store there. It doesn't help the OP in Nashua though, sorry! For that, it looks like Chowhound has a thread:

Organic produce etc. near Nashua, NH? - General New England Archive - Chowhound

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Try Henry Peterson on Peabody Row in Londonderry for the finest maple syrup anywhere. Sue Boudry's across the street for really fresh eggs and local honey. The BlackBerry Bakery in a strip mall near the Park & Ride off Rt 102 just west of I-93. There is Mack's Apples on 128 for apples after the harvest (some say that they may open early with fresh produce) or (?) on High Range Road for all sorts of fresh vegetables, apples and fruit as well as a very good bakery.

All this is available at one end of a very yuppified town. There is a place that also sells locally grown beef and bison. I think it is at the big farm stand on Rt 102 on the way to Chester.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
Default Organic Foods

So much to say. Firstly, I moved from the organic capital of the US - Boulder, CO to New Hampshire. It's like from oasis to desert.

It's REALLY important to understand Whole Foods is a crock of crapola. Their entire food bar is commercial and they couldn't care a bit about health. It's really just a big machine.

Onto organics....yes, there are options at the grocery stores. Fortunately, in Manchester there's an awesome, mostly organic, grocery store called A Market. Also, you can get some organics from various places - such as the conventional grocery stores.

Yes, there's a Whole Foods coming to Nashua so those in that area will have another option.

It's really sad that people here are so incredibly ignorant of the terrible effects of GMOs and pesticides both to human health directly through consumption and then in addition to their impact on the greater environment (water, air, land, and animals). Through this ignorance we are destroying life and our health while creating new health care systems and regulations. All at the same time giving greater freedom to large corporations to destroy health. Hmmmmm - someone is making a bit of cash in exchange for the health of our society and world. Oh well, if no one cares...keep up the good work everyone (yes I'm being sarcastic).

Hopefully, people wake up and realize that Frankinfoods and pesticides do not just 'go away'.

By paying more for clean foods you keep your toxic load down reducing pressure on your organs and reduce diseases.

Every so often - there will be another "study" that says organics do not matter. That's basically bull crap. Follow the money. There are HUGE interests in suppressing organics. Think about how massive the GMO and chemical industries are. Even the Surpreme Court has been bought on this issue by favoring "patents" over food and allowing organic and natural growers to be sued out of business.

Now Monsanto and Dow are in bed. It's all about owning everything related to our food systems - oh yeah chemicals too. Dow are the folks who bring us both agent orange and pesticides. Nice.

Don't be fooled. Get back to nature by supporting organic foods of every kind. Help your long term health, help the planet, help the next generation, and stop corporate chemical interests from taking over our food supply.

Maybe at some point someone will even open up some organic food stores here in NH. Now that would be a turning point!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
There's a small natural foods store in Hampton--it's bigger than it was and it just moved into a larger space. They have some food, mostly gluten free and frozen meals.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM

259 posts, read 601,738 times
Hey, kshayne. We moved from Fort Collins to Manchester in 2009. I shop at Hannaford and Market Basket, but now that the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are open in Nashua (plus there's a Costco there so I don't have to go to Sam's any longer), I just drive down to Nashua every couple of weeks to get the organic items I can't find in Manchester. A Market has very little variety, and I was pretty disappointed with it when we first got to NH.

We live in the heart of Manchester, but we have almost an acre and a half, so my hubby put in a huge garden, which is pesticide-free. I'm really excited about the garden this year. We're also going to get some chickens. Can't wait for that!

I joined the CSA one year, but I had to drive up to Concord every week to get my veggies, and I didn't feel right about that. Seems to defeat the purpose! I'm so glad we now have the option of growing our own. My sister is in the CSA in Boulder, and she gets her veggies delivered to her house every week. But that's Boulder for you. :-)

How are you liking NH otherwise? It's a BIG change from Boulder, isn't it? We love NH, although there are things I really miss about Colorado--the mountains and green chile, in particular. I go back every year to get my six bushels of green chile. My cousin in southern Colorado grows organic chile, so I always buy it from him. I peel, chop, and freeze it in ziploc bags, load them in a styrofoam cooler, put that in a box, and fly home with it as luggage. Well worth all the work. I've lived in Oregon, New York, and Switzerland, and in each place I had to go back to Colorado to get chile. Can't live without it. :-) But that's something only someone who has lived in Colorado or New Mexico can understand.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
How does driving up to Concord from Manchester defeat the purpose but driving to Nashua doesn't?

Support local farmers and leave Whole Fools to the chi-chi crowd. Wild horses couldn't drag me into that chain store.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
It sounds like Jukie is able to combine visits to several different stores into one visit to Nashua, but when going to Concord, it was a once-a-week trip, and only to pick up the CSA veggies. And that DOES sort of defeat the point of going CSA. We will be getting involved with a local CSA again this year, and pick up location will be at our office in Londonderry I'm excited about that! We have plenty of local orchards (not organic) and u-pick farms (also not organic) so this is an excellent option. We also have organic organic gardens at home (6 square-foot gardens, plus blueberry bushes) and I'm happy that we are able to pick our own veggies through the growing months

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
How does driving up to Concord from Manchester defeat the purpose but driving to Nashua doesn't?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Jukie, in case you aren't able to make it to Colorado in the future, a friend of mine in California gets Hatch chiles, diced and frozen, mailed to her from this company: http://www.hatch-chile.com/ She has been very happy with the service and with the chiles which I think she uses in everything she eats. She posts the most yummy pictures of chile dishes on Facebook, it drives me nuts.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:31 PM

120 posts, read 222,963 times
Whole foods supposedly coming to Nashua right? I heard there and Portsmouth as well.

Also Try Fresh market in Bedford, few exits up Route 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire