Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 AM

38 posts, read 70,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Get her outdoah's. Winta's comin'! there will be plenty of time for music and art on the 18% gray days. There is living breathing art in the woods. Ahya! Sumah is wicked gud.

The schools should have local events in summer, sure these will be sports like, but just getting out to watch is a start for finding future friends.

This is NH and friends just don't appear on the door step.

The other day I bumped into a whiney city woman looking for who knows what. Soon in the conversation she asked 'Where is the compassion?', as she complained about her tourist husband abandoning her for sports. I looked her in the eyes and said this is NH there is no such thing as compassion. 'Round heya' you gotta get out and make what happens happen, no one else will do it for ya.

There are conservatory meetings around the state, where wildlife is a often subjected topic. If she isn't out doorsie she isn't going to have friends you would approve of anyway.

Hangin on the street with others who set about smoking, begging older folks to buy beer and that like, I believe I can safely assume you want no part of............. right?
Thank you! No, I do not want her anywhere near that crowd!
We love the outdoors and have been discovering something new every day in NH, Maine and Mass.
We'll keep up the good work - she'll adjust. She does love it here.
NH2NCMom gave me a ton of ideas, too.
Thank you for the 'wicked' advice. Ahya - whatever that means.
Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 AM

274 posts, read 371,121 times
Quote:
Wanna, I suppose, I neva' did understand wimin folk much, or stayin' in a box all the year long. What I do know, is from Fall to late spring everything is 18% gray, and if you don't get in the sun in sumah' you ain't a' gonna' Ahya. Her daughter is gonna be fish belly blue, and look like she has a condition!

I still can't understand this wild woman whoe's been chasin me around nigh on 2 score and five years. She says she's married to me, but who in their alledged right mind and being female would do such a thing?

Anyway I was making my usual febble attempt to be polite. It didn't seem to work out. Ahya

I just hope she has enough sence to not get into that gang at walmart. The ones that look like they belong in the Adams Family with black hairs and blue faces doing their nails the some purple way.

They look like the walkin' dead if you ask me.Ayha

Now Iffin' she's not gonna go out how's anyone supposed to know she's even theya'? Ahya
Uh, do you seriously talk like that?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
Uh, do you seriously talk like that?
No, but I am old enough to have heard it spoken Ahya

There once were common words spoken, that can't be typed on C-D, but wouldn't get you a knock'n the head.

Wicked, or wicket with a few more selections after are a part of it. And I just was being playfull on line and in words.

Some words still carry over now, but the old school folks are getting gone. Words like door yard instead of lawn, or front yard, are still heard.

Still there are places you can hear old yankee, and I can do it on a whim if and when I want. Even the local places could varry, with dialect in say a drive of 20 to 30 miles.

Very little is left of the old ways, and most everything is quite tame and homoginized now, just like almost every bit of the wild is gone.

Upper New England was once full of a lot of peoples that had different accents from French, Native with more than one language to the Scotts Irish and English, with some Germanic tossed in to make things interesting.

I doubt your'e really interested, but if you really are read up on old logging books like Caulked Heels and Spiked Boots, or old sailors accounts of coming to work in the deep water trades.

I come from old pulp paper stock, and remember how it was. Most of that idea as a business is gone now too.

Kate, My wife is a very good artist. Often times the most I see of her is a boxy face because she has a camera in it. Then she paints from the pictures she takes, in winta' when there is more free time for a female.

Right now she is knee deep in the weeds gardening, once that ends she is counter deep in canning, and freezes what's left. From sugar season till Harvest she is always busy outdoors, and so am I. Since June 21st we know winta's coming. In fact some sugar maple trees have begun to turn, not many, but some is all it takes to know that. She has no musical skills, but has been published twice for her poetry.

Me: I have no socially redeeming skills what so ever

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM

274 posts, read 371,121 times
Quote:
No, but I am old enough to have heard it spoken Ahya

There once were common words spoken, that can't be typed on C-D, but wouldn't get you a knock'n the head.

Wicked, or wicket with a few more selections after are a part of it. And I just was being playfull on line and in words.

Some words still carry over now, but the old school folks are getting gone. Words like door yard instead of lawn, or front yard, are still heard.

Still there are places you can hear old yankee, and I can do it on a whim if and when I want. Even the local places could varry, with dialect in say a drive of 20 to 30 miles.

Very little is left of the old ways, and most everything is quite tame and homoginized now, just like almost every bit of the wild is gone.

Upper New England was once full of a lot of peoples that had different accents from French, Native with more than one language to the Scotts Irish and English, with some Germanic tossed in to make things interesting.

I doubt your'e really interested, but if you really are read up on old logging books like Caulked Heels and Spiked Boots, or old sailors accounts of coming to work in the deep water trades.
I am interested, actually! I was being smart-alecky, but I do find it fascinating.
I've always lived in New England - MA, NH (Dover!), RI - but mostly in the city or outlying area, so I never really encounter folks that truly speak that way.

I looked up Spiked Boots and it looks like a great read. Couldn't find Caulked Heels. Maybe it's out of print?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I may have made a error that was/is one book title in my alledged head. So you have it. The fastest way to hear that tawkin' is a trip to West Paris Maine.

And since your interested, the word Yankee is very interesting. There is 1,001 ways to spell it frst of all; as Yanquish, Yungkee's, Yungquis, Yungquish, and so on.

How this came to be is that the with in reason, around or before 1502 the French first came to fish off the Grand Banks, and encountered the Native Peoples. Each of them had different lanugauage groups and different dialects and the combination for the French words mixed with the Natives words cause the word English to become a 1,001 different ways to pronounce English. Hence Yengquish, or Yankee's.

The oldest known French wreck lies off Kittery Maine 1502, and to this day amber French flint washes ashore from from it. On the bank (boat launch) at Strawberry Bank is a carreening ground, where to this day one can find black English flint, and more can be found along the Kennebec River in Maine. Flint was a ballast for tall ships and also a cargo.

All these words are from the combination of all these different languages, and mixed dialects, is all it is.

I can write in the old mannor at will, using V for U, F for S, but that would drive everyone nuts, and would not be welcomed at all in these times.

Most people live in the here and now, and don't care where they are going. They are content to just go somewhere.

I am not one of them.

In order to move ahead I must know my past, so I have a point in time to move from, just like a road map. If you don't know where you are on the map, you can't move and know where you are going.

Before, I did a living history dog and pony show. I learned quickly to keep my head up, speak clearly, even if I used strange words and to meet strangers. Strangers don't stay strangers very long in my presence. The result is I have no problems meeting new to me folks anytime I want.

Not all become fast friends, but then not all don't. I get to meet some very rewarding people in person and sometimes from on line. There is a hint of being on topic in there somewhere

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Kate View Post
Thank you - that is the best advice ever!! She will be a senior - hard move.
You're welcome Kate - some of my information might be a little outdated and I apologize, I'm going on my old memory banks and how Dover was about 9 years ago. So if some of the businesses are no longer there I apologize in advance - however I do believe for the most part they are. You should be able to pull up internet sites on most of that, or go to the dover city site. Not sure if the community channel still appears on TV or not (can't remember the channel number - like 22 or something) that also lists some community events.

Yes seniors are a difficult move, but has been done many times before. Have her go to the school now and learn her way around - at least she won't feel lost the first day.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
Hey there, welcome to New Hampsha! (yeah, we really do talk like that ) But actually, it's not just 'wicked'... In New England (well, from Boston north anyway) the word Wicked is used as an adverb and means EXTREMELY. ie: It's wicked awesome living in Dover! It's wicked hot outside! That lobster was wicked good! Or as in this infamous sign:

Anyway, your post should serve as yet another reminder that moving to a new area during the summer months is (surprisingly enough!) not always the best thing for the kids. I found this out after carefully planning ALL of our moves (2 cross-country moves, 1 move within town but to a different elementary school, then 1 move from MA to NH) to take place during the summer months. After we had been happily settled here in NH for 4 or 5 years, I was informed that since we always moved during the summer, my daughter NEVER got to be the new kid who was introduced to everybody... I was SHOCKED and honestly thought that I was doing the best thing for her. Reflecting on it though, from a kids point of view, she's right. Kids don't necessarily see ALL of the classmates that they'd otherwise get to say goodbye to, get contact information from, etc. Now I recommend to folks that they try (if at all possible) to schedule the move for mid-year. Kids will adjust better than we might think.

Anyway--I'm glad that NH2NC and Mac have given some helpful advice (unlike mine, which is just blah blah blah after a MUCH too long day running around in the hot sun!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Kate View Post
Hi everyone!
We have been in Dover 7 weeks and it is awesome!! Oops - wicked!

My 17-year-old daughter needs to make friends. Any suggestions? Group activities? Social scene? Theater stuff?
She is not an athlete - she is very arts and music oriented.

Thanks!
Kate

Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM

124 posts, read 312,651 times
Quote:
Wanna this is that strange woman been followin me around so long. Now I don't know much, but she looks pretty happy if you ask me Bookish you say? That doesn't get you all cold and clammy.
Stan: So it seems like we have enough people now. When do we start taking down the corporations?
Hippie (takes a drag on his joint): Yeah man, the corporations. Right now they're raping the world for money!
Kyle: Yeah, so, where are they? Let's go get 'em.
Hippie: Right now we're proving we don't need corporations. We don't need money. This can become a commune where everyone just helps each other.
Hippie: Yeah, we'll have one guy who like, who like, makes bread. A-and one guy who like, l-looks out for other people's safety.
Stan: You mean like a baker and a cop?
Hippie: No no, can't you imagine a place where people live together and like, provide services for each other in exchange for their services?
Kyle: Yeah, it's called a town.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully Foyle View Post
Stan: So it seems like we have enough people now. When do we start taking down the corporations?
Hippie (takes a drag on his joint): Yeah man, the corporations. Right now they're raping the world for money!
Kyle: Yeah, so, where are they? Let's go get 'em.
Hippie: Right now we're proving we don't need corporations. We don't need money. This can become a commune where everyone just helps each other.
Hippie: Yeah, we'll have one guy who like, who like, makes bread. A-and one guy who like, l-looks out for other people's safety.
Stan: You mean like a baker and a cop?
Hippie: No no, can't you imagine a place where people live together and like, provide services for each other in exchange for their services?
Kyle: Yeah, it's called a town.

Huh? Where did that come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire