Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times

Advertisements

Well sometimes he gets artsy fartsy!

After a very delicious and heartily portioned breakfast at Sawyers in Goffstown ( it was every bit as good as it looks )

He and his lovely wife head off to Saint Gaudens in Cornish NH

Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site - Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site

From the site..

Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907), created over 150 works of art, from exquisitely carved cameos to heroic-size public monuments. Works such as the "Standing Lincoln" monument and the Shaw Memorial, continue to inspire people today and his design for the 1907 Twenty Dollar Gold Piece, is considered America's most beautiful coin.

more on the man

Augustus Saint-Gaudens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And he did much of this in a art community he established in Cornish NH a simple picturesque town that borders the Connecticut river, just a stones throw or so from Vermont.

The pics

I immediately fell in love with the Aspet ( which started life as a Inn, and which Agustus first thought of as rather dreary )

Not only was the design simply beautiful but it had a fantastic view of Vermonts mount Ascutney from it's porches

Strange little dude on the front porch

Sitting there on the side porch I could just imagine reading scripture on a summer day such as this. In fact several scenarios danced playfully through my mind, I could see a gathering on the greens of friends and bikes from many forums

A quick look at the stable hands quarters

Unlike the New Hampshire Farm Museum, which glories in a authentic rustic look.. care is given here to maintain a semi restored look, as in the case of this sleigh

Right next to the Aspet is what is called the little studio, this is Lindas view

It is a large building but with few rooms, here are some of the works that reside there..

The Temple sits at the far end one of the greens paths, and is right next to the ravine trail.. Augustus used to like taking walks along this path, and spending some time in his swimming hole

It was constructed mainly to be the central prop in a play to celebrate his 20th anniversary at the colony, his wifes ashes are buried there

If Augustus were alive today he would have been disappointed at the lack of water coming out of his constructed dam and waterfall, or the depth of his swimming hole and both they are the Blow Me Down brook that fed them were extremely dry due to our recent lack of a real rain fall

We passed the Ravine studio but it was locked, along with it's secrets so we moved on to the next studio

Beautiful

The Puritan

Bust of Lincoln

two of the grounds

We took a short ride after our visit and among the things we found were this piano at the Lyme General Store.. it's part of a culture thing, there are pianos like this around the upper Connecticut valley which folks are encouraged to play.. I wish people luck as this pretty little piano did not function well..still I liked it

Lyme Church

Wentworth NH, church , closed bride and swimming hole

It was a hot day, but a nice one...another good day to live in NH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Thanks for posting these trip reports Dave. I've lived in S.NH for around 36 years and I've only recognized sites from one of your last posts- Rindge. I get a little education and eye candy with every report. Also, kudos for mastering the point-and-shoot (I'm assuming that's what you're using). Many people think only a fancy DSLR can take great photos.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Thanks for posting these trip reports Dave. I've lived in S.NH for around 36 years and I've only recognized sites from one of your last posts- Rindge. I get a little education and eye candy with every report. Also, kudos for mastering the point-and-shoot (I'm assuming that's what you're using). Many people think only a fancy DSLR can take great photos.

Yeah that point and shoot thing.. mine has developed a little black spot I cannot seem to remove.. when I can afford it I am stepping up to the Go Pro which I see as the best of both worlds.. for me anyway.

As far as mastering anything, I freely admit to taking a LOT of pictures, of which most get a minor touch up in a digital darkroom.. the only airbrushing I do is to mask that stupid dot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire