Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 8,899 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Mount Washington Valley- North Conway. I moved back from AZ as it is just a nicer, safer place to raise children and have them learn and enjoy simplier things in life- like bike riding through the woods and floating in the river's current...skiing, making snow forts etc. My kids have LOVED living here (and they were city kids) and the independence they have discovered. It is safer and you can let your kids experience a little more while you stand at a distance and watch. North Conway area offers a lot, you should look into it. There is nature and trails and forest everywhere, literally out your back door. At the same time there are lots of restaurants, shopping and other things you may be used to having more readily. There are also lots of home rentals available for short and long term- you should spend a vacation here to make up your own minds. I can help if you are interested as I have both worked in real estate and have several friends who rent homes in the area.

Last edited by KPNH; 12-13-2011 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: programming script in body of text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Stress free living? Do you realize a lot of people *leave* New England in search of that? NE winters can be stressful even for people who have lived here their entire lives.
I'm a big believer that you tend to long in your heart for what you never had growing up. Most people who grew up in the country want the city because of all the entertainment and excitement and people who grew up in the city get sick of the rush and "rat race" and want a slower pace of life. My wife and I both grew up in the "concrete jungle" in the suburbs. While I admit a lot of our dreaming of the countryside is very much a romanticised idea in our heads, I have family that made the move years ago and never looked back. They're happier and healthier now and that's something we envy!

Stress factors in lives are always different for everyone, city and country chickens alike! I think the big thing for us is like what KPNH posted after you. If I can let my kids experience something I would have loved as a child, the freedom to run around a piece of property without the majority of fears like living in the suburbs/city, it would help our stress levels immensely. We can't even let our kids out in the front yard here, which is a sad thing to say because 30 years ago when I was a kid it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
If you have 1-5 acres you're probably not going to be in a city setting. You'll have private water well, private septic, a fuel tank, and maybe DIY trash removal to contend with. Not to mention having to drive everywhere for stores, kids activities, & restaurants. You'll have a big driveway to clear snow and ice.

Everyone is different, but for me these things all add to my stress. I prefer to live in the city to mitigate some of this. The roads are cleared and well lit. I live close to everything. Water, fuel, sewer is all piped-in/out without worries. I've lived here my whole life, love the 4 seasons, rain, snow, cold, (I hate the summer heat= stress). Stress-free living? No way! Just the opposite- but the stress builds CHARACTER!
We're definitely not wanting to be anywhere near a city. The "town" I live in here has 120,000 people in it and I'm definitely not looking for anything similar, so living in or near Manchester or Nashua would not interest us. Concord or even as small as 5,000 people will probably suit us just fine. If we can drive an hour to go to a "big box" store to save some money, that's great.

BackToBasics

Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Renting for a year first is a great idea, and so is coming up for an extended vacation during the later winter.
Yes! We're actually contemplating coming up there for a week from Jan 2nd to Jan 9th. My wife is a teacher so she has a narrow window for when she can sneak away on her winter vacation.

But the other side of the coin is that's $1,000+ we'd spend on airfare, car rental and a place to stay. Plus that's assuming my folks could watch the kids while we're gone. We can't afford to fly all four of us out there. We'd much rather save that money towards possibly moving there in June/July and give NH a trial run for one year to see how we adapt to the climate and all of the changes. From everything I've read, the people are very friendly in NH overall. If there is even a general concept of "live and let live" there in the air and a helluva lot less "keeping up with the Jones family", I think we'll be thrilled with the change!

I'm just waiting to see if she decides to work one more year or not, which means a move in summer 2013, instead of next summer. That might allow us greater financial freedom, but she's definitely getting tired of the amount of stress at work and I'd love for her to be able to walk away from that knowing she'll help more in the day-to-day lives of our kids.

BackToBasics

Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM

I lived in AZ and I remember not being able to let my kids play in the front yard, go for a bike ride or walk without me. It's so different here, it's changed who they would have grown up to be, made them more confident and curious and...just happier. They aren't playing video games or on their IPOD and IPhone and IPad after school- they are running around the neighborhood with 5 other kids playing chase. Normal chidlhood...not like what they would have experienced in AZ.
As a side note, I have a friend in Tamworth/Chorcorua who has a 10 acre renovated (nicely) house that he has seriously been considering downsizing from...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

if you are interested and have an email address I can forward you some pictures of a place to rent in MWV- North Conway for the time frame you have in mind. The hotels in the area are expensive, and the demand is so high they don't have to update or keep them up. The home is in a nice quiet family neighborhood that is affortable and filled with trails, kids, close to town, skiing, skating, etc. It would give you a good idea if this is something you want for your family. The home is not a current rental, but the owner has other places and has "lent" out the home before. Not sure of the cost for a week, but less than the cost of a hotel and you would get a better gage on life in the area.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM

497 posts, read 953,810 times
Quote:
If you have 1-5 acres you're probably not going to be in a city setting. You'll have private water well, private septic, a fuel tank, and maybe DIY trash removal to contend with. Not to mention having to drive everywhere for stores, kids activities, & restaurants. You'll have a big driveway to clear snow and ice.
Ya;

forgot to mention the trash thing....

In my little town there is no trash pickup unless you pay a private company. that means packing it inthe truck or car, and taking it to the transfer station....recyclables too.
To Conway, the closest town with stores [ala grocery, gas, and ANY other needs] is an 8 mile drive. But Conway, in full summer tourist, is 8 far miles away...
The traffic in summer could kill you, till we found the ins and outs...

Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 6,753,818 times
The lack of traffic most of the year north of Concord will add years onto your life

Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Ya;

In my little town there is no trash pickup unless you pay a private company. that means packing it inthe truck or car, and taking it to the transfer station....recyclables too.
To Conway, the closest town with stores [ala grocery, gas, and ANY other needs] is an 8 mile drive. But Conway, in full summer tourist, is 8 far miles away...
That garbage thing is actualy not a strange as one might imagine. The towns of Acton , Concord , Carlisle mass all do not have trash pickup.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,253,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Ya;

My "dump run" is one of the highlights of my weekend. It's a pretty easy way to catch up on what's happening around town talking to some of the local folk. After the dump, a trip to the General Store for a coffee and a newspaper and i'm all set. Life is good.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM

497 posts, read 953,810 times
Exactly Ken;

One of the best ways to round out a saturday morning.

Boy we are an exciting bunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire