Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 AM

84 posts, read 121,217 times

Advertisements

Yes they sure are/I have lived in Milford for the last 10 years.They are bad in my area for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
For those rural enough get chickens. Chickens roaming free in day time will find and eat every tick around. I am pretty much anti toxins for everything. A well kept lawn usually won't harbor ticks either. I hate them with prejudiced since my brother (younger) died from Lymes.

I have killed a good many this season so far, and they have killed a good many Moose over the past winter. Wearing light color cloths, sock outside long pants, and a tick check every so often will find most of them before they bite you. If you have good vision you can see them if you look hard enough. I see them on longer knee high grasses holding on with 2 legs and splaying out the rest seeking dinner. I don't smoke but i do carry a lighter and I roast them. If I can't do that for a reason, I will gather them and crush them between 2 rocks.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM

120 posts, read 222,963 times
I heard a mixture of Lemon and eucalyptus among other things will work great diluted with water and sprayed around the perimeter of the yard... anyone ever hear of this?>

Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Its almost all wood ticks. No biggie.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
For those rural enough get chickens. Chickens roaming free in day time will find and eat every tick around. I am pretty much anti toxins for everything. A well kept lawn usually won't harbor ticks either. I hate them with prejudiced since my brother (younger) died from Lymes.

I have killed a good many this season so far, and they have killed a good many Moose over the past winter. Wearing light color cloths, sock outside long pants, and a tick check every so often will find most of them before they bite you. If you have good vision you can see them if you look hard enough. I see them on longer knee high grasses holding on with 2 legs and splaying out the rest seeking dinner. I don't smoke but i do carry a lighter and I roast them. If I can't do that for a reason, I will gather them and crush them between 2 rocks.
Unfortunately the tick population is spiraling out of control tied in with the decline of the bat population (white nose syndrome). Apparently extreme cold doesn't reduce populations as they find locations to hibernate.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I want to put up bat and owl boxes on my property. One of the neighbors' cats is active and is a good mouser. And need to get some chickens.

Our dogs have good flea and tick collars. Any tick just walking around on them just falls off dead.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
I found a dead bat in my yard. Wonder if it was a victim of white nose syndrome. We had to vacate our bat house as it was poorly placed by the former owners right above our deck. It is a little disconcerting to have the bats flying home right above your head. I have read that chickens help keep the populations down. I have already found 4 of them on me and we eat a ton of eggs so it may be a win-win situation.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Its almost all wood ticks. No biggie.
No one knows wood ticks don't also carry Lymes. No one knows they don't.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Unfortunately the tick population is spiraling out of control tied in with the decline of the bat population (white nose syndrome). Apparently extreme cold doesn't reduce populations as they find locations to hibernate.
I don't know. Local hearsay says the long cold winter did kill many off, but i don't know winter was longer or colder either. I do know I have seen colder. I don't see so many moose as I did. I did see a game warden shopping in IME and asked were are the moose? he said winter ticks, which must be wood ticks, wintering over on moose. I have seen moose covered in ticks causing vast skin issues, and in the event of a summer moose covered hit by a car and killed a carpet of ticks escaping. Nasty sight.

So far in my area I have seen 1 deer tick myself, and i found that from a grey fox i was going to skin. It had been hit by a car. The pelt was fair and i was into it, but due to knowing about ticks I placed it in a large bucket of water with a skim coat of K-1 oil on top. The next day there it was dead in the K-1. Wood ticks are heavy now I had one walking on me today inside my jeans. I have learned to feel them. That one exploded by BIC

Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't know. Local hearsay says the long cold winter did kill many off, but i don't know winter was longer or colder either. I do know I have seen colder. I don't see so many moose as I did. I did see a game warden shopping in IME and asked were are the moose? he said winter ticks, which must be wood ticks, wintering over on moose. I have seen moose covered in ticks causing vast skin issues, and in the event of a summer moose covered hit by a car and killed a carpet of ticks escaping. Nasty sight.

So far in my area I have seen 1 deer tick myself, and i found that from a grey fox i was going to skin. It had been hit by a car. The pelt was fair and i was into it, but due to knowing about ticks I placed it in a large bucket of water with a skim coat of K-1 oil on top. The next day there it was dead in the K-1. Wood ticks are heavy now I had one walking on me today inside my jeans. I have learned to feel them. That one exploded by BIC
Yes, I have read articles say that recent trends indicate declining moose population in NH, numbers more numerous and steady in ME by comparison. I would think less ticks would be found in areas north of notches with coldest continuous low temperatures. If large populations of ticks can adapt to winter temperatures lower than -20F to -30F it could mean more trouble for moose. This upcoming Winter could be interesting as conditions point to El Nino event which often means milder temperatures in the northern 1/3 of the US and southern Canada with active storm track across the southern US. I'm awaiting the next update discussion on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire