Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM

562 posts, read 660,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Can anyone tell me just how cool it is in Oct? I have read the weather chart things, but sometimes they are that accurate. I mean should we pack all sweaters and heavy coats? Do we need mittens and hats? Or is the temp more on the mild side as opposed to being cold? I know it can rain, which I will love, so I will bring the umbrellas. I just want to make sure I dont over pack too much of the heavy stuff if I am not going to really need it. Thanks all.
I'd pack a nice fleece jacket, and maybe a gore-tex over jacket to put on top of that if it gets cold AND rainy. Otherwise a nice fleece, or even a sweater should be fine. I have one sweater I bought from Cabelas which has 'wind shear' lining, and I'll tell you I went out with just that sweater on in 35 degree weather and was just fine. It's wool, but the lining keeps that itchy feeling off you. Long johns are always welcome too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,860,520 times
Used to live in NH many years ago and now am in Vt, so basically the same deal. I have seen October day temps hit 80 (2005) and also drop into the 20s. It's not unusual to have 40 degree daily variations. I would say be prepared for rainy, windy, cool days and any day that is not be thankful for. I do quite a bit of hiking in October and am always prepared for the worst just in case.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,957,329 times
Default LL Bean

If you "forget" to pack anything, it may be worth it to take a detour to Visit L.L.Bean Outlet Stores (http://www.llbean.com/shop/factoryStores/index.html - broken link) Their products are fantastic, price is even better than catalog, and quality is guaranteed for life. Stitching comes apart? It's covered. Zipper breaks? Covered!

Here is their policy: Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.

I've found time and time again that it's worth it to buy it ONCE at LL Bean.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,494,033 times
oh you're right valerie LLBean is fantastic, I prefer them over NorthFace.. Just me. I bought my winter coat there and my gosh is that think warm! They are sooo worth the money

Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
oh you're right valerie LLBean is fantastic, I prefer them over NorthFace.. Just me. I bought my winter coat there and my gosh is that think warm! They are sooo worth the money
It sounds funny to me to be talking about winter clothing..I cant sleep tonight cuz it is so hot here yet again, I just turned on the air conditioner. I HATE hot weather. Us panic attack suffers have a hard time in the heat. It seems to bring on more attacks. I have been having one after another, to where I cant get more than 2 hours of sleep a night if I am lucky. I hope moving to NH will give me some of the peace and calm that I so desperately need. I would love to be shopping at LL Bean, Lands End, even VS for some sweaters and jackets...I love wearing a soft cozy sweater with a pair of jeans and ugg boots. I might get to do that here in Jan if I am lucky.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

562 posts, read 660,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
If you "forget" to pack anything, it may be worth it to take a detour to Visit L.L.Bean Outlet Stores (http://www.llbean.com/shop/factoryStores/index.html - broken link) Their products are fantastic, price is even better than catalog, and quality is guaranteed for life. Stitching comes apart? It's covered. Zipper breaks? Covered!

Here is their policy: Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.

I've found time and time again that it's worth it to buy it ONCE at LL Bean.

I couldn't agree more. Everything I have bought from L.L. Bean has been worth more than I paid for it. The quality is tops and they have a great selection of stuff to choose from for whatever your need may be. I have a few sweaters from them and a LL logo sweatshirt. The sweatshirt looks like anyone elses in the catalog, but when it arrives on your doorstep, it isn't, it's MUCH better quality, and thick. I think I could go broke if I went to the actual store

Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It sounds funny to me to be talking about winter clothing..I cant sleep tonight cuz it is so hot here yet again, I just turned on the air conditioner. I HATE hot weather. Us panic attack suffers have a hard time in the heat. It seems to bring on more attacks. I have been having one after another, to where I cant get more than 2 hours of sleep a night if I am lucky. I hope moving to NH will give me some of the peace and calm that I so desperately need. I would love to be shopping at LL Bean, Lands End, even VS for some sweaters and jackets...I love wearing a soft cozy sweater with a pair of jeans and ugg boots. I might get to do that here in Jan if I am lucky.
The heat does bring on panic attacks, your body is working overtime to cool you off and it can make things go crazy. I esp have problems becasuse I have what is called Dysautonomia and neruocardiogenic syncope so my body cannot regulate my B/P heart rate, sweat, and breathing at the same time. Therefore when I get hot my blood pools in my legs, I get tachycardia, I hyperventilate and pass out. I also do not sweat, at all so when i get hot I become overheated within 5 mins and because my body cannot cool off it is very dangerous. I dealt with that for 23 years and living in South Fl where the average temp. in December is 80 degrees. That was hard! I've noticed with the cold weather up here I'm able to go for walks, and not feel sick a lot and my panic attacks have literally diminished. The pace is MUCH slower than where I came from and its rubbed off on me. I can take it easy, things don't feel as "important" or like urgent I guess. Before I had to rush to go the grocery store to beat traffic, or lunch rush or Tee time rush. Now I can hop on my bike if I want and go and lolly gag to the store and get what I need. Its a wonderful life!!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
The heat does bring on panic attacks, your body is working overtime to cool you off and it can make things go crazy. I esp have problems becasuse I have what is called Dysautonomia and neruocardiogenic syncope so my body cannot regulate my B/P heart rate, sweat, and breathing at the same time. Therefore when I get hot my blood pools in my legs, I get tachycardia, I hyperventilate and pass out. I also do not sweat, at all so when i get hot I become overheated within 5 mins and because my body cannot cool off it is very dangerous. I dealt with that for 23 years and living in South Fl where the average temp. in December is 80 degrees. That was hard! I've noticed with the cold weather up here I'm able to go for walks, and not feel sick a lot and my panic attacks have literally diminished. The pace is MUCH slower than where I came from and its rubbed off on me. I can take it easy, things don't feel as "important" or like urgent I guess. Before I had to rush to go the grocery store to beat traffic, or lunch rush or Tee time rush. Now I can hop on my bike if I want and go and lolly gag to the store and get what I need. Its a wonderful life!!
Wow Tara, I have never heard of what you have before. I am so sorry you have to deal with that. It sounds like NH was just what you needed. I could only imgaine how hard the heat down in Florida was for you. The heat is almost unbearable for me, and I only deal with anxiety/panic, I couldnt even imagine having what you have on top of that. I am so glad for you, that you are able to get out now and bike ride and do all the fun stuff you can, that is great!!! Maybe one day, we can bike ride together.
Oh, how do I know where West Keene is, as far as real estate? Since you mentioned it awhile back, I wanted to check out some homes online. But all I can get is just Keene, not West.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Wow Tara, I have never heard of what you have before. I am so sorry you have to deal with that. It sounds like NH was just what you needed. I could only imgaine how hard the heat down in Florida was for you. The heat is almost unbearable for me, and I only deal with anxiety/panic, I couldnt even imagine having what you have on top of that. I am so glad for you, that you are able to get out now and bike ride and do all the fun stuff you can, that is great!!! Maybe one day, we can bike ride together.
Oh, how do I know where West Keene is, as far as real estate? Since you mentioned it awhile back, I wanted to check out some homes online. But all I can get is just Keene, not West.
Here's how to see the streets in West Keene..
Click here <--- should be a link to a map of Keene from Mapquest

When it pulls up you'll see the map and you should see WEST STREET. Its highlighted a beighish yellow and its coming off of main street and connecting to highway (10)(12).Its pretty much smack dab in the middle of the screen..... Anything to the left (west) of highway (10)(12) is considered West Keene. Just simply hit the + sign and zoom into the map and the street names will come into view.I zoomed in 2 times and moved the screen over a little and all the streets came up. And that is west keene.

Its funny because on the map it looks sooooooo long from Main Square/Downtown but I live off of Washington street, which you can see is the street that branches off to the right of mainstreet at the roundabout.. , and I can be to the middle of west keene in under 10 mins. So don't get discouraged by the map its not long at all, its a very comfortable distance.
You're gonna love it , as of right now its 63 degrees, all my windows are open its grey (thank god I could barf sunshine for the next 20 years I loooveee the grey days) and there is slight drizzle. A perfect New Engand day. Next tues our high is only 63!! Woa so it's probably gonna be chilly when you come. One thing I've noticed is that whatever the weather man says its gonna be its always like 5 degree's cooler at least. They'll say its gonna be a low of 43 and it'll get into the 30's so keep that in mind...

Oh and New England has helped my condition greatly, seriously the weather makes all the difference. The cold is refreshing and makes you feel alive... Heat and sun make me feel depressed , hot and sluggish!! yuck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire