Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly relocating to NH. He has a job interview with a defense contractor in Nashua. I have a few questions - what towns or zip codes are the best for a family with 2 young children (ages 2 and 3) with affordable housing. We are looking for a town where we can afford a house (ideally less than $350k)...we will qualify for a lot more, but we do not want to be house poor. In addition, we pay for our kids to go to a Montessori school right now and it can be quite expensive, but if we can find a good school system so we don't have to pay for private school that would be fine with us.

We live on the West Coast right now, so we are used to dry and hot. But we are both originally from the East Coast so we could get used to the cold. I am an experienced RN, so am thinking about getting a job as a traveler and then transitioning over to core staff once I get a feel for how the hospitals are out there. Any advice on hospital systems would be great. Right now, I am an ER RN in a level I trauma hospital. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
You should have no problem finding a good selection of housing in that price range in the Nashua area. It boggles my mind at how you can work at what seems to me a stressful job in the ER and take care of two children that are so young. You must have tons of energy. Best to you.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,289 times
You should have no problem finding housing in your price range.

The big hospital system in Nashua is St. Joseph's.

I can't speak to the school system as I live north of Nashua and have no personal experience.

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 AM

84 posts, read 121,258 times
Yes .you will have no problem finding a house for that amount in the general area.Southern NH Medical center is the big hospital in the area.You might also want to look at other towns outside Nashua.Like Merrimack,Amherst,Milford.They are all close to Nashua,But they are towns.And not the city like Nashua

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM

238 posts, read 315,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
... The big hospital system in Nashua is St. Joseph's.
There's the Southern New Hampshire Medical Center as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM

813 posts, read 1,273,289 times
Ah, I'm sorry! Yes, there is also SNHMC. I always forget that one! ;-)

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times
There are some good school options in the area, but I don't think Nashua is on top of that list. Admittedly, I'm not completely up-to-date on my school rankings, but I recall it being something like:

Top Tier (in no particular order):
Bedford
Merrimack
Amherst

Very slightly below:
Milford
Hollis
Londonderry
Derry

With Nashua somewhere below that.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the good info! I'll take a look at the towns and hospitals that you all have recommended. Hopefully, we'll know by next week if we're moving or not. If so, it's going to be a BIG change! We'll have to buy winter clothes...haha! It's 75 here today.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
I'd put Hollis, Amherst and Bedford at the top of the list, near Nashua. Brookline NH sends it kids to Hollis high. Mont Vernon sends its kids to the Amherst schools from 7 - 12 grades.
My kids have gone through the entire Amherst system. One has graduated from college, one is in college and one is a senior at the high school. Overall, we have been very satisfied....

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Can anyone give me an estimate of what heating costs would be monthly for an appx 2000 sqft house? And what is usually used to heat? Natural gas? Right now, we pay about $300-400/month to cool our house for 6 months out of the year and we have a 2400 sqft ranch home. I'm hoping our costs to heat a home would be lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire