Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM

178 posts, read 801,070 times

Advertisements

hello to the outdoor people. Would you say that hunting, incl. big game hunting and hiking is better in the western mts or the mts of the northest? Just the hunting experience itself, not counting the fact that there are more mts in the west. so if you liked those activities, would you be unhappy in the northest just because there were fewer total mts and ranges there? thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 03:19 PM

215 posts, read 583,715 times
30apples

Hunting here in northern New Hampshire is a lot different than out west. We have mountains but not like Colorado has mountains. We also have some God awful swamps. We have alot of land owned by big lumber companies who don't mind you hunting on their property, which is good. The deer run a little heavier up here compared to the southern part. We also have a moose permit lottery. I believe it is truly a sportsmans paradise.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
I have hunted Washington State, and now reside in NH. Both have pros and cons. Big game is more plentiful in Washington. But skill is more in need here in NH. Out west if you can shoot you can get pretty much what ever they have long range. Here you have to know your games habits more and Know how to Track Much better due to the terrain.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 AM

178 posts, read 801,070 times
thanks for the input. Hadn't thought about the different aspects of the terrain, though should have guessed as much.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
30apples

Hunting here in northern New Hampshire is a lot different than out west. We have mountains but not like Colorado has mountains. We also have some God awful swamps. We have alot of land owned by big lumber companies who don't mind you hunting on their property, which is good. The deer run a little heavier up here compared to the southern part. We also have a moose permit lottery. I believe it is truly a sportsmans paradise.

I saw your note about lumber companies allowing people to hunt on their land... how do you find out about what areas have land like that and get access to it? We just moved to southern NH (from Minnesota) and my husband is a big hunter.... and he's been struggling to find land that he could hunt on in the fall (he wants to get out and scout it during the summer/etc). I'm hoping to find some for him to cheer him up (as the move back here was based on getting closer to my family ) Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:59 PM

215 posts, read 583,715 times
JTM6,

Have your husband ask a land owner/farmer if he could hunt on his land. Let him market himself, by this I mean approach the owner not looking like a looney but as a neat, respectful ,caring and someone who really will respect the wishes of the owner. Perhaps offer some of his harvest to the owner. Nine times out of ten ,the owner will give you his/her permission.I have done this a few times and it works. Just don't come across as a know it all and be respectful to the owners requests. I hunt in the area of northern NH known as the Magalloway ,very remote and wilderness. Plenty of room for your husband to roam around in if he wants.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,313,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I have hunted Washington State, and now reside in NH. Both have pros and cons. Big game is more plentiful in Washington. But skill is more in need here in NH. Out west if you can shoot you can get pretty much what ever they have long range. Here you have to know your games habits more and Know how to Track Much better due to the terrain.

So which state do you prefer?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
So which state do you prefer?
Well, we live in Colorado, and were considering moving to NH.

You can't even compare CO to NH, as CO simply BLOWS away pretty much any other state besides AK in terms of National Forests, State Land, and BLM.

I don't know the exact numbers, but more than 50% of Colorado is open to recreation.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM

63 posts, read 200,152 times
Default and don't forget

And West Virginia has that, and the nice people too..wild and wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire