Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times

Advertisements

Agree on the commuting. Shoot for 20 minutes because that could be an hour in bad weather (and we get plenty of it).

As for a 1 year rental, the Condos (owned by the College) in Sachem Village are very nice and an easy commute to Hanover or DHMC. Sachem Village
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Agree on the commuting. Shoot for 20 minutes because that could be an hour in bad weather (and we get plenty of it).

As for a 1 year rental, the Condos (owned by the College) in Sachem Village are very nice and an easy commute to Hanover or DHMC. Sachem Village
Also agree on the commuting. Could you commute the 50 or so minutes out from Concord? Sure, but it's unnecessary cost and risk, and in the worst weather (black ice and wind) you'll be glad you can putz along 2-3 miles to home instead of 40+.

And despite being a bigger city, Concord is going to feel less diverse anyway than Hanover anyway. I'd look in Hanover or Lebanon to rent as a starting base while you get to know the area. If you wanted a smaller town I suppose you could look at living on the lake in Enfield, or the quaintness of Quechee, though Quechee's about the longest commute (<20min) I'd take on as a newcomer.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 AM

49 posts, read 151,693 times
I'm here in Hanover and I think it is a great place to live. Obviously much less fast-paced than NYC! There is a large Indian population here IMO, for an area the size of the upper valley, which is all because of the college and hospital. In my opinion you should live in Hanover or the immediate vicinity (Norwich or Lebanon). If you live in-town in Hanover then you will be walkable to the "downtown" area which is very nice for basic conveniences and restaurants that are in Hanover as well as the co-op which is like a tiny whole foods. Also because of the large grad student population living just off campus (and undergrads who live mostly on campus) there are always people walking around town no matter the weather which just makes it feel more "busy" and not at all isolated.
I would look for rentals (February through April is best time to find those, then there is a dead period until around June, then more rentals become available over the summer it seems) in Hanover. You will pay a premium for being in Hanover close to downtown, but I think it is absolutely worth it.
Also being closer to town is better in the winter for feeling less alone, having cleared roads quickly, etc.
If you plan to have kids in the near future I would highly recommend Hanover or Norwich for purchasing a home but again, primarily Hanover. The housing market here is quite tight simply because there aren't that many houses on the market at any one time and this makes them command a premium but nothing like NYC prices, just inflated for the area. However this is because the schools are the best within the region and people are willing to pay to be closer to work and have better schools for their kids.
I'm not going to lie, shopping leaves a lot to be desired however we certainly have what we NEED available at the shopping area in West Lebanon, and what we WANT is available 24/7 online. You will become adept at amazon, nordstrom, zappos, etc. online ordering. It's really not as big of a deal as I thought. Boston is only about 2 hours away and NYC 5, with the smaller cities of Manchester and Concord about an hour away. I definitely have some restaurants I miss but that is true when you move anywhere new- you have to get used to what is in the new place and you miss what you had at your old place.
I do have children and living here is like a fairytale for them. It is SO safe, forget alarms, people here don't even lock their doors. I've never lived in Manhattan but I really feel the attitude here is so much less showy and snobby than where we have lived in the past. People here do not flaunt their money or try to "keep up with the Jones" and I really appreciate that. People definitely have money and are well educated, but it's not in your face.
Outdoor activities abound year-round. You can ski and ice skate most of the winter, and for an area that is so small there are tons of family and kid activity and sports and performing arts events. My husband is a grad student and we have less than a year left and are dreading leaving. I wish we could stay!

You will not qualify for Sachem Village living because you will be affiliated with the hospital, not the college. That will be the case with all university-owned housing options. However, there is a very healthy rental market in Hanover and you should be able to find something and then keep your eye on the real estate market and when something promising comes up- jump on it. Good locations don't last.
Feel free to PM me.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Boston is only about 2 hours away and NYC 5, with the smaller cities of Manchester and Concord about an hour away.
Living up that way if you want a taste of the city you really really really shouldn't neglect trips to Montreal (3hrs) and Q.C. (4.25 hrs).

If you're looking for a big city experience that points more to Montreal, but the old city and fort in QC (and the charm of the surrounding towns) is a bit like traveling to Europe without having to board a plane. Though certainly the European influence can be felt heavily in Montreal as well.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
DHMC has a real estate office. Here is the internet link:
Housing Information | Resources | Employees | Dartmouth-Hitchcock

I carpooled with a NICU nurse who used them to help her find housing when she moved from out of state. She said they were very helpful. She had some pretty specific requirement and they were able to make it work.

Eastman Village in Grantham usually has short term rentals, especially in winter. We used them when we first moved out due to the fact that many were furnished and they took care of all of the snow plowing and shoveling. Bonus - it's on a nice lake. Here are links to two of the real estate agencies that deal with Eastman. It took me 20 minutes to get to DHMC from our condo there.
Dartmouth & Lake Sunapee Region Rentals | Eastman Premier Rentals | Eastman, NH
Gray Ledges Rentals and Property Management LLC

Renting for a year or so will give you a good feel for the area as well as a taste of winter commuting. Each town has its own personality and some will call to you more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire