Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:56 PM

216 posts, read 564,397 times

Advertisements

I've probably posted this question in the past as we thought about a move to the greater White River Junction/Lebanon area for work. Things fell apart for a while, but appear to be in the works again. It is my wife who would be working in WRJ. We have searched the internet for a home in VT, and although there are several choices, nothing really stands out in our price range. We have found quite a few housing options across the border in NH. We like NH because of it's more business - less welfare attitude. Property taxes seemed lower, or campatible, with VT also. The recent article I read through City-Data about Vermonts ever increasing drug problem leading the nation, kinda scared us to death having 2 children. Anyway, are there forum members who work in VT and cross the border? Will the VT income taxes kill my wife if she is making around $80K yr? Curious for you thoughts.

Last edited by mikeandaija2009; 12-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
Just a note re: Vermont property taxes. Is your wife the only one working? If so you'd qualify for the property tax rebate program (I think the magic # is 95K combined income and under) so you would not pay the full property tax.
Yes, there is a drug problem in VT. There is one in NH. There is one in all the other 48 states. No place is drug free.
Keep in mind that vehicle registration costs are much higher in NH than Vermont.
My cousins moved from NH (Upper Valley) to Vermont (NEK) and saw no real difference in cost of living (they both work in NH). They said if it were that much of a difference they would have stayed in NH. Found a house in VT they liked better. It all comes out in the wash.
The Upper Valley is really nice. Love Hanover (NH) and Norwich (VT). Good luck with your move!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 PM

489 posts, read 963,743 times
Perception is an odd thing. When we livde in NH, I felt like Vermonters were more beusiness and less welfare minded.

-Mike

Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,418 times
Business in VT, home in NH. I cross the border twice a day.

Vermont will tax your wife's income, but that would happen whether you live in VT or not since it is VT source income. It doesn't get worse because you live in NH.

What VT does is look at your total income and figure what fraction is from a "VT Source." You calculate your income taxes based on your total income and multiply it by that fraction.

Your wife has the option of doing the calculation based on her income alone IF you have no VT source income.

If you are in this general area I personally don't see the advantage to living in VT. VT is also about to try to force the single payer issue with health insurance and that alone would be reason for me not to live there.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM

5 posts, read 16,738 times
Your post didn't say what your price range was but for the exception of parts of Wilder and White River Junction, all the NH and VT towns in the Upper Valley are good choices and do not have any exceptional drug issues. The article on heroin recently posted about Vermont was talking about an area ear the border with Canada (St. Albans) which has always posed a problem for drug trafficking. The exceptional community involvement you often find in the Upper Valley towns is one of the best antidotes to drug problems IMHO.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,928 times
I've lived in the Upper Valley since 1985. I attended Lebanon High School, and moved back there after college. When it came time to buy a home, we moved to Windsor VT, just 1 exit down 91, because houses were so much cheaper. My wife works for the College in Hanover NH, I am self employed in VT, and before that worked for companies in Vermont.

You will find little practical difference between the towns on either side of the river when it comes to drugs, or general social issues. You won't "avoid" drug issues by living in a NH town that is 1 mile from theVT border. This area very much straddles the border and you'll live and work with folks who have lives on both sides. Your kids will play sports against teams in both states.

Towns like Hanover NH and Norwich VT are generally on the "upper crust" end of the scale: expensive homes, great school (though not without it's own problems) near-zero poverty rates.

Towns like White River and Windsor are still carrying largely our of date "bad raps" on the lower end of the scale as they've clawed their way back to respectability from their post-factory closing years. Every town has it's positives and negatives, it's all about finding the right place for you and your family.

Property taxes vary from town to town. VT has sales tax, but NH has other fees that make sure they get the money out of you one way or another. I haven't found an appreciable difference cost-wise from one to the other. Both have their financial positives and negatives

If you have kids or are planning on having kids, pay attention to the school systems, but most are quite good (especially by national standards.) Some of the smaller towns like Harland VT are sending schools so the kids have a choice of High Schools. That can create travel issues, but opens up some awesome choices, so make sure you know what you are getting into.

This area is made up of a bunch of small towns, with most of the jobs centrally located in and around Hanover and Lebanon NH thanks to the College and the Hospital.

We live in Windsor and we like it a lot. It used to have a pretty bad rep but it's become quite a nice place to live. The schools have improved tremendously over the last 10 years and the town itself has been on a real tear with grants and community investment. There aren't a ton of jobs, but it's an easy 20 minute commute to White River and the rest of the UV.

Honestly, I suggest renting for a year while you learn the area and I bet you'll find the right town to put down roots in. The only place I really don't suggest is Claremont because it has the highest property taxes in the state + the worst schools + some of the more serious social problems (teen pregnancy, drugs) around.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM

489 posts, read 963,743 times
Windsor, VT home to Boston Dreams! We loved that place. We would drive there from Sunapee for coffee.

-Mike

Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
What VT does is look at your total income and figure what fraction is from a "VT Source." You calculate your income taxes based on your total income and multiply it by that fraction.

Your wife has the option of doing the calculation based on her income alone IF you have no VT source income.
I take it back. VT no longer allows you to recompute your federal taxes to file a VT tax return if your wife has VT income, you both live in NH and you have no VT income. This can be a problem if you have a high non-VT income. Even though your income has NOTHING to do with VT, VT will drag it into the calculation by forcing you and your wife to consider both of your incomes. All the apportionment does is find the percentage of the total taxes that VT considers its due. But if the non-VT income is high, even if the VT portion is a small percent, a small percent of a large number is still a large number. And while VT allows a tax credit for taxes paid to other states, that doesn't do you any good since NH does not have a tax on W-2 wages.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
The drugs problems is everywhere and does not differentiate between state line borders.

Heroin is so cheap now because of US policies in Afghanistan.
Methamphetamine production is rampant all across the US.

If you are a parent - good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The drugs problems is everywhere and does not differentiate between state line borders.

Heroin is so cheap now because of US policies in Afghanistan.
Methamphetamine production is rampant all across the US.

If you are a parent - good luck.
True that. It doesn't differentiate between socioeconomic status either.

Cheap, Plentiful, Deadly: Police See Heroin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire