Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:25 PM

178 posts, read 801,239 times

Advertisements

here is a related NH tax question : What is a "VIEW" in terms of the "view" tax on houses in nh???? If any one of your windows looks out upon a pleasant "view" like your garden, your neighbors' garden, a park, pond, creek,. or stand of shrubs/trees,etc., is that a "VIEW" which would be taxed? And is it the local assessor who decides if your "view" requires a view tax? I guess that would be the case, but suppose that some could say it was a bit subjective. Does anyone on this site have to pay a view tax and if so, what is the amount? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
You also pay higher taxes if your less than 1 mile from a school. $4000 in taxes on $125,000.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Gee-- that's way too high on a $125,000 house!! What town is that in?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
here is a related NH tax question : What is a "VIEW" in terms of the "view" tax on houses in nh???? If any one of your windows looks out upon a pleasant "view" like your garden, your neighbors' garden, a park, pond, creek,. or stand of shrubs/trees,etc., is that a "VIEW" which would be taxed? And is it the local assessor who decides if your "view" requires a view tax? I guess that would be the case, but suppose that some could say it was a bit subjective. Does anyone on this site have to pay a view tax and if so, what is the amount? Thank you.
I believe it's mountain and valley views, not just "any pleasant landscape." But that's sort of the problem, it's completely subjective.

The View Tax is another example of how NH's state motto is a big fat lie.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I believe it's mountain and valley views, not just "any pleasant landscape." But that's sort of the problem, it's completely subjective.

The View Tax is another example of how NH's state motto is a big fat lie.
The view tax is another example of a non-issue stirred up by the media. There is no tax on view, there is tax on a property's value as assessed by the town, and that is based on local real-estate market values. View, water frontage, school closeness and quality, construction quality, state of repair, etc. all play into the market value.

A 4 bedroom house next to the municipal landfill is going to be worth less than a 2-bed cottage on the Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront.

If you're complaining about "view tax" you're really just complaining about the massive increases in real-estate values over the last decade. And if that's the case, then join the line the rest of the country is already in.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 AM

rmcewan: Well, that puts it in perspective, though I don't think most places I've lived in take into consideration a house's proximity to a good school in the house's value. Though I suppose that it in fact does make a house less or more valuable to some, not all, buyers. Thanks for your post.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
rmcewan: Well, that puts it in perspective, though I don't think most places I've lived in take into consideration a house's proximity to a good school in the house's value. Though I suppose that it in fact does make a house less or more valuable to some, not all, buyers. Thanks for your post.
The "average" home buyer in the USA is a family with 2 children. That's why schools are a significant part of market value.

If a particular area has consistently "good" schools, it becomes less of a factor. However, in NH, with schools principally paid for by towns there are large variations in school quality within small geographical areas.

(I quote "good" because I think these purely statistical-based evaluations we have these days are only a starting point. There's far more to a good school than good scores. Do you want to go to the best school in the district only to find out they're the "best" because every kid slaves 4hrs a night on homework?).

Last edited by rmcewan; 08-28-2007 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
The view tax is another example of a non-issue stirred up by the media. There is no tax on view, there is tax on a property's value as assessed by the town, and that is based on local real-estate market values. View, water frontage, school closeness and quality, construction quality, state of repair, etc. all play into the market value.

A 4 bedroom house next to the municipal landfill is going to be worth less than a 2-bed cottage on the Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront.

If you're complaining about "view tax" you're really just complaining about the massive increases in real-estate values over the last decade. And if that's the case, then join the line the rest of the country is already in.

Good way to put it in perspective I suppose.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,307 times
It is a non issue about view tax. I used to drive my motorcycle from Manchester through Dunbarton up a big hill on Rt 13. When I got up top it had a fabulous view of some valley in Goffstown,Weare ???? I'm sure that view/House is worth some bucks. If/when I win the Florida Lotto I will buy a second home in NH and live in FL and NH.

My uncle has a summer house in on the coast of Biddeford, Maine that he bought in the 60's. Actually he bought the lot and had a plain 2 story house built. The neighborhood has a lot of old yankee money. We used to camp on the beach with my grandfather and slept in the car before my uncle bought the lot.

He now pays over 10K per year in Prop tax because its on the coast. Same house with more land 1/2 mile inland would be about 2-3K in taxes. That is what the NH people would classify as a view tax. Total value of property. My uncle always complains about the tax but it has probably increased in value 3-4x what he paid. Probably sell it to some yuppie for over 1 Mil someday.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
IS there a list of prop tax for each county? I am sure they vary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire