Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
For once I don't completely disagree with you. The grey days and early sunset in the winter can be very depressing and is NO joke. Doesn't help that I am pretty sure I have Seasonal affective disorder. However it does help to get out and do stuff in the winter whether its cold or not and having snow on the ground actually makes the dreary winter days a little brighter, but when you work from 8-5pm every day its hard to get out and enjoy the sunlight!

I do think if you didn't live in the black hole that is Keene your perspective on NH would be a little more positive. Even I wouldn't want to live there an I LOVE NH.

Perhaps you are right about Keene. I do greatly enjoy the coastal areas of NH.. Exeter and such but so does everyone else. I live 2-3 miles from the beach now and pay just about what I did in NH and I lived 2+ hours from the coast. I can use the beach 12 months a year here, it makes no sense really if you think about it.

Its very hard for people coming from the south, esp places like south Florida where we have never experienced any other weather type than literal summer and are thrust into a NH like winter. I find it disheartening that their experience are discounted by people who have known 4 season their entire life as if that's normal for everyone. It doesn't matter how many times you visit 1 week or even 3 weeks of visiting grey doesn't prepare you for 4-5 months of grey and being dark. There's just no way of knowing until you experience it what its like, I had no idea what 9 degrees felt like. Cold doesn't describe it when the coldest I'd ever experienced was probably 50's for a brief morning period before it got to 70. Even the starkness of the landscape adds to the depression of winter. SADD is a very serious thing. Even in winter here the sun doesn't set till 7-8 pm and in the summer it is still not even pitch black at 9:30pm, there's still a hint of light on the horizon. I worry for people who want to move simply because they want season change. I think a lot of people who grew up like I did don't think about the work involved in winter, simply the pretty pictures of fall that no one tells them usually lasts a few weeks at best and then months and months of cold. When one says winter in Fla they mean Jan Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I Have a love hate with Florida... I hate the summers but love when we have days of 70 all day.. I live in a very expensive town , the most expensive in the state and it's still cheaper than NH lol.
congratulations!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
My boyfriend grew up in Florida. Tampa and then Naples... and he loves it up in NH!!! Around March, he got fed up with the winter snow and cold, but other than that, he's very happy the other eleven months out of the year.

He doesn't miss the summer heat and humidity of Florida. And he prefers the greenery and interesting topography of NH over the boring flatness of FL.

Last edited by miu; 06-16-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My boyfriend grew up in Florida. Tampa and then Naples... and he loves it up in NH!!! Around March, he got fed up with the winter snow and cold, but other than that, he's very happy the other eleven months out of the year.

He doesn't miss the summer heat and humidity of Florida. And he prefers the greenery and interesting topography of NH over the boring flatness of FL.
I hate the humidity of the south

From about late April to early October it is ridiculous. Even though NH has the cold the idea of 4 seasons is appealing.

I lived in MI for about 10 years so snow and cold isn't to scary.

In the south there are lots of apartment complexes but that doesn't seem to be the case in NH
Other than Craigslist how do people find rentals.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 PM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
My gut recommendation is to look into Dover.

Not much to go on, but that's based loosely on your comments and my having lived in Georgia, Portsmouth and most surrounding towns.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 39,992 times
Here is my two cents on NH.
My wife and I have our property on the market and as soon as it sells will be relocating to either Cape Coral or Punta Gorda Florida area.
I have lived my whole life of 55 years within a 12 mile radius in southern NH. I've loved it but now it's time for a change. Will I miss the winters? The cold? The mountains? Only time will tell. But as of right now..... no frickin way. Looking forward to a life of boating and wearing shorts and t-shirt everyday and not dealing with winter coats, boots and gloves just to go get the mail.
It's not just the cold winters but also the cold raw rainy days in the fall and spring that I believe many don't account for. Many days of starting out with shorts on and dealing with goose bumps all day.
Don't get me wrong...... I have loved living in NH, but no longer have a desire to ski, snowmobile, build snow forts with the kids etc. so the shoveling and frigid temps get old.

In the winter we have blankets on us while watching tv. Keep temp low, 62 to 66. Gets cozy, no big deal. We have nat gas ($1,000 anually) and also burn through a couple cords of wood a season. 2000sqft house built in 90's.
Our electric even when 2 kids where living at home average $100 and $200 when using central a/c in the summer months July and August.
Property taxes are not good. My house also has commercial building so no sense in throwing out my numbers but easily searchable with most cities and towns using online appraisal service.

I could never say anything bad about NH. It is a beautiful state, have run a business for the past 30 years in the Concord area and the folks are fantastic. The area I have lived, has been for the most part crime free. But crime is everywhere and will only get worse, not better. I have security cameras monitoring my property just in case.
Just as I know Florida will be hot in the summer, any one moving to NH must also realize it will get cold in the winter. Unbearable? F no. Just have to adapt and find the fun in it. I sure did. And I'm looking forward to adapt to the heat in Florida, and have fun with it.

As John Lennon said...... "there are no problems, only solutions"

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 AM
miu

To MarkDNH - About ten years ago, friends who lived in Wellesley, MA up and moved to Boca Raton, FL because the wife felt that was THE place to be. However, every summer, they are up living with relatives in NJ and MA because they can't bear the intense heat and humidity of FL. So I hope that you have the same option of visiting with relatives up north during the summer months.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
My gut recommendation is to look into Dover.
I agree. The OP should focus on finding a place near the Seacoast area. The winter temps don't get quite as cold with the ocean nearby. The same goes for MA, in the immediate Boston area (which is on the ocean) the cold and snowy buildup isn't as bad as further west along the I-495 beltway.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
congratulations!
I'm sorry was my reply to you?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree. The OP should focus on finding a place near the Seacoast area. The winter temps don't get quite as cold with the ocean nearby. The same goes for MA, in the immediate Boston area (which is on the ocean) the cold and snowy buildup isn't as bad as further west along the I-495 beltway.
Dover was high on my list.
Is it unreasonable to get a nice apt for $1500?
Something larger than a shoe box?
Would love 2 bedrooms but 1 is fine.
The posts I've seen make it seem like it'd be impossible to find decent housing for that budget.
Currently I live in an all electric condo and my bill is on average $100 a month sometimes closer to $150 in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire