Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,049 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the middle of getting my job outsourced to another country within the next two months and decided I'm going to move to Portsmouth. I love everything I've heard and seen about this town and figured now would be the time. The town and state in general fit me exactly.

I was wondering what the job market is like down there in general? My plan was to go down there with the money I have (which is about 3-4 months living expenses) and just hash it out until I find something. Probably not the best of ideas but I feel I need a change of scenery and I've always wanted to live there.

I can't wait. I'm extremely excited/happy and nervous at the same time lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
The Portsmouth area has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country right now. But as with any small city, job availability really depends on what you have experience with. Try scouting for jobs on indeed.com or craigslist to get a feel for the market.

Portsmouth is one of my favorite places in the country and I can very much see myself settling down there. Now's not the time for me, but I envy you!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
Sometimes circumstances allow us the chance to make decisions that seemed like impossible dreams just a short time before. I'd be happy, nervous & excited to have made this decision also I hadn't realized what Verseau shared, about the unemployment rate in the area. New Hampshire in general seems to be weathering the current downturn in jobs, real estate and overall quality of life far better than many other areas, and I suppose that is in part because when things were booming in tech field and real estate also, we didn't rise as fast and furiously as many other states... So we weren't affected as much either way... a blessing and a curse, I suppose Anyway, kudo's to you in this endeavor. If you share with us what field you're in, perhaps we can point you in a direction that would be more helpful...

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM

193 posts, read 534,329 times
I make similar decisions and never regret them. Life is an adventure. Good luck to you!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,049 times
Thanks everyone!

I currently work in the health insurance/medical billing industry.

I'm applying for positions with Wentworth Douglas and Portsmouth Hospital. I'm really going to take anything I get that helps pay the bills and work my way from there.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 AM

95 posts, read 290,163 times
As previously mentioned Indeed is great for searching for jobs..I'd stay away from craigslist as there many phony ads placed. There is a great deal of hiring going on in the seacoast area. Your skills could be transferable to work at Liberty Mutual in Portsmouth or Dover, Maine Medical Center. Also wanted to mention the "Hidden Job Market" getting jobs through contacts. Think about joining LinkedIn (no cost) online. This gives you access to joing local business groups which from there you could post your job..also IMHO it's a good idea to put in a professional picture...best of luck

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM

125 posts, read 414,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msitwin View Post
Thanks everyone!

I currently work in the health insurance/medical billing industry.

I'm applying for positions with Wentworth Douglas and Portsmouth Hospital. I'm really going to take anything I get that helps pay the bills and work my way from there.
There always seem to be ads for people in the medical and insurance business. We live in Portsmouth and find it a marvelous place. Close to beaches, about 60 miles to the White Mountains, and tons of things to do in all seasons.

Welcome to the Seacoast.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM

155 posts, read 305,159 times
I suggest jobster.com for job searching. They collect from several listing sites, including Indeed, Dice, and so forth. Put in your keywords, your city or zip code, narrow your selection to within a certain mile radius and within a certain number of days posted and start going through the list. After your first day of checking you should be able to check it daily when narrowed down to a 1-day list and get through it quickly -- except when you must spend time applying for a good one. Wish you great hunting.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Portsmouth is a good choice.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 AM

125 posts, read 414,411 times
While Portsmouth would be an excellent choice, there are many smallish towns within 10-20 miles of Portsmouth that offer lower real estate prices, both purchase and rentals.

It's easy to get to and from Portsmouth from most anywhere on the seacoast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire