Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM

264 posts, read 616,773 times

Advertisements

Hello Again,

I need your recommendations on where to rent a vacation home for our stay in October. Those that know the state well. (not me)

Would you recommend the Lakes area or the White Mountain area? I plan on traveling all over the place so a nice central place to "base" from would be fine.

What are has the most to do?

Thanks all!

Captjob

P.S. Here's My Tribe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Try that again.
Attached Thumbnails
Vacation Home Rental-Lakes Region or White Mountains?-mytribe2.jpg  

Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Fortunately, NH is a small state so it doesn't take long to get from the lakes to the mountains.

I would say that the best central base would be Lincoln / Woodstock or Conway. Both spots are located within the White Mountains but a short distance from the lakes (roughly 30 minutes). These towns are fairly touristy, and can get busy during peak foliage, but the main advantage is that there's lots to do, including for the kids, especially in Lincoln. Mini-golf, Clark's Trading Post, caves on top of Loon Mtn., the Flume up in Franconia Notch, etc. Story Land in Glen (north of Conway) is another good idea for the kids.

The other best option, if you can't find anything in Lincoln or Conway, would probably be Meredith / Weirs Beach on Lake Winnepesaukee. There's plenty of stuff to do here (including FunSpot, a giant arcade with candlepin bowling, go-karts, and more). Plus you can go for strolls along the lake and so forth. And you're still only 45 minutes from Lincoln.

There are some other beautiful towns, like Sandwich and Tamworth, which are in a great central location between the lakes and the mountains and relatively off the beaten path (very peaceful), but there's not much to do there. Definitely worth a stop though.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
You could try to find a house to rent in one of the smaller towns central to both regions. Freedom, Madison, Eaton, Tamworth...there wouldn't be any nightlife, but if you're going to be doing your own cooking anyway, you might as well be in a charming town. You'd probably have access to town beaches as well.

North Conway does have a lot to do (for the area) - a children's museum, Cog Railway, mini-golf, and of course outlets and restaurants. All of those things are on a high-traffic, built-up strip though so it depends what you're looking for.

Wolfeboro is nice too. There's a boat museum there and shops and restaurants and although it is pretty touristy it's kept a lot of charm. Obviously, the main thing to do is rent boats or take a ferry. Meredith has a boardwalk and a railroad for kids.

In terms of seeing NH at its best, I think you can't go wrong with a classic small town. Another option would be to try something like this family resort:

Lakeside Family Resort New Hampshire (NH) Lakefront Resort near North Conway Cottages, Cabins Mt. Washington Valley Lodging Family Vacations in the White Mountains

I have passed it a million times. Beautiful spot right on a lake, close to both North Conway and Wolfeboro and I believe it includes all meals.

Have fun!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Anywhere north of Concord would be fine for an October stay in NH. I would expect a "leaf peeper season" rental to be pricey.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Captjob, you have an adorable looking family. I gave ya reps, for those beautiful kids.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Great information...thanks all. Thanks for the reps Suzet....BTW how does one get or receive reps????

Thanks
Captjob

Old 04-05-2008, 03:39 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Talking Hello CAPTJOB! GREAT PICTURE!! Thanks!

HELLO CAPTJOB!

WELCOME TO THE NH FORUM!!

Thank you for sharing with us the picture of your

TRIBE!! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!! You are truly BLESSED!!

And for those ADORABLE children, I also gave you REPS!! WOOHOO!

By the way, since you asked about the REPS, if you look at the UPPER RIGHT

CORNER of each message, there is a SCALE, you click on it, and a box pops

up, and you can write something in it, like your screen name, or a comment,

or you can make it anonymous. Be careful not to click on the RED SIGN next

to the scale, that is to report a BAD post to the Moderators (according to

the Terms of Service or TOS, like foul language, rudeness, etc.)

If you can, check out the OFF TOPIC CHAT ROOM at

the top of the page, as well as the PICTURE thread. Everyone here is very

nice & helpful, you will have fun here!!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
Try that again.

Last edited by countrylv22; 04-05-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!:0) SMILE!!!:0)

Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Thanks Coutrylv. This place is the greatest. Everyone here has been very nice and very helpful. I look forward to passing these traits on as I travel through your beautiful state and hopefully become a resident someday.

For now: however, we will have to settle for one or to trips back a year.
I'll take all I can get.

Thanks
Captjob

Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times
That's a tough one.

Foliage peak is Columbus Day weekend - especially traffic.

I might pick ?? Plymouth - not far from either and out of the mainstream but has great access to Rt 93.

You will want to go to North Conway (except Columbus day weekend ) via the "Kank" Highway ( Lincoln to Conway ) and then maybe a Mt Washington trip. Also love a drive around the whole Lake Winnepesaukee.

You may also love Meredith up near tip of the Big lake and also near Lake Squam ( Golden Pond ).

Also try Ossippee or Tamworth on the Rt 16 side just south of Conway.

Good access to both needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire