Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this but all you prospective heroes should find and take a Red Cross First Aid course. It will provide you with knowledge you should have for yourself and others. The Red Cross will also back you if you get sued for trying to help.

Last edited by GregW; 01-31-2008 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: font problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post

I hate to say this but all you prospective heroes should find and take a Red Cross First Aid course. It will provide you with knowledge you should have for yourself and others. The Red Cross will also back you if you get sued for trying to help.
Does NH have a "Good Samaritan" Law - where if you help someone out of a vehicle or house where their life is in jeopardy, you can't be sued?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Does NH have a "Good Samaritan" Law - where if you help someone out of a vehicle or house where their life is in jeopardy, you can't be sued?
Let's put it this way--even if we don't, good luck finding a jury that would find a Good Samaritan guilty in this state.

We haven't lost ALL common sense just yet.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Let's put it this way--even if we don't, good luck finding a jury that would find a Good Samaritan guilty in this state.

We haven't lost ALL common sense just yet.
I asked because in NY they DID have to pass that type of law, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous - many people would stand by and not help out because they were afraid of being sued. They would call "911" and that was the extent of their involvement. I'm not saying all people were like that, some would help others and worry about a law suit later, but they were rare. One of the reasons we left NY was because it was getting to the point where "common decency" had to either be legislated or anyone who exhibited it had to be protected, it was just plain absurd.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
A couple of weeks ago, the wife and I were coming home from shopping in Berlin. Along the stretch between Errol and Dixville we come across an overturned SUV. There were 5-6 guys standing around it. I stopped to see if everything was alright, the guys said the people were still inside ! There was a man and a woman inside the overturned SUV and nobody was doing a GD thing about it ! I crawled inside the truck as the woman was crawling out, she was wearing her seat belt. The man was stuffed up under the dashboard all rolled into a ball. I asked if he was alright. He started talking weird and rambling on about all the paper work he has to do. All this going on while people are hollering about gas leaking out.I grabbed the guys arm and pulled him out from under the dash and then hand him out to the guys on the outside. After checking to see if every thing is ok Barb and went to the Balsams to have them call the Colebrook FD. What pi**** me off is why didn't anybody else try to get those people out of that SUV ??
Colebrook, you are to be commended for you bravery and kindness.

Some of the training I've had through out the years, though, has taught me to NOT move people in an accident like that so as not to cause further injuries. Of course if the SUV is on fire then it's a whole different story.

Thank goodness for good samaritan's like yourself.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter View Post
Its easy to drive in the snow, just respect it, slow down. 4x4 is the best, followed by AWD then front wheel drive.

I have driven in snow all my life and I strongly disagree with the poster that said pick ups are poor in the snow. I would take a 4x4 over an AWD anyday in the snow
I agree NHHunter. I to am a daily pick up driver. Never have had a problem. When the weather gets bad just slow down. Deep snow, I just put the truck in 4x4 and drive steady.
We never let a little snow stop us from our plans. We are also never in that much of a rush where we would risk life or limb be driving to fast for the conditions.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
I asked because in NY they DID have to pass that type of law, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous - many people would stand by and not help out because they were afraid of being sued. They would call "911" and that was the extent of their involvement. I'm not saying all people were like that, some would help others and worry about a law suit later, but they were rare. One of the reasons we left NY was because it was getting to the point where "common decency" had to either be legislated or anyone who exhibited it had to be protected, it was just plain absurd.
Hey that law is what put Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine in Jail in NY!!! BOOO I don't like it, that law ended my favorite sitcom!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
I agree NHHunter. I to am a daily pick up driver. Never have had a problem. When the weather gets bad just slow down. Deep snow, I just put the truck in 4x4 and drive steady.
We never let a little snow stop us from our plans. We are also never in that much of a rush where we would risk life or limb be driving to fast for the conditions.
Its not the snow thats dangerous, id rather drive in 2ft of snow than 1/32 of ice. Thats really the only road condition that scares me

Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter View Post
Its not the snow thats dangerous, id rather drive in 2ft of snow than 1/32 of ice. Thats really the only road condition that scares me
The slush is bad too.. when the snow/slush falls theres never a difinitive lane anymore so you gotta kinda hug the center cause the slush will pull your tires in if you get too close to the side and you're gonna loose it and A) get stuck or B) Skid and loose control

Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
[color=black][font=Verdana]The old Buick, with worn out all season tires don't always follow my own advice) did OK on the 6 in of snow (18 in plow drifts) this morning. Just went slower and stayed off thegas. Thatbig old V-8 will spin the tires on dry pavement if I want so snow/ice mix just take patience, practice and a very light foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire