Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 AM

10 posts, read 13,292 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm interested in possibly moving to NH. I'm looking for a change of scenery and mindset. Not only does it look and sound like an awesome place in general to live, work, play & socialize but I'm also interested in the FSP. I'm curious if anyone from the Free State Project or that knows about it is hanging out in this forum? I just want to know if that Libertarian feeling is alive and well in NH? I get the idea that NH is where most of the Libertarian, entrepreneurial, freedom loving people are at these days. Is that the case? If it's reality I definitely want some of that in my life. I'm looking to make a quality of life choice here. To be honest I would much rather live happily in NH around the type of like minded people that I earlier described and in a beautiful place than I would anywhere else with all of the money and toys in the world. So would I like it like up there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitcount View Post
Hi, I'm interested in possibly moving to NH. I'm looking for a change of scenery and mindset. Not only does it look and sound like an awesome place in general to live, work, play & socialize but I'm also interested in the FSP. I'm curious if anyone from the Free State Project or that knows about it is hanging out in this forum? I just want to know if that Libertarian feeling is alive and well in NH? I get the idea that NH is where most of the Libertarian, entrepreneurial, freedom loving people are at these days. Is that the case? If it's reality I definitely want some of that in my life. I'm looking to make a quality of life choice here. To be honest I would much rather live happily in NH around the type of like minded people that I earlier described and in a beautiful place than I would anywhere else with all of the money and toys in the world. So would I like it like up there? Thanks.
NH is a beautiful place with a lot to offer. IMO it is a very seasonal place however and pretty pricey to live there.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,040,966 times
a general libertarian mindset tends to be prevalent whether the FSP is around or not! Can't say as I've heard much about them being influentially around (other than the general: yeah, there's some around).

NH is a great place, definitely a different world. come to visit in different seasons - esp around Feb! but don't move to NH unless you already have a job lined up.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 13,292 times
Good to know, thanks for the replies. I have a couple more questions. What are the in demand skills and career fields in NH and do they vary widely from city to city or from region to region within the state? I'm also curious does NH feel crowded or is it more rural? I've noticed from looking into some of the towns and cities, that they don't have overwhelmingly big population numbers. I find this to be a good thing by the way. I'd be coming from a metro area with about 3 million people so I'm hoping that it will seem less crowded in NH, even in a big city there like Manchester or Concord. For example the city of Concord would be about as big in population as the current suburban municipality of the metro area that I live in. Last one, what natural disasters are the biggest threat in NH? I'm assuming floods or blizzards but I'm just guessing.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,142,634 times
"what natural disasters are the biggest threat in NH? I'm assuming floods or blizzards but I'm just guessing."

ice storms can leave residents without power for weeks

flooding was bad a couple of years

we had an earthquake last night - it only registered as a 4.0 on the richter scale, but it was darn scary - the whole house shimmied for about 30 seconds, but I only got a cracked window - not bad

NH is almost totally rural. However, after visiting the midwest, we appear to be suburban....lol

Manchester is the largest city in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire