Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,961,391 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me just how cool it is in Oct? I have read the weather chart things, but sometimes they are that accurate. I mean should we pack all sweaters and heavy coats? Do we need mittens and hats? Or is the temp more on the mild side as opposed to being cold? I know it can rain, which I will love, so I will bring the umbrellas. I just want to make sure I dont over pack too much of the heavy stuff if I am not going to really need it. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 04:34 AM

67 posts, read 499,398 times
?Where are You going/part of?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
?Where are You going/part of?
The Keene area, So Vermont, Salem, MA, and Boston.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,334,873 times
October is a funny month. It can be as high as 70. When we weere married they said it could go be anything from 70 and sunny to 40 and rainy in October. We lucked out- our wedding day as 70 and beautiful, the next day it rained and was like high 40's.

Forgive me for not remembering, aren't you from Calif or the west coast? Sorry my memory is not the best. What is cold for you? If it is 50 and sunny I don't need much- I could wear shorts and a shirt but I am used to it-but your bodies might need a lot if you are not used to it. I would pack clothes that can be layered. Maybe not superheavey jackets-but medium ones. Do you have hats and mittens? If so, they usually don't take up much room so throw them in if you are going to be outside for long periods of time. If you don't have them, maybe wait and see, you could always get a cheap pair here at Target.

Are you going to do things where you wil be outside for hours upons hours? Do you plan on going to Mt Washington? If you plan on doing something like the cog railway the temp can drop 30 some dgerees between the bottom and the top of the mountain.

Yes what other things are planned? Long hikes?

Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
October is a funny month. It can be as high as 70. When we weere married they said it could go be anything from 70 and sunny to 40 and rainy in October. We lucked out- our wedding day as 70 and beautiful, the next day it rained and was like high 40's.

Forgive me for not remembering, aren't you from Calif or the west coast? Sorry my memory is not the best. What is cold for you? If it is 50 and sunny I don't need much- I could wear shorts and a shirt but I am used to it-but your bodies might need a lot if you are not used to it. I would pack clothes that can be layered. Maybe not superheavey jackets-but medium ones. Do you have hats and mittens? If so, they usually don't take up much room so throw them in if you are going to be outside for long periods of time. If you don't have them, maybe wait and see, you could always get a cheap pair here at Target.

Are you going to do things where you wil be outside for hours upons hours? Do you plan on going to Mt Washington? If you plan on doing something like the cog railway the temp can drop 30 some dgerees between the bottom and the top of the mountain.

Yes what other things are planned? Long hikes?
Hi there nicolem, yes I am from HOT,HOT So Cali. Lol. Hmm, what is cold to me? It has gotten into the 30's here, and for me, I love it. I am getting major hot flashes at this time of my life, lmao, so I really love the cold. My hubby on the other hand gets cold when it is in the lower 60s'. Haha. He is the one I worry about. My daughter loves cold like I do, and will pile on as much stuff as she needs to. Yes we have hats and mittens, why, I dont know..hahaha, but we have them. It can get cold here on some nights in Dec or Jan.

We are planning to go for walks and we would love to go bike riding on some of the trails there. Yes we want to go to Mt. Washington, the Cog Railway sounds like fun. We are also going to be looking at homes, as we want to move as soon as we can. We will be checking out the town also, to see all it has to offer. If it is half of what I think it will be, it is going to be love at first site

Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,104,319 times
I remember as a kid going trick or treating while there were flurries of snow coming down living in Northern N.H. It's not uncommon for snow to be on Mt. Washington in October so if you plan a trip up there, it will be significantly colder but that's any time of the year not just the fall.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,494,356 times
Wel since we're both used to the heat I'd say pack at least 1 mildly heavy coat, just incase your outside at night for a while you might start to shiver. I was cold in October, but mostly sweater cold but there were a few odd nights where it was iffy I coulda had a heavier coat to keep me a bit warmer. Mittens eh probably not, if your the type of person where your hands get cold easily and hurt then maybe just a cheap pair of fleece gloves or something will help. Just make sure to check the weather channel before you go, this is new england, the weather temps change daily. The other week it was 68 one night and the next night I woke up it wa 38, so it can change in a flash. I doubt snow this far south in October. But I'll keep your fingers crossed for that one just cause The farmers almanac is predicting a cold one this year in the NE with lots of snow.. So maybe it'll come early just for your vaca.. If you hit Norther north north tippy top maine , you can probably bet there is snow on the ground. My husband grew up there and said he can't remember a year when he didn't trick or treat without snow on the ground, at least a food.. But then again he lived about 15 mins from Canada lol so thats a whole new world!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,035,297 times
Weather can be fickle in New England during the autumn.
October is actually the clearest month here in the 6 state region.

Weather will be mildest along the Southern New England coast of Connecticut , Rhode Island and south eastern Mass.

At mid month the daily high in Hartford in October is 62, nighttime low of 39.
It can be warmer or cooler. Date of first frost is around mid October,

Southern New Hampshire will be about 5 degrees cooler. First frosts late September on average.

Pack sweaters, light parka's with zip out lining, light jackets, sweat shirts,

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I think I will bring a heavy jacket and some sweaters for everyone. We are going to a bonfire thingy at night on a farm, so I am thinking it will be pretty cool at night. My hubby for sure will need a heavier jacket. Like I keep saying I cant wait to actually get there and kick some leaves ;~} And truly enjoy the season.
Tara, I want to thank you for all your posts, you have been so sweet. The pictures were beautiful.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:31 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,494,356 times
np, click here and you will see the averages for the month of October, as the time gets closer it will show the actual highs and lows for the days you will be here. The zip code for Keene is 03431 so you can just type that into the search and it will show you the weather if you ever loose the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire