Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM

278 posts, read 656,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
...Regardless of what anyone says Keene's roads sucked, I lived there I know, we needed new wheel barrings come May so there's extra to pass the inspection yearly. We had a full work up before we moved up cause we had to drive it the 2200 miles, there wasn't a thing wrong. You have car inspections because the weather kills your car. We have very few I'd say unacceptable cars on the roads down here, in fact most are luxury cars because there's no road issues, so that's not a valid argument for anything. Its just another way they get you up there....
Cars that are in top condition, rarely snap timing belts.

Quote:
The day after I moved there we broke down going up a hill, our timing belt snapped. We finally got a tow back into Keene. My husband was due at the Police academy that morning and called at the mechanics shop to let them know what happened. My husbands PD told him if he did not figure out how to get there in an hour (Concord an hour away) they'd drop him and he could find a new job... I was upset, crying and nervous, left at a mechanics station without a way to get home and no one to call to help me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 19,874 times
Quote:
Several times in July and aug we had to put our heat on up there. My first week there in early June we had ice gather on our window in the early morning in the mountains. Your summer lows are usually much lower than ours ,that don't normally get lower than 80/90's with very high humidity. If they're not used to it they're probably gonna need heat, even in the summer once in a while. You were correct that the 70's start to feel chilly after very prolonged summers here. People will easily wear a fleece sweater or heavier jacket at 72 degrees at night here in the winter.. Something I don't think people understand when they've not had to ever experience never having 4 seasons.
Amen...tomorrow is Memorial Day, and I have my heat on right now. It helps, because I would like to use up my oil before I get out this state once and for all. I wouldn't recommend NH to a dog...well; perhaps a pit bull...there are plenty of them around.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:59 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,547,737 times
It's may 26 My apt complex turned off the heat for the AC, it is barely 65 inside and 50 and windy outside.. I just put on my thermies because I plan on taking in a little of the Sky Show so I can hear Quiet Riot.. STAY IN FLORIDA!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,972,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNE View Post
Amen...tomorrow is Memorial Day, and I have my heat on right now. It helps, because I would like to use up my oil before I get out this state once and for all. I wouldn't recommend NH to a dog...well; perhaps a pit bull...there are plenty of them around.
Yes they're still in the 30's out in Keene at night and highs yesterday were 40's... But I exaggerate on the weather of course. Lows still at freezing 1 week from June. Mean while we're at pool temps and have been for two months.. I mean its a no brainer. It's currently 54 and cloudy and windy there, which means its a cold 54. So heat is still on. It's 86 here with a sea breeze and sunny in fla... No comparison on quality of life at all.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM

686 posts, read 1,770,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
As a person moving to NH from another state, I can tell you that Real Estate taxes and car registration taxes (the City/town's Municipal Fees for MOS/MILLS on your vehicle registration - AKA excise taxes) are tax deductible on Internal Revenue Service Schedules A & B on Form 1040. These line items are a deduction for personal property taxes.

For example, if you have an income of $50,000 per year and pay $5,000 in property tax (even the view tax) and $500 in MOS, your adjusted gross annual income is $44,500. If you are a renter, you don't realize that benefit. If you pay state income taxes and sales tax (as other states do), those are not deducted from the federal IRS taxes.
Good point, but do remember that these deductions are applicable only if the filer itemizes deductions (of many kinds including state/city taxes and mortgage interest) and the sum of itemized deductions must exceed the amount of standard deduction to be helpful.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM

276 posts, read 448,980 times
The angry, surly, backwater people of New Hampshire have been completely friendly and down to earth with my wife and I on our trip up here this weekend. People seem much more laid back and aren't constantly on their cell phones like in big cities. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 19,874 times
LOL...big tourism weekend, and the weather isn't helping. They just want your money and the state wants your 9% meals and lodging tax.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,045,212 times
BlueRidge, you gotta remember, most people are very friendly and down to earth. but there are a few sourpusses who like to grump. good thing they don't live here any more or are planning on leaving. It is much more friendly and relaxed here than MD/VA. but.. do keep in mind that while folks are friendly, that doesn't mean they are ready to be friends right off! they tend to want to wait a year or so to see if you're going to stay and how you make out. Not much point in bothering with people who come up north from away and don't even last a year and complain about it all the time. so there is a bit of (justified) wait and see.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM

276 posts, read 448,980 times
makes sense to me

Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,990,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
The angry, surly, backwater people of New Hampshire have been completely friendly and down to earth with my wife and I on our trip up here this weekend. People seem much more laid back and aren't constantly on their cell phones like in big cities. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
HUH???????? It's cold here the bugs are BIG and they BITE! No one will tawk to you! and besides it's COLD here and the bugs are BIG.

The reason no one is on cell phones is we ain't got no signal! To make up for that you will never see your lovin' brides face again if you move here. Over the fact there is no phone she will take up pikshah' takin' and all you will ever see of her again is her back, and on the event you ever see her front again, there will be a box where her face used to be..

Don't ask how I know....... but the boxes did get smaller and she doesn't run out of as much film anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire