Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM

6 posts, read 12,754 times

Advertisements

I'm a single without children in my mid 30s. I've some mental health issues, have received mental health medication before... but still can work and want to work. I'm unemployed and about to become a homeless if a miracle doesn't happen. I don't have support from family or friends.

Unfortunately, being a non-disabled adult without children is almost an automatic disqualification for receiving emergency assistance in most cities and states, regardless of how financially needy a single person can be. However, single workers are taxed heavier compared to workers with children.

Being a homeless is hard anywhere… but many states and cities are more compassionate than others. I want to know if this is the case of New Hampshire.

How is the quality of social services for homeless individuals without children in New Hampshire ... particularly in Concord, Manchester and Nashua? Is there a waiting list for shelters? Where to go on Sundays or holidays when public library is closed and there is no public transportation? Where to look for a job? Is police harrassing?

I’m just trying to take a well informed decision, so I can go to the right place where I can receive good service and can overcome my situation ASAP.

Please, pray for me! Thank you all for your time and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:01 PM

369 posts, read 964,523 times
Not to be harsh but you should consider Massachusetts.
Only because they have an extensive system of assistance programs.

Not flaming you, just pointing you in the right direction.
Decades ago I was homeless for awhile so I know what it means for you.

Best wishes and good luck.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM

477 posts, read 899,910 times
Mass is defiantly going to be more receptive.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
...you should consider Massachusetts.
Only because they have an extensive system of assistance programs.
What parts of Massachusetts are best for a single adult homeless without children? How about receiving services in Mass without being a state resident initially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
Decades ago I was homeless for awhile so I know what it means for you. Best wishes and good luck.
Thank you for replying. I appreciate your empathy

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
Mass is defiantly going to be more receptive.
What part of Mass are best?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Where do you live now, that you are considering New Hampshire? Other posters are correct--there are very few programs here to help those who need it most (instead we are becoming a sanctuary for foreign refugees, while our own people who have mental health issues and need help are left to their own resources. I agree that Massachusetts will have the programs that will be most helpful for you. Being close to or in one of the larger cities would probably be best, as they will have the resources to help you. Here is a list of mental health centers, hopefully it will give you a start:
Office Locations by City and Town - Health and Human Services - Mass.Gov (http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/consumer/physical-health-treatment/health-care-facilities/regional-health-offices/office-locations-by-city-and-town.html - broken link)
I wish you all the best in finding the help you are seeking.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Read up here.

There is a whole forum about homeless living.

LINK

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Cambridge Mass, they will probably give you free in-state tuition too.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Cambridge Mass, they will probably give you free in-state tuition too.
Last time I checked the OP was looking for sincere help, not political wisecracks. I'd actually suggest against Cambridge- it has a lot of homeless and this individual who is clearly trying to get a job/deal with their problems (not pass them off) may get lost in the cloud of other folks.

To the OP: Sent you some links in a direct message with some resources.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Last time I checked the OP was looking for sincere help, not political wisecracks. I'd actually suggest against Cambridge- it has a lot of homeless and this individual who is clearly trying to get a job/deal with their problems (not pass them off) may get lost in the cloud of other folks.

To the OP: Sent you some links in a direct message with some resources.
In all honesty, I wasn't trying to wisecrack, i was being serious and giving a recommendation to the OP. But i can see how my post came off that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire