Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times

Advertisements

latest track brings it over the state of VT and skirting NH. That usually means we won't get the deluge of rain nor the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
latest track brings it over the state of VT and skirting NH. That usually means we won't get the deluge of rain nor the wind.
Usually if the track is west than the right front quadrant of the storm will hit NH meaning a greater amount of wind and rain. However, the exact track placement still has quite a bit of variability. 50-60mph winds with higher gusts might be likely at this point with 4-9 inches of rain based on the computer model I just looked at.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
The way I just understood what I saw on the news is that areas to the left/west of the storm would get more tropical downpours, while areas to the right/east of the storm would get the majority of wind. It appears that it'll be Category 1 or a TS by the time it gets through to NH. Still, 60 MPH winds are going to be problematic (I don't think school will start Monday morning here in Londonderry...)

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM

263 posts, read 859,456 times
I run a home daycare and if I lose power for a day or more, I can't have the children here. Unsanitary conditions without water=no kids=no paycheck. Bummer.

I have today off and am taking the time to bring in my potted plants from outside, take down our canopy/awning, bring the slides etc into the shed, move lawn chairs into the shed, then go shopping (probably with a million other people) to get some bottled water, etc. LOL

I'd rather be over-cautious and have some extra's than under-cautious and not have the things I need in the case of days without power.

I have NH co-op and I always seem to be one of the last in my area to get power back. Most of my town has PSNH. During the ice storm a few years back, I had no power for 7 full days. Uggh.

I'll err on the side of caution!!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I have started to get light weight things out of the wind too. Garden tools, garden tables, metal wood pile coverings, and moving vehicals away from tall trees.

The tables for the garden will be placed upsode down, so the legs stick up, and maybe the wind won't get under them.

I fear for the garden too, as the corn is just coming to be ready, with maybe 12 ears harvested so far, a little getting frozen. The tomatoes are getting big, but not ready at all to be plucked off the plants. The rest should be ok.

Take another look or two around for things that might get air born, and don't forget to look up, and get vehicals way from tall trees.

I am going to go pull the green house pastic cover now, and just leave the frame. More chores, as always.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Londonderry here, and PSNH customers. We were 9 days without power following the ice storm, and at least 5 days without power the following year after that huge wind storm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiedoodle View Post
I have NH co-op and I always seem to be one of the last in my area to get power back. Most of my town has PSNH. During the ice storm a few years back, I had no power for 7 full days. Uggh.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Londonderry here, and PSNH customers. We were 9 days without power following the ice storm, and at least 5 days without power the following year after that huge wind storm....
I'll be honest- I'm amazed at how quickly power was restored after the ice storm. I drove around and there were so many major lines/poles down in so many places it was insane- yet somehow most people got power within a week despite the entire grid getting basically rebuilt in many areas.

My worry is the ground getting soaked then the wind pushing trees over (particularly the large/shallow rooted pines). The storm surge (with a new moon) will also be problematic along the coast.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I went with out power 14 days in that last ice storm, but didn't miss much for it. Didn't loose any food bought the day before either. Ice was just everywhere.

Being dead center in the ancient volcano called the Ossipee's I wasn't going to be the first guy to get power back with 56 poles snapped off, and a anchor rock of one sitting smack center in a one lane road.

My LL of the time complained fiercly that I should somehow move that rock, while he would do nothing, not even allow me the use of his D-8 dozer.

So off I went with a kidde sled, coffee, fresh home made don uts, 4 come-a-longs, 2 chain saws, 60 feet of 3/8th inch chain, and i moved that rock.

But not by myself. In fact I never laid a hand on it. When I got there, a work crew to get rid of that pole was there. One guy told me I would be waiting awhile. He said they could not move their pod crane truck untill the new pole was re-planted.

I just grinned and asked if he wanted any coffee and donuts. By that late in the storm repairs I had a rep as the coffee guy

They all had some of both items I had, and asked where my truck was LOL. I just pointed down past them and made sure they had all they wanted.

One asked why I had the tools, and I said after you guys are out of My' Way I am going to put that bolder in the brook, come Hell or High Water, and high water would help!

Then they pondered on if the pod/crane truck might move it, and it just barely did. That bolder is right where they left it too, in the brook.

If anyone wants to see My Bolder, just go up to Marble Road, and park at the bridge pull out. Walk back the way you just came, and look for the largest bolder in the brook. You will know the right one when you find it, since it still has a steel galvinized eye bolt in it.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
I'm sitting in an RV right now, with some dead and leaning trees on the well-saturated hillside right behind me, so I'm packing for travel and trying to remember any treeless parking spots I've seen around here.

Maybe the wind won't get that bad, but hey - we have wheels, so I'm gonna play it safe.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Be Free, Any place the trees can't fall, but can be a wind break, and not in any low places or near dry brooks. I might make suggestions if I had a rough location, and if that is north of concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire