Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,755 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am currently a student at the University of Michigan and I am graduating this May. I just accepted a job offer in Bristol, NH. The only time I was every in Bristol was for an interview, and I noticed that it was extremely small, especially compared to the college town, Ann Arbor, that I have been living in for the past four years. I have begun looking into areas outside of Bristol to live in, particularly the Lakes Region ( mostly near Laconia). I understand that this region is a place to enjoy the great outdoors (and I am very excited for that!) and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for me to look into. I am a 21 year old female, and although I love the outdoors, I also love being able to enjoy nightlife. I am very new to the area, and I have very little time to explore it before working, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Also, do you have any suggestions for things for me to do outside of work? I love hiking, swimming, and skiing, so if there are any places I should check out, or maybe even clubs I can join to make new friends, please let me know! I am very excited to start my "new life" in New Hampshire!
Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Events in Bristol, NH - Scout.me

Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,182 times
Arrow Congratulations on your graduation and the new Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmck View Post
Hi! I am currently a student at the University of Michigan and I am graduating this May. I just accepted a job offer in Bristol, NH. The only time I was every in Bristol was for an interview, and I noticed that it was extremely small, especially compared to the college town, Ann Arbor, that I have been living in for the past four years. I have begun looking into areas outside of Bristol to live in, particularly the Lakes Region ( mostly near Laconia). I understand that this region is a place to enjoy the great outdoors (and I am very excited for that!) and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for me to look into. I am a 21 year old female, and although I love the outdoors, I also love being able to enjoy nightlife. I am very new to the area, and I have very little time to explore it before working, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Also, do you have any suggestions for things for me to do outside of work? I love hiking, swimming, and skiing, so if there are any places I should check out, or maybe even clubs I can join to make new friends, please let me know! I am very excited to start my "new life" in New Hampshire!
Thank you so much in advance!
We recently moved here from Madison, Wisconsin, to purchase and run a Bed & Breakfast, and are, like you, are used to the hustle and bustle of a big college town. Laconia, although larger than Bristol, it is still a small town compared to Ann Arbor. I think you will really love living and working in New Hampshire, and as far as night life, it is a little less prevalent than you are used to.

Last edited by vter; 03-22-2013 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: no advertising allowed

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
I grew up in Bristol. You'll be hard pressed to find anything resembling the "nightlife" of a large college town in this area, quite frankly. However, if you are looking for a college crowd, then Plymouth might be a good choice for you. It's still a rather small town, but there is more going on than in Bristol. Not that there's really any comparison between the University of Michigan and Plymouth State...

If you're less concerned about being with others in your age group, then Laconia does offer more options as it is the largest town in the area. Weirs Beach can be a fun place to go out. Meredith is another option as it is right next door and has a fair amount of activity of its own, especially during summer. Personally, I prefer Meredith to Laconia as it actually has a downtown with some vibrancy and personality. Laconia's downtown area is sorely lacking and most of the businesses are along sprawling roads in and out of town.

You might want to see if there are any meetup.com groups in the area that interest you. As for skiing, hiking, and swimming - take your pick! Newfound Lake (particularly Wellington State Park) is beautiful and clean and great for swimming. Ellacoya State Park on Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford is another good one. The major ski slopes in the area are Tenney Mountain, Ragged Mountain, and Gunstock, although there are even more options if you drive up into the White Mountains. That's also where the best hiking is, but there are plenty of great trails in the Lakes Region too (Mt. Morgan-Mt. Percival Loop, Mt. Major, Mt. Cardigan, etc.)

If you have any more specific questions about Bristol or the Lakes Region, feel free to ask me.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
excellent post verseau

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,755 times
Thank you so much for your responses! I will definitely look into Meredith!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire