Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 37,109 times

Advertisements

MrRational...
i too wonder what happened with the original poster. Oddly enough i am in the same basic situation, and in Texas as well. i guess you guys are in my shoes and just am sick to death of it here.

my only basic difference as far as i can tell is that i do not have an RV, i was planning on using an airstream, building a basic shelter for it, then living out of that while i built my house in a somewhat modular post and beam manner, with the upper done in traditional log, much like a lot of the traditional Norwegian stuff.
thats the gist of it anyhow, but construction may vastly differ depending on what resources the actual land we end up with has to offer, post and beam just happens to be what i am most comfortable with, but i am not married to it.

that brings up another point, anybody done this sorta thing with current use, i wonder how much i can harvest and use (lumber) legally under that, if i am using it for building materials and not just firewood?

i wont have a contractor either, as it will be me building it.
i will have an architect/engineer sign off on my final plan though.e
i still have a ton a research to do as i am sure i am ignorant to a lot of this.

as a side note, from there we plan to get thing into a sustainable farm eventually, then branch out from there, but that stuff is probably for another thread....
we have been saving our pennies for this, had our minds on it for more than a while, and thought and talked it over to an exhausting point.
sorry, i have got enough flack from those thinking this is just some star eyed dream, so i gotta mention that in our own defense. however, sure, it started out that way....

i might should start my own thread...

great thread so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM

124 posts, read 312,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyshroyer View Post
MrRational...
i too wonder what happened with the original poster. Oddly enough i am in the same basic situation, and in Texas as well. i guess you guys are in my shoes and just am sick to death of it here.
I see that shipping container homes are popular in many places. Old ones are resold for virtually nothing you then remodel them as you choose. Easy to expand both horizontally and vertically.
Shipping Container Homes - How to Plan, Design and Build your own House out of Cargo Containers »
DIY Used Cargo Homes & Shipping Container House Plans | Designs & Ideas on Dornob
Shipping Container House/Home Plans and Container City Designs
Container House, Shipping Container Homes - Bob Vila

Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
All of New Hampshire is incorporated. There is not county land that is not part of a town or city. One town way up in northern New Hampshire - the selectmen/town voted to unincorporate. That is the only exception that I know of.

Some smaller towns - low in population may not have a dedicated building inspector. One or all of the selectmen do the building inspections and permiting.

Most or all of the towns have adopted the national BOCA codes.

There are separate rules for wells and septic systems. The state monitors those. Wetlands are also watched.

All towns want to know what you are doing so that they can tax you properly.

If buying land in remote areas or real small population towns you should look up and read the Carl Drega story. This fella bought a piece of land way up north and began to construct a Summer home or a get away home. Read up on what happened to him in that small NH town.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
All of New Hampshire is incorporated. There is not county land that is not part of a town or city. One town way up in northern New Hampshire - the selectmen/town voted to unincorporate. That is the only exception that I know of.

Some smaller towns - low in population may not have a dedicated building inspector. One or all of the selectmen do the building inspections and permiting.

There are separate rules for wells and septic systems. The state monitors those. Wetlands are also watched.

If buying land in remote areas or real small population towns you should look up and read the Carl Drega story. This fella bought a piece of land way up north and began to construct a Summer home or a get away home. Read up on what happened to him in that small NH town.

thanks,

i was not aware of carl drega. i read up on him in various sources.
this one is worth noting
Live Free or Die: How Many More Carl Dregas Lie Waiting?

pretty sad considering that NH was voted freest state in the union recently
"Live Free or Die": N.H. Ranked Freest State in Union (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/7916-qlive-free-or-dieq-nh-ranked-freest-state-in-union - broken link)

maybe they got better, or everywhere else just got way worse.

im not going to get up on my political soapbox here, so i will stop there.

i guess i just have to hope for a reasonable inspector, i do plan to build at least to code.

anybody have any idea where i can find info on what i can use from my land on a yearly basis for building materials for my own preperty, not for outside profit, on current use. mainly the harvesting of trees for building materials. i wonder how much that varies state wide. i remember reading something about a limit on yearly firewood, but thats not a building material. even if i did cordwood, i am not sure if that is sufficient enough of a loophole if i even need one.

am i going to be taxed if i take turf from my current use land and put it on my family home surrounded by my current use land. am i going to be taxed if i build with field stone, because i harvested it from current use land and put it on my home. i understand the forestry concerns, but those last two things seem pretty darn laughable. then again, when you look at all the fine print, i would not be surprised to find tax for those kinds of things someplace.

uhg... what about livestock, will i be taxed per head of sheep and so on....
for part of the season can i keep my pigs in the woods i am "not supposed to be messing with"

good grief it could go on forever....

i guess i can call an office up there and ask around until i get all the answeres on my list checked off
i am just ignorant of where to look to get all the ins and outs, then again i seriously doubt they will be all in one place.

thanks guys!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully Foyle View Post
hey thanks,
my mother in law was trying to sell me on those, and while they can be neat, and i really like the idea in many ways, i just cannot see living with those sort of aesthetics being good for me or my family over the long term.
i could see using them for a vacation house or something, but not a "home"

not for me anyway, i have lived enough places long enough to have some idea of how they make me feel long term and what i like.

i feel like spending time long term in one would be like spending over an hour in a shopping mall, and i can only take like 10 minutes in a mall.

ah, i digress...

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM

ah, i found this
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...t79EHTT3Cx1rYw

and this

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/f...253_Rep274.pdf

i i wonder if i can get away with using the wood as building materials for my home if i am converting the land i take if from into pasture for my sheep.

otherwise it seems that it is 10% tax of the stumpage value per mbf

here is a link for that
Average Stumpage Values | Property Appraisal Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration (http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/avgstumpval.htm - broken link)

it seems they think the general intent is to move the wood off the property, not use it to build on your property, then again, your property or not, you are taking it from current use and using it elsewhere.

here is another good link
http://www.nhspace.org/faq.shtml

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Quote:
Actually, New Hampshire has 25 unincorporated areas, though not many people live in them - most have 0 population. I found this out when I was looking at a town map, and saw "towns" that I had not heard of before that had interesting names, such as "Bean's Purchase" and "Hale's Location" - here is the town map I was looking at: http://www.nh.gov/oep/programs/GIS/documents/towns2436.pdf (broken link)

So I looked them up, and found this which gives a description and history of each: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/hsem/HazardMitigation/documents/hmp-appendix-e.pdf (broken link) Dixville is one of the most populated areas, with a population of 75. This document is the only place I have read the word "micropolitan" as in "micropolitan statistical area". It's an interesting read if you like learning about the history of an area.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM

124 posts, read 312,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyshroyer View Post
i wonder if i can get away with using the wood as building materials for my home if i am converting the land i take if from into pasture for my sheep
Cordwood Construction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwood_construction
Quote:
Cordwood construction (also called "cordwood masonry," "stackwall construction" or "stackwood construction") is a term used for a natural building method in which "cordwood" or short pieces of debarked tree are laid up crosswise with masonry or cob mixtures to build a wall.
You can also add bottles for interesting light effects in the wall.
There is also rammed earth. I thought it was only for the Southeast, but this article is about one built in Ontario.
Ontario’s First Rammed Earth House » BEC Green
Ontario’s First Rammed Earth House

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully Foyle View Post
Cordwood Construction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwood_construction

You can also add bottles for interesting light effects in the wall.
There is also rammed earth. I thought it was only for the Southeast, but this article is about one built in Ontario.
Ontario’s First Rammed Earth House » BEC Green
Ontario’s First Rammed Earth House
hey thanks,
i wondered earlier if it counted as firewood if i took my firewood and build with it lol, but i doubt that is enough of a loop hole
Quote:
i remember reading something about a limit on yearly firewood, but thats not a building material. even if i did cordwood, i am not sure if that is sufficient enough of a loophole if i even need one.
wow yea, i had not seen rammed earth done up that far north either, i wonder how well it does somewhere wet.

still, post and beam, and log is kinda my thing, and the norwegian "stav laft" (?) style has been around for nearly 1k years (if not more) with some structures still intact proving their durability. furthermore, given norway's climate it should deal with new hampshires climate as if it were actually its own vernacular building style as far as i can see. raw materials seem darn close too.

i just really dig those aesthetics too, here is an interior, though not exactly a modern layout, and this one log and not post and beam. still it gives a good idea of the flavor. i will stop there in fear of turning this thread from something practical, into a stylistic discussion.
Norsk Folkemuseum

Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"All of New Hampshire is incorporated"

Sorry,
Want to bet about unincorporated land in NH?

Atkinson and Gilmanton Academy Grant | Bean’s Grant | Bean’s Purchase | Cambridge | Chandler’s Purchase | Crawford’s Purchase | Cutt’s Grant | Dixville | Dix’s Grant | Erving’s Location | Green’s Grant | Hadley’s Purchase | Hale’s Location | Kilkenny | Livermore | Low and Burbank’s Grant | Martin’s Location | Millsfield | Odell | Pinkham’s Grant | Sargent’s Purchase | Second College Grant | Success | Thompson and Meserve’s Purchase | Wentworth’s Location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire