Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM

32 posts, read 95,396 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving the brood (we have 3 little ones 8 and under) up to the seacoast area within the next couple years. I was wondering what you locals do for a fun day trip - with or without the kids?

Is Boston do-able in a day? what about Portland? lakes region? Mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 PM

205 posts, read 946,852 times
The opportunities for a good time for kids and adults is endless no matter if you live here or are just visiting. Check out this link. Visit New England - New Hampshire - NH Travel, Tourism, Vacations, Lodgings, Attractions, Events, Hotels, Inns, B&Bs, Resorts

Boston is an hour a way and you can drive, take the bus or take the kids for a ride on the train. Portland and the lakes region are also about an hour's drive. When you are in such close proximity to a major city, the ocean, lakes and mountains, the possibilities are endless. You basically could plan something new each weekend though out the year! It's all good!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM

39 posts, read 128,087 times
The kids may enjoy Santa's Village, Storyland and Clark's Trained bears.
Not on the seacoast but not that farr away.

Clark's Trained Bears - family entertainment at Clark's Trading Post
Story Land
Santas Village Fun for Kids of all Ages

Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
And when they get a little older, there's Canobie Lake Park in Salem, and Whalum Park (in wherever?) - both amusement parks.

And for much older folks who like hiking in the woods and are interested in ancient history, there's Mystery Hill - also in Salem. I suppose it's currently called 'America's Stonehenge' but I think that's a silly name and prefer the older version.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
And, if you are that close, you'll want to go to Ogunquit, Maine. No, you HAVE to go to Ogunquit. It's especially beautiful after all the tourists are gone. Oops. I guess you'll be tourists. Well, never mind. I won't tell anyone.

Ogunquit is my favorite ocean town, and definitely my favorite beach! I don't know when the trolley stops running, but that's a fun and inexpensive ride through town for both kids and adults.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Default sssshhhhh

SSSsshhhhh about Ogunquit. Well ok, since the cat is out of the bag, we'll tell you. It's a great seaside resort town. Not cheap. Please please please, pick up after yourself on the beach. It's a beautiful family-friendly place (or not..., which is to say you don't have to have kids to enjoy the day). My fave is to bring along the floaties or tubes and float up and down the river... It's turned into the only beach that we go to these past 5 years or so... go early or you won't be parking anywhere nearby...

WhoFish.org - Local Events and Activities is a great resource for things to do, ie: festivals, etc.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 AM

32 posts, read 95,396 times
We actually went to Ogunquit on our last trip up to NE. We really enjoyed it -especially the Marginal Way. But that was in the middle of October, so needless to say we didn't get to go in the water.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
Things I have done in a day out here.....

Boston....freedom trail, Sam Adams, pub crawls (not kid friendly), Copley square, common, etc. etc. etc.

Sox game on the 4th....people who are baseball fans and didn't grow up near Fenway have no idea how awesome that experience is...

Mt. Washington-both the auto road (w/ parents) and hiking it.

Kancamagus byway

Weekly kayak trips up the coast...mostly fishing but just kayaking is great. So much water to explore with Hampton Harbor, the coastline, Little harbor in New Castle, Pisct. River.

Portsmouth

Newburyport

Portland

Ogunquit

Kittery shopping.....have to keep her happy

Hampton Seafood festival

White water rafting the Kennebec in Jackman Me (ok, weekend trip)

Looooooots of fishing. Stripers and blues are a "slight" change from the freshwater fish I'm used to.

Mountain biking all over

Waaay too many days at the beach.

....and I play a lot of tennis so put that in my schedule at least 2-3 days per week.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Default great info!

Your detailed response earns you a rep. point fishnfool Sometimes there is so much do in this area that we who have been here forever can't think of what to tell people about! Thanks for putting together such a great list -you are busy folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire