Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times

Advertisements

Asking about the SEACOAST area only (like Dover, Durham, Exeter, Portsmouth, etc.):

1. Is it difficult to get cable tv or satellite in those areas?
2. Do these areas have State, city/township snow plows that shovel the roads and highways when it snows automatically? Asking cause the side roads innercity Chicago do not get shoveled until all the main roads are done, which could be a few days. This can be a problem for many women.
I am guessing your winter starts somewhere in November or December and is really bad thru March much like Chicago or am I wrong? I found (after a number of years in Chicago) myself staying indoors from November thru March in Illinois due to the cold.

DSL is available in larger towns and, I assume, that means most of the Seacoast area, but I still have some questions left.
Thanks all!

TootsieWootsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM

205 posts, read 946,514 times
It is not difficult at all to get cable/satellite in the seacoast area.

The snowplow crews both state and local do excellent jobs plowing/sanding the highways, main roads and secondary roads when there are storms. I live on a little side street in Exeter with just a few houses on it and my street is most always plowed in time to go to work in the am. Of course, if there is a massive storm with 18" or more, it could take a while but for the most part, you should not have difficulty getting out on the roads during a small/midsize storm.

It can snow as early as October and as late as May. For the most part winter on the seacoast is late November until April. We do seem to get hit hard in March and even April some years.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
1) no
2) yes

Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Thank you for the information.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
yes cable - yes on plowing - sometimes the side roads are done before the main roads

our snowiest month is March.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Tootsie, cable TV and/or satellite is easy in all the above areas, however, you need to be aware of obstructions that may not allow for satellite. The satellite for cable is in the lower south-west sky, and I can't get satellite unless I put a big ole' satellite dish in my front yard, so that's out of the question unless some of my neighbors cut down a couple of their 100'+ white pine trees. So if that's something that interests you, it will be site specific.

Plowing: state roads are cleaned beginning with the first flake. I'm always impressed with how good of a job they do. Secondary (non-state) roads are covered by the town/city, and would be be answered by someone who has lived a winter in those specific towns, like Annabelle did. Also check with citygirl52 who posts often, I think she lives in the Hampton area.

I find our snowiest month to be February, but I suppose we could find specifics on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Asking about the SEACOAST area only (like Dover, Durham, Exeter, Portsmouth, etc.):

1. Is it difficult to get cable tv or satellite in those areas?
2. Do these areas have State, city/township snow plows that shovel the roads and highways when it snows automatically? Asking cause the side roads innercity Chicago do not get shoveled until all the main roads are done, which could be a few days. This can be a problem for many women.
I am guessing your winter starts somewhere in November or December and is really bad thru March much like Chicago or am I wrong? I found (after a number of years in Chicago) myself staying indoors from November thru March in Illinois due to the cold.

DSL is available in larger towns and, I assume, that means most of the Seacoast area, but I still have some questions left.
Thanks all!

TootsieWootsie

Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM

259 posts, read 988,166 times
You have to make cookies for the snowplow operators so your street remains high on his list!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Yeah...
And don't throw your shovel at the truck when it comes by and dumps a couple feet of snow/ice into your driveway... (grew up on a main road... how we HATED that snowplow driver who was just driving along and doing his job... of course back then it was the KIDS job to shovel the snow from the driveway!!)

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Actually, I much prefer cable, but if I can get it then..no problems. Hot dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire