Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM

108 posts, read 145,376 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I have targeted NH as one of our retirement options. We live in suburban NYC so are used to the high property taxes-anything in NH will be less. I realize this place may not exist, but if anyone can identify less remote areas with somewhat convenient shopping, views would be great, convenient restaurants...
We will be retiring, so don't need jobs. I can't say that money is no object, but ideally we want a smaller house (around 2000SF) which helps keep the cost down. Housing budget is definitely high enough based on what I've looked at.

In my dreams, I'd love a house with a mountain view on a couple of acres, where I could walk to a town. I'm sure that doesn't exist but if someone has some ideas of where to look, that would be helpful. So far I can only come up with Peterborough.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
How far as you prepared to walk? Getting a house with a couple of acres and a mountain view is the easy part.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM

I'm half kidding about the walking part-thought I'd start with my fantasy. I can easily walk 2 miles. This would not need to be an every day occurrence. : ). Can you throw in a lake too?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Wilmot NH has some beautiful views near Mt. Kearsarge. Very nice homes. Not sure how convenient shopping is though.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
That depends on how big the lake has to be. If you want one big enough for a power boat, those are limited. If all you want to to is swim or kayak those are easier to find.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
There's a whole stretch of semi-rural towns near route 101, including many hilly areas with views. Generally these small towns have a tiny town center with denser houses, but quickly drop off to rural privacy outside of the compact area. Many of these areas are becoming popular, so unless you want somebody building new houses right on top of you, look for larger lot sizes.

Along with property taxes, heating and snow removal expenses add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
That depends on how big the lake has to be. If you want one big enough for a power boat, those are limited. If all you want to to is swim or kayak those are easier to find.
I agree -- it's easy to find access to a pond, but while there are lots of bodies of water, the majority are quite tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaatric View Post
In my dreams, I'd love a house with a mountain view on a couple of acres, where I could walk to a town. I'm sure that doesn't exist but if someone has some ideas of where to look, that would be helpful. So far I can only come up with Peterborough.
That's exactly what I have, except the 2-mile walk to town is uphill both ways, and I'm going to need to chop down a couple of dozen trees this year, just to regain my view of the pond.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Wilmot NH has some beautiful views near Mt. Kearsarge. Very nice homes. Not sure how convenient shopping is though.
Wilmot does not have any shopping to speak of. The closest grocery store is in New London. Depending on the home site in Wilmot, it could be up to a 20 minute drive each way.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Check out Alton

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Hi,

We were in NH this weekend and drove from Tilton West through New London and then to Keene and Peterborough. I'll give up the "walk to town" requirement and do not have a motorboat. My new priority is a grocery store within 15 minutes. We loved New London. Such a pretty town! Against popular opinion on this board, we also loved Keene. Maybe living between Keene and Peterborough would work for us. Plenty of restaurants, stores, etc...

I realize the property taxes are high but everything is relative. Property taxes on my home 50 miles north of NYC are about 3X those of comparably sized houses in NH. Also heating-we spend more than the amounts I've seen quoted. All the snow. That will probably get tedious but my husband is a pro with the snow blower. Actually, this past winter we got more snow at my house than my daughter did at Syracuse University which (I think) is the snowiest college in the US. I think we are prepared. Won't love that part but we can tolerate it.

I will look at Alton. Thank you for the suggestion.

Can anyone else give me suggestions for other towns? I would like a real "town" with a few restaurants, etc.

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Try Wilton or Wilton Center east of Peterborough. Lovely towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire