Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times

Advertisements

The difference between a hero and a spectator is the willingness to risk your self to help a stranger. You guys are heros - the others spectators.

Driving on snow. good tires, practise in a parking lot, then keep the hammer down and steer a lot! (just kidding)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,493,755 times
I think one of the keys is to accept the fact that you're gonna slide.. When you turn you're gonna slide, go around a rotary you're gonna slide, esp when the roads aren't cleared yet. I'm not sure why Keene insists on havin so many rotaries but its kinda stupid really, yeah they look nice but TOTALLY impractical for winter driving. One of the issues with driving in the snow/ice is having to make turns so they decide to put in HUGE turns on main roads? I dread going around those cause it never fails to slide around at least one during the course of a day. The hub got the cop car wedged sideways in a smaller one and he had chains on the tires....

If you try and fight it and over correct to keep yourself from sliding then you're gonna be in trouble. Just let the car slide some. Go very slow and stop WAYYY back from stoplights and other cars.. Stay away fro the sides of the roads and try to drive directly in the middle.. People usually make up their own lanes before any trucks get out cause the won't put reflectors in the middle of the road so the lines on the roads completely dissapear so its more of a guessing game about where your lane is.. The slush on the side of the road if its sleeting is dangerous to veer into casue it'll pull your car to the side and if you panic and overcorrect you're gonna spin out and slide. Just be careful and practice a lot!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
The difference between a hero and a spectator is the willingness to risk your self to help a stranger. You guys are heros - the others spectators.
Colebrook - Greg said it very well. You guys ARE heroes - thank you.

I sometimes wonder if a fire extinguisher should also be part of a "survival kit" for the car....I *think* they make some specifically for vehicles, don't they? Might be a good thing to have in the car, just in case? I dunno..kinda thinking out loud here......

Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,333,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Have you been through white-pine pollen season yet rmcewan? Everything has a greenish/yellow glow for a couple of weeks, and it's important to leave car windows closed while in the driveway, etc or it gets on everything in the car, similar to dust in the southwest I would imagine...
Yuk- I hate that pollen

Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 AM

885 posts, read 2,662,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Have you been through white-pine pollen season yet rmcewan? Everything has a greenish/yellow glow for a couple of weeks, and it's important to leave car windows closed while in the driveway, etc or it gets on everything in the car, similar to dust in the southwest I would imagine...
Oh golly. I think we've got mostly oaks around my property.... The trees on my street in cali were huge pollen makers too.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,296 times
wow, both Colebrook & Kelley are heroes!!!

How awesome!

And what I meant about dirty cars here being a cultural difference--in SoCal it's practically a religious rite to keep your otherwise dust covered vehicle spotlessly polished and shiny. It's so noteable that when N. Cal & SoCal teams meet, you can clearly tell which cars in the pkg. lot are from SoCal because they are unrealistically dust free. Of course this isn't a phenomenon which is 100% across the board, but it's consistent enough to make the generalization. Hope that makes sense!

Kudos to you NHers keeping your cars clean throughout the winter. I'll bet it's much better for the paint to get that dirt/sand/salt off of it than to leave it on.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Driving in snow - one must accept the snow and become one with the slide. This is actually fun once you figure it out. Drifting a rotary with a giant Buick wagon is a complete blast and actually quite easy because the thing has a reaction time of a drugged snail. An old VW beetle on the other hand would spin in an instant. On dry pavement even.

I suggest a CO2 or dry powder fire extinguisher clipped to the passenger foot well. I may suggest this but I haven't done it. Yet.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,493,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
Driving in snow - one must accept the snow and become one with the slide. This is actually fun once you figure it out. Drifting a rotary with a giant Buick wagon is a complete blast and actually quite easy because the thing has a reaction time of a drugged snail. An old VW beetle on the other hand would spin in an instant. On dry pavement even.

I suggest a CO2 or dry powder fire extinguisher clipped to the passenger foot well. I may suggest this but I haven't done it. Yet.
lol see now I might like skiddin the rotary in a big wagon! That'd be like a cool slow motion matrix move.. However in my little kia sportage its a fast action get your heart pumping cause I'm totally about to hit a parked car move, and well my ticker ain't in the greatest shape so jump starts, unless needed by a defib aren't really welcome

On the bright side if my husband pisses me off I can strap him to the front of the car, and take a rotary and perhaps skid him into compliance

Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Empty Park & ride lots are the key to learni9ng how to drive on snow. Start with learning how to stop under control. Then learn how to turn in both directions. After these are learned then skidding en either direction with the front, rear and both ends of the car should be learned. Then snow & ice-covered roads will no longer frighten you. Other drivers will have to do that.

Last edited by GregW; 01-30-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: font change

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
A couple of weeks ago, the wife and I were coming home from shopping in Berlin. Along the stretch between Errol and Dixville we come across an overturned SUV. There were 5-6 guys standing around it. I stopped to see if everything was alright, the guys said the people were still inside ! There was a man and a woman inside the overturned SUV and nobody was doing a GD thing about it ! I crawled inside the truck as the woman was crawling out, she was wearing her seat belt. The man was stuffed up under the dashboard all rolled into a ball. I asked if he was alright. He started talking weird and rambling on about all the paper work he has to do. All this going on while people are hollering about gas leaking out.I grabbed the guys arm and pulled him out from under the dash and then hand him out to the guys on the outside. After checking to see if every thing is ok Barb and went to the Balsams to have them call the Colebrook FD. What pi**** me off is why didn't anybody else try to get those people out of that SUV ??
Colebrook what a great thing you did!!! I cant even imagine what the others were thinking just standing there looking? We need more people like you in the world. I dont get how people can just do nothing...what the hell is wrong with people??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire