Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a small cabin/cottage in NH for a vacation home. Mountains, lakes, ect... I want a town with shops, restaurants, stores, ect... that are close by.

Any suggestion on where I should start?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spanky25; 05-14-2012 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Start with one you can get to easily! Easy access means you will use it more frequently. My uncle had a place in Ossippee on a lake that was a short drive from MA and he went every other weekend in the summer. If you need an airport to visit, then make that your start point when looking. Traffic on busy weekends (both summer and winter) can be rough if you have a long ride to/from your place.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest buying both a NH road map and a DeLorme Atlas or equivalent. Then look for lakes or large ponds and do a Google search for realtors in those areas. Street view would also be useful.

Lake Winnipesaukee is very crowded in the summer but nearby Newfound Lake is much less. If you really want to get away try the Black Lake Lodge near the Canadian border. That is a very long drive so I really suggest you look further south. Start looking soon as the more popular places get booked early. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM

26,417 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Stay close to main routes unless you desire lots of extra driving. I would concentrate on two corridors: the highway 16 corridor in Carroll County and interstate 93 corridor in Grafton County.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
You don't state your price for such a home.
You don't state how much time you are willing to travel and from where.

There are many rivers with camps/cottages on them all through New Hampshire. Many off the beaten path but on paved or unpaved roads.

I have seen such in towns such as Groton, Hebron, Dorchester, Wentworth. But they are everywhere where there are mountains. As far as being close to all the city amenities - that is quite different.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
You may want to consider taking a vacation from "city amenites" and cell phones at the same time.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You don't state your price for such a home.
You don't state how much time you are willing to travel and from where.

There are many rivers with camps/cottages on them all through New Hampshire. Many off the beaten path but on paved or unpaved roads.

I have seen such in towns such as Groton, Hebron, Dorchester, Wentworth. But they are everywhere where there are mountains. As far as being close to all the city amenities - that is quite different.
Im from L.I. NY
Im willing to travel 6-7 hours. Price range $150-200K
Again, nothing big. Small 2 bed rm camp/cottage/cabin. Even a condo with nice views would do.

I always go up to Maine. However, I would like to explore NH. I only been there once, 2 years ago. It was on/near the Maine boarder, mid/northern part. It was just alittle too remote for me. However, amazing views!!! If there was just a little more shops/shopping, ect...that area would have been perfect.

Thanks for all the input! Keep in coming!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
You certainly can view real estate brochures and web sites.

A better way is to take a rolling vacation. And travel the state staying in a different part of state each night and drive during the day. Drive down the side roads. Roads along the rivers. Off the beaten paths.

The tough part will be finding an affordable camp/cabin in your required setting and finding same near the amenities you require.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You certainly can view real estate brochures and web sites.

A better way is to take a rolling vacation. And travel the state staying in a different part of state each night and drive during the day. Drive down the side roads. Roads along the rivers. Off the beaten paths.

The tough part will be finding an affordable camp/cabin in your required setting and finding same near the amenities you require.
There are plenty of sites to view with R.E. listing.
Just like in my area. However, there are a few towns I would NOT reccomend to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire