Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,059 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Manchester NH from York PA. Is there anything I should have in mind or be aware about NH?

What do you like about NH, conversely what dont you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM

62 posts, read 142,359 times
I've spend a fair amount on time in York (and surrounding areas) because of work, so this would be my comparison... Manchester is a larger city than York (actually more than twice its size), but it still has a very small city feel.... and just like York, you can live right outside of the city itself yet be very close to it.

I can honestly say that there's nothing that I would change about living in NH... We've lived outside of Philly (on NJ side), outside of NYC (again on NJ side), in Europe and finally settled in NH... at this point, I wouldn't move anywhere else....

Cost of living in Manchester area is slightly higher than York (housing and property taxes), but also NH doesn't have income tax nor sales tax, so net, there's probably not that much of a different...

If you hate snow, obviously NH (or New England) is not for you. One big difference you will find with the snow in PA vs. NH is that the snow here is much drier (less slushy days and more actual snow days), so even though it's more of it, I've found it a whole lot easier to shovel. Also, New Englanders in general do know how to drive in snow so you're not going to see the traffic slowing down that significantly...

I assume you already have a job lined up (otherwise, that must be the first step... just like most of US, not too many jobs available).

Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
i moved to nh from pa back in 2008. it was rough for a while starting out, but i landed on my feet. i like it much better than pa, except the people are kind of ********** sometimes, but im getting used to it and have kind of blended in really well.

also some things to know:

-you don't have to wear a seatbelt(i always do anyway)
-fireworks are legal
-booze is cheaper
-it is not mandatory to have car insurance for most people(i think you need it if you buy a new car though)
-it gets very noisy in manchester with fireworks, motorcycles, and drunken idiots(people here drink alot)
-manchester is a great place to go out though. if you live close enough to downtown(elm street), you can still have a good time and not worry about driving
-if you have an apartment, property taxes will have minimal effect on you
-be careful, there are quite a few homeless people and panhandlers
-some winters are worse than others. snow was practically non-existent this winter, except in october when we received 2 feet of snow
-people are passionate about two things here, the red sox, and dunkin donuts. you will see a dunkin donuts on almost every corner and every other person wearing some sort of red sox apparel. and yes, i also own some sox apparel.
-people in nh are generally more intelligent than people in pa. they are also more likely to be wiseasses, so don't take the sarcasm seriously, that is how we make friends

i think that about covers it

Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 AM

23 posts, read 63,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i moved to nh from pa back in 2008. it was rough for a while starting out, but i landed on my feet. i like it much better than pa, except the people are kind of ********** sometimes, but im getting used to it and have kind of blended in really well.

also some things to know:

-you don't have to wear a seatbelt(i always do anyway)
-fireworks are legal
-booze is cheaper
-it is not mandatory to have car insurance for most people(i think you need it if you buy a new car though)
-it gets very noisy in manchester with fireworks, motorcycles, and drunken idiots(people here drink alot)
-manchester is a great place to go out though. if you live close enough to downtown(elm street), you can still have a good time and not worry about driving
-if you have an apartment, property taxes will have minimal effect on you
-be careful, there are quite a few homeless people and panhandlers
-some winters are worse than others. snow was practically non-existent this winter, except in october when we received 2 feet of snow
-people are passionate about two things here, the red sox, and dunkin donuts. you will see a dunkin donuts on almost every corner and every other person wearing some sort of red sox apparel. and yes, i also own some sox apparel.
-people in nh are generally more intelligent than people in pa. they are also more likely to be wiseasses, so don't take the sarcasm seriously, that is how we make friends

i think that about covers it
I'd be wary of this line -- those property taxes will be pushed onto the renters, so rent will be higher on average than areas outside of New Hampshire.

I do like your comment about DD's -- I cant wait to get back to seeing DD's everywhere instead of Krispy Kremes!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs1001 View Post
I'd be wary of this line -- those property taxes will be pushed onto the renters, so rent will be higher on average than areas outside of New Hampshire.

I do like your comment about DD's -- I cant wait to get back to seeing DD's everywhere instead of Krispy Kremes!

Yes DD's is based in Mass , so for a dunky junkie , new england is paradise.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldling View Post

conversely what dont you like?

Too mmany Mass democrats who have turned that state into a place they can no longer afford to live in move up here with the intent of turning this place into " northern massachusetts"

Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Too mmany Mass democrats who have turned that state into a place they can no longer afford to live in move up here with the intent of turning this place into " northern massachusetts"
The best areas of the state are those with people that demand somewhat less amenities. NH offers good rural living compared to most states.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
NH has wonderful places for living out of town but be ready to bring your own income. Very few farns make any money and jobs are nonexistant.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I absolutely am in love with NH in the summer.. Beaches, mountains, seafood.
Im not a winter person personally somfor me i need lots of lights on at home in winter. I plan my vacations in winter anyway.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thevfirst word i learned from a local was Mass hole. It fits, at least when they come up and dont stop at crosswalks and drive fast on spaulding tpke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire