Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,931 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering a move to NH from the midwest and would like to know your suggestions for the best balance of culture, beach, urban life, safety, taxes, schooling (elementary/middle) and privacy.

My housing needs would be 2200 sq. ft. or more for family, more recently built (within last 5 years is optimal), attached garage for 2 or more cars (including lawn mower and snow blower), and a decent front/back yard for pets/kids (maybe 1/3 acre at least?). Oh, and budget can be up to about $450k.

Want to be able to walk around the neighborhood with my family during warm summer nights and not worry too much about their safety.

Also, do not want to drive further than 30 min to and from work.

Many have suggested Portsmouth, Rye, Hampton, Exeter, and obviously Dover where work would be, but I would like an opinion from true NH residents that have observed and experienced life in those cities and the trends in quality of life for each city.

Or perhaps you could recommend other potential areas that meet the criteria I've stated above.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Where do you work?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Sorry if I didn't mention it, but Dover is the location of the office.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
lodit,
I work for Liberty in Dover and live in Madbury. Best school district in the area, taxes about the same as Dover, decent property prices. 350-400 will get you a nice 4 bed on several acres - 450 will get a *big* house. Madbury elementary is excellent - I have one there. You can walk the neighborhood, but it's not a town like Dover, so you won't find any shops or cafes (same for most smaller towns), more like country lanes where you can pick raspberries right off the verge. Very safe area. Many of my neighbors don't lock their doors. 30 min to beach including parking. 20 min from Portsmouth for the best restaurants north of Boston.

Durham and Lee are REALLY nice too, but the taxes are high (which is depressing property prices). Don't believe the hype about UNH. The students are good, they hang out in places you won't, and are gone 1/3 the year anyway (and we get to enjoy all the land and facilities).

Several coworkers live in Barrington, which gets you low taxes, and lower property prices - and they tutor out to Dover or Oyster River high school.

If you want somewhere more built up, look at the better parts of Dover. I know you wanted a newer home, but also consider acquiring one of the classic victorians they have all over town and restore it. You'll have a mansion, 5 minutes walk from the town center. Take a drive around the Silver St. area and you'll see what I mean.

Somersworth and Rochester are probably not worth considering.

DM me if you want more info the area or Liberty. I can recommend a great realtor too.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
rmcewan is spot on as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I would have suggested anything different. I am partial to Barrington, myself, although it might be a bit rural for you. I liked it so much I bought some land there.

I am jealous of your upcoming move. Good luck...

Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 AM

5 posts, read 13,465 times
Newington.... half (or less) the real estate taxes and the towns mentioned. Within 7 minutes of down town Portsmouth, but live the rural life; and have more than enough land on your "estate" s addition to the amenities that 'living in Newington' afford residents.... Fox Point (residents only) area including walking trails, picnic areas, boat launch, dock, mourings; town tennis courts, town basketball courts, etc., etc., etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi T View Post
Newington.... half (or less) the real estate taxes and the towns mentioned. Within 7 minutes of down town Portsmouth, but live the rural life; and have more than enough land on your "estate" s addition to the amenities that 'living in Newington' afford residents.... Fox Point (residents only) area including walking trails, picnic areas, boat launch, dock, mourings; town tennis courts, town basketball courts, etc., etc., etc.
I'd agree there too. Newington is a well kept secret, at least for the time being. Being that close to the Great Bay is a good thing.

I can only imagine what being stationed at the old Pease AFB was like, having all that conservation and wildlife habitat on base. I believe its now a wildlife refuge. I took my dog out there last fall and was amazed at all the beautiful woods and fields around there (especially out towards the old nuclear weapons storage area). I wish it was still open so I could be stationed there.

I've never heard them, but I'd imagine KC-135s on approach over Newington might be a little bothersome for someone under its path. Other than that, Newington's a sweet deal.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Want to be able to walk around the neighborhood with my family during warm summer nights and not worry too much about their safety.
safety isn't really an issue in most of NH, but... go for a walk in prime "bug" time?? are you nuts??!!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi T View Post
But is there enough real estate in Newington? Everytime I look it seems there aren't a lot of housing for purchase.

Some LMers (I am one and I also work in Dover) live in Newmarket. Its an easy enough commute to the Dover office and also close to Portsmouth in case you end up working in the Portsmouth office.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks all for the information.
I've been checking MLS listings every day for the past two weeks, and darn if it's not hard to find a decent value at this time of year (probably due to summer and the tourist season coming up).
Also, the newer homes that are being built are a little too cozy (i.e small) for my liking and the builders are somewhat gouging the buyer for what they're getting (at least in comparison to the midwest).
That's a great idea to look at some of the older, established homes and consider a renovation upgrade, how much would you NHers say the average cost would run for a 2500-3000 sq. ft. home?
I found a couple online that would look stunning with a makeover, but prohibitively I'd have to hit 6 magical numbers to afford it.
I've narrowed the search down from Dover southwards down to Portsmouth, as I would like to limit my work journey to less than 30 min (even in the worst days of winter).
I'll consider Madbury and Newington also, since they're suggested areas that would meet my needs.
Now, for those in the know...any particular locations (streets, areas, zones) I should absolutely avoid along that corridor?
Thanks, and hope to meet you all at an annual BBQ (if there is one).

Cheers!

p.s. For an idea of the house style and design I'm generally looking for, take a gander at 44 Wholey Way, Portsmouth, NH...way out of the budget, but has pretty much everything my wife likes. Now, about those 6 magical numbers, any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire