Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM

885 posts, read 2,662,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I just did a quick quote at PODS - Reinventing Moving and Storage > HOME for LA to Portsmouth and got:

Quantity: 1 - 16 ft Container(s)
Taxes $428.12
Total: $5,617.52
I looked hard at pods but decided against.
1 full-size moving truck is 55ft. thats at least 3 pods, which comes out to around $10K L.A to Portsmouth. For my money, the moving company will pack all breakables, wrap and pad all furniture, load it on the truck and unload it at my destination - all with $100K insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,145 times
There is nothing I could possibly add to this awesome thread, (very helpful!) that hasn't been covered beautifully.

I move differently each time I do. I will have had three cross country moves in my lifetime so far. NH to Texas/Texas to Michigan/ upcoming Illinois to NH.....

I used Uhaul each time with one dog, two kitties. (this time we will have a 9x12 trailer) They love to travel, one kitty hates it, so we will use a pill prescribed by our vet this time to calm her, not knock her out. She throws up in the first few hours of car travel, but once she gets it out of her system, she's fine, and eats well and sleeps that night when we stop, camp or hotel for the night.

We used a pet friendly motel on the way up here, and now going to NH we're camping. I've never camped with kitties, so this will be quite interesting.

Since we move differently each time we do, it depends for you what makes you comfortable.

My older brother worked for a private moving company while my parents moved from NE to Texas twice in their lives for a contract job my dad had. They paid him and his crew cash for the move one time, and for the smaller moves, mum paid in cookies. That's all they asked her for, and if you ever have the pleasure of mum's cookies, they'd be worth hauling furniture for too. LOL.

The best advice he would give is this: "Watch how they pack the truck. A good mover will be keen and observant, quite particular to pack it a certain way. Each box and piece of furniture will be placed according to size and weight, even movement in their trucks. A good mover will even remember to tie down rocking chairs and check each box for any give around the seams." He was particular, perhaps borderline obsessed, but he loved his job and company he worked for and learned a lot over the years about moving and trucks.

PODS have always looked like an excellent option, I've seen the commercials on them, truly a cool idea. And thanks for posting your experience with them, always great to know what that adventure was truly like.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,573,757 times
I did a study of all the van lines--having gotten a good scr*wing from Wahl/Mayflower on my Houston to Chicago move a few years ago--and, of all the big movers, United came in first. Not that were perfect...they just did a little better than the others.
My next move is with United if I have alot to move.
Try epinions.com moving companies search. You will find alot of things there.

(Oh! And I even had a very expensive fan stolen by the Wahl/Mayflower of Houston movers when they were packing me up, so watch them pack the truck. My mistake to trust them! And, yes, I registered a complaint with the BBB about their missing the delivery date, theft, promising me one thing but not delivering, etc., heard from Wahl/Mayflower of Houston about who was my salesperson etc., and never heard from them again! Guess they had no rebuttal at all!)

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 AM

97 posts, read 396,114 times
Default used the PODS

Pods worked great from Fl to NH. You get a very clean pod to walk in and out of. You put your things as you want, they deliver when and where you want. No hassles, loved it.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,668,172 times
Moving insurance is good if they loose the whole load. Worthless if they break or damage things here and there. Say you have a table you paid $2000 for and they damage it, you will be lucky to get $50 for it. Its kinda like tying to make a claim for a item damaged by fedex or ups. Pretty much impossible and they like it that way.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,687 times
Default Check out ABF

My friend is a realtor and told me about ABF

ABFS.COM

They were much cheaper than POD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire