Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
We are originally from MA, moved to Maryland for the past 6 years for a job relo and now thinking of heading back to the area. We like NH over MA for many reasons. We are looking in Southern NH and was wondering what areas do people recommend. I have 2 school aged children- high school and middle school.

I have done so much research and talked to a few real estate agents, but of course they can not really talk about schools...

We have researched- Windham, Chester, Londonderry, Derry, etc and are more confused then ever.

Any help would be appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,247 times
Living on the Seacoast most of my life I always advise Portsmouth, Exeter or Hampton, all great school systems, low/no crime, active small communities

Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,378 times
My response from other threads about Londonderry schools - edited as time has passed:

My own personal experience with NH schools is through three family members who have gone through the Londonderry public school system. None ever had problems with bullying, drugs or anything negative at all. All received excellent educations, and all three were accepted into the top schools in the country in their chosen fields of study. All have now graduated with undergrad degrees from those top schools - two went on for graduate degrees - the third chose to take a job after completing a BS degree. All three are employed at top companies in their respective fields. They are all intelligent, creative, well-rounded individuals, and successful and happy. I have seen much the same with their friends from the same school system.

The last family member graduated from Londonderry High School in 2008. ValerieC also has kids in the same school system, so when she chimes in here, her information will be more current.

I'll just add that I really like living in Londonderry. It feels safe, is clean, has access to four lovely apple orchards/farm stands, a nice library, and I personally like the shopping options along 102. The one downside I would mention is the Woodmont Commons planned community that will bring 1300 new homes to the town. I can't find one overview of the project at the moment, but you could start here with some articles about it: Woodmont Commons - Londonderry, NH Patch This is the town's website about it, although it isn't really user friendly for somebody new moving here: Londonderry, NH - Woodmont Commons PUD Master Plan Page If you plan to move to Londonderry, I would do plenty of research about it, especially as to where in town you want to purchase a home. I'm sure the traffic from this community is going to have a seriously negative impact on the town, but as the project is on the eastern side, the homes on the western side may not see as much of an impact. I hope.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,825 times
Thank you so much for the replies. Londonderry was one of the communities I was looking at. Luckily I dont have a commute (home office) so schools are the primary factor at this point. Havent they been talking about the development in Londonderry for a while? It seems like before we moved to MD, we had heard about it.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
you could always come to this side of Rt3... Hollis schools are tops and the town is very nice.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
We also chose Londonderry back in 2001, mainly for the strong school system (many AP classes in the middle and high schools, for the strong student who needs to be challenged, there is a highly regarded early childhood program, and there also is a strong Special Ed. department, very beneficial to those families that may require these services).

What I didn't know about before I moved here is the awesome HS band, the Marching Lancers. These kids are outstanding--nearly 300 band and color guard members. On any Friday night from September to November, 300 high school students are rallying behind the local football team They travel extensively, at no cost to the taxpayers of Londonderry. Since 2008, the band has traveled to Beijing, China, Pasadena, CA (Tournament of Roses Parade), NYC (St. Patrick's Day Parade) Washington DC (Inauguration 2008 & upcoming 2012), and countless local parades. They are traveling to Florida during April Vacation. They practice throughout the summer (1 night a week), spend an entire week at Band Camp to learn the halftime show. If either of your kids has any musical inclination at all, this may be of interest to you.

Overall, I also enjoy the quality of life in Londonderry. While I sometimes consider moving to a more rural area, Londonderry does have quite a bit to offer. Nearby farms offer U-Pick (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, apple, pumpkin, etc). as well as farm stands to just purchase what you need. I like the easy proximity to Rts. 93 and 101. I like that I can live in a town with 25K people, yet have multiple choices for grocery, restaurants, hardware store, etc. Many of these are locally owned, so I can stick by my motto of shopping local instead of supporting nationwide chains. Of course Londonderry is not perfect--does that even exist??

The Woodmont development is of great concern to all Londonderry (and to a lesser extent, Derry) residents. This has been going on since Woodmont Orchard was sold in Jaunary 2010, and at this point, NOTHING has been approved. The next Planning Board meeting is this Wednesday (Jan 9) and I expect a full house will be in attendance. This development is the first PUD in New Hampshire, and there are still many unanswered questions. I think it's great that the developer isn't being allowed free rein (others may not agree). I attended most of the charrettes that the developer held back in fall 2010,While the optimist in me says that it could become like Portsmouth, Exeter, etc. and offer a European-style walkable downtown (think brick or cobblestone walkways, low traffic streets, local vendors, artesians, etc.) the realist in me knows that it's going to be a mix of local and national stores (think The Loop in Methuen, or more realistically, Mashpee Commons on the cape), along with some major commercial development in the areas closest to the highway (the words "hotels", "hospital", and "convention center" were tossed around at the charrette)...

OK, enough on Londonderry... Let's talk about a few of the other towns on your list

Derry: 2 words: HIGH taxes! Derry property owners are being stretched almost beyond the breaking point, with the arrival of their tax bills in November. The 2012 tax rate is 30.47 per thousand (compared to Londonderry at 20.50) Ouch!! Pinkerton Academy is a great school, but you have other nearby towns to consider if Pinkerton Academy is your goal.

Chester, Hampstead and Auburn (as of Sept. 2013) tuition their HS students to Pinkerton. Yes, it's a long bus ride, but for many of these parents and the students, the trade off is worth it. All three of these towns are quite a bit more rural than Londonderry: you'll need to travel for shopping, hospital/doctor visits, etc. This may or may not fit what you are looking for...

Hopefully more folks will chime in here soon to help answer your questions... Other than schools, what sort of things will you be looking for in your new town? Do you prefer to be in a more rural setting where you might have a couple of chickens for fresh eggs? Do you want to be in area that has cultural offerings, museums, fine dining? What means HOME to you?

Last edited by Valerie C; 01-06-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM

72 posts, read 92,294 times
Been in Londonderry for 16 years. Put 2 kids through school here and it was all very positive.
I would also look at Bedford and Windham. If I had to do it again, those would be my other choices. We are not fans of the Seacoast area, too much influence from the people south of us moving into NH. Nashua and Salem are not a good option.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM

72 posts, read 92,294 times
IMHO the Woodmont project will never happen here. The burocracy of this community with its selectman will run these folks off to another community. Too many people wasting time debating every shingle that will be used in the grand scheme of things. I believe we need a developer like this to come into Londonderry. We feel surrounding towns are adding very nice upscale amenities while Londonderry is stuck in the 90's.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post
IMHO the Woodmont project will never happen here. The burocracy of this community with its selectman will run these folks off to another community. Too many people wasting time debating every shingle that will be used in the grand scheme of things. I believe we need a developer like this to come into Londonderry. We feel surrounding towns are adding very nice upscale amenities while Londonderry is stuck in the 90's.
Don't worry--the developer isn't going anywhere. They've got millions of dollars wrapped up in the Woodmont property (and all of the other lots that they've been purchasing under various names for the last dozen or so years). This plan has been in place for decades, and they have already said that it's a 20-year plan. This 2 years of meetings, etc. is a GOOD thing. What the developer would like is for the town to roll over and let them put whatever they want in--and the taxpayers will be shelling out the money for additional police and fire fighters, plus vehicles (they want to put 5-story buildings in--do you think our little ladder trucks will handle that??)

You do have a point though, about other towns adding upscale amenities, but remember who pays for those nice things: the residential tax payer. Would I like to see an auditorium for the concerts, the drama club presentations, etc. and maybe rent it to dance companies for recitals, etc.? Sure I would, and hopefully that's one of the things that will be added to Woodmont. It was discussed at the charrettes, and at several of the meetings that I've attended. What sort of development do YOU envision in what is now apple orchards and rolling hills?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,059 times
Near Nashua/Manchester, the top towns for schools are Hollis, Amherst, and Bedford. We chose Amherst 17 years ago as Bedford did not have its own high school (it does now) and Hollis had an older high school building and a town battle on building a new one (has been built).

Check the overall stats on the schools and talk to people. I have two in college that went through the Amherst school system from k - 12 and they are doing well. The third princess is a junior in HS and doing well also.

So. NH is a great place to raise a family. We love it here. An hour to Boston. 30 minutes to skiing. 45 minutes to the beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire