Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of joining a wholesale club. Sam's Club and BJ's have the closest locations to where we live. Costco's the furthest away. Your thoughts? Or do you do fine with shopping at Walmart and Market Basket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
The Super Walmart & Market Basket in Tilton, which is near you miu, should do the trick. BJ's is ok, but they don't seem to stock as much useful items as they once did & their gas is only 2 or 3 cents lower than Irving. Costco would be worth joining IMO, but there's not one anywhere near the Lakes Region. Sam's in Concord is about the sames as Bj's....not worth the drive. BTW.....BJ's often sends 30 day free membership cards in the mail. Go free & see if you like it

Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks! I've heard good things about Costco's Kirkland Nature's Domain dog food, so it got me thinking about joining Costco. And occasionally I rent from Enterprise car rental and Costco members seem to get 10% off. But Nashua is far from Northwood... so the savings would be outweighed by the travelling distance and the annual membership fee.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Costco is a step above Sams & BJ's. Kirkland products are excellent. They have a first rate meat dept. I think the only Costco in NH is in Nashua ?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 AM

Yes, the only Costco is in Nashua and we are never in that area. I did read online somewhere that one way to shop at Costco without a membership is with using a Costco gift card.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:53 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
I believe Costco once had a location in Portsmouth/Newington but it has since closed.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM

81 posts, read 138,016 times
My wife & I are members at Sams. We don't use it a ton, but it does help. We find they have some neat gift ideas during the Christmas shopping season, and good pricing on quite a few things. We get party platters & such from them for our Christmas parties. Decent quality & price. Well worth the membership for us.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
I'm a member of Costco. We went there frequently when we lived out in Washington but I haven't made it down to Nashua yet. I prefer Costco by far to Sam's Club (have only been there once with my mother in SC). We have been happy with all of the Kirkland brand products that we used. I do plan on making a trip to Nashua soon to stock up on a number of items but I want to tie it into some other errands to make it worth the amount spent on gas.

On a side note, I have always felt better about shopping at Costco than at Walmart. I believe that Walmart is the largest private employer in the country yet they are known for paying low wages and have had a number of class action lawsuits filed by employees. Costco on the other hand has been known as a "blue employer", paying competitive wages and offering health benefits long before the government required this or without being under the pressure of union contracts. I always prefer spending my hard earned dollars somewhere that demonstrates that a business can be profitable and good to its employees at the same time. Just my two cents.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM

139 posts, read 351,582 times
distance is a big factor in whether you should join a club or not. but you also need to know the prices of different things as the "club" is not always the least expensive place to but something.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM

489 posts, read 964,302 times
Costco. It's worth the drive. We lived in Sunapee, and would make the drive to Costco in Nashua every other month.

We gave BJ's a try when we first moved to NH since our employer offered a discount on the membership. We cancelled it after just a couple visits. Maybe if I didn't know about Costco from living in Washington State for years I would have liked BJ's more.

If your family consumes a lot of meat, Costco has excellent quality and prices on meat. Same with their wines. Costco extends the manufacturers warranty on some electronics by one year, which is a cool bonus too. The Kirkland brand line of clothing is also good quality.

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire