Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,578 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first time posting on city data and my first big move from NYC. I have been living in NYC for the last 8 years - just got an excellent job offer as a faculty physician at Dartmouth and have been contemplating this big move. I've always been open to living in new places and experiencing new cultures, will be moving with my wife (no kids yet). We love NYC but wouldn't mind a change in pace/place.

I need some advise regarding:

1. How rural is NH, especially around the campus - We would happily welcome some serenity and peace into our lives (away from NYC) but with some basic conveniences - some big stores (like best buy, target etc) within at least 30-40 min driving distance etc?

2. Given that we would be starting a family soon - and that we are immigrants from India - would we feel out of place in NH? We have always lived and worked in places where there was a good mix of different cultures and looking at things in long term - w kids down the line etc.

3. Whats the ease of commute/access to airports

4. Places to live; closer to Dartmouth Medical University.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM

346 posts, read 358,564 times
Hi, I tried to answer your questions below. I've traveled the state in sales for 30 years and know the Hanover area well, but there may be someone on here that actually lives in the area that could help you more. All I can say is the area in much different than NYC in a good way. My wife left NY when we married, within six months she was off blood pressure medications. Good luck with your new position and move.

1. How rural is NH, especially around the campus - We would happily welcome some serenity and peace into our lives (away from NYC) but with some basic conveniences - some big stores (like best buy, target etc) within at least 30-40 min driving distance etc? NH is rural for the most part, but you are looking at moving to a good area of the state with many nice homes and well educated people. West Lebanon, NH is close by and has most all the shopping you'll want.

2. Given that we would be starting a family soon - and that we are immigrants from India - would we feel out of place in NH? We have always lived and worked in places where there was a good mix of different cultures and looking at things in long term - w kids down the line etc. I would think that there will be many Indian people in the greater Hanover area, but checking with your future employer would be best. I'm not sure how much of a mix of cultures you'll find though. One of my friends is married to an Asian woman, they were living in NYC before moving to NH. I get the impression she is bored stiff here and spends her days shopping on the internet or cleaning there large home. You need to be involved in your community and or like doing outdoor recreation in all seasons, the winters are long.

3. Whats the ease of commute/access to airports Manchester, NH is probably the closest at 90 minutes from that area. Then there's Burlington, VT or Hartford, CT, both 2 hours plus away

4. Places to live; closer to Dartmouth Medical University. I would think that you and your wife would like living in Hanover the best. You might take a ride up there and look around, so you can get a feel for what to expect.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Dartmouth College is in Hanover, NH. DHMC (Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center) is in Lebanon, NH though it's really on the road between Hanover and Lebanon. Dartmouth College campus is basically all of Hanover, NH. It is miles from DHMC. The 2 are not in the same place.

This area is called "The Upper Valley" and is comprised of a number of town all centered around the White River Junction VT/Hanover & Lebanon NH area along the Connecticut river and the I-89/I-91 interchange.

White River Junction VT has become a pretty hip music and arts scene, West Lebanon has the big box shopping, and there are tons of great restaurants (big and small) scattered all around the area. There are cheap towns (Windsor, White River, Cornish) and expensive towns (Hanover, Lyme, Norwich) and everything in between, all within a 20 minute drive from the center which is pretty much Lebanon & Hanover NH. Most of these towns are quite diverse. The College and the Medical Center have brought in a lot of diversity and I think you'll find this area to generally be very open and accepting of "outsiders."

I highly recommend that anyone moving to this area rent for the first year. Pick somewhere close to work and start exploring the area towns. The culture, schools and costs vary widely. Someplace like Hanover has very high property taxes and a home in town will run you $400k. Someplace like Windsor VT (where I live, 20 minutes down 91) will be much cheaper with nice homes running in the $175k-$225k range and lower property taxes.

Hanover has basically zero poverty, and excellent public schools. Some of the smaller towns have different challenges and the schools can vary though all compare very well to larger city schools. Some of the smaller towns only have a K-6 or K-8 schools and the kids go to another High School in the area. Something to keep in mind as you look at the towns.

Also, NH has no income tax but generally higher property taxes and fees (car reg, etc.) VT has income tax but lower costs on other things. This area really has the best of what both NH and VT have to offer and you will regularly cross the river.

I'm guessing there are other resources via DHMC or the College for incoming families. There are also College owned apartments and condos that employees and faculty can rent while they figure out which of the area towns is right for them.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
According to the latest demographics, there are over 1,000 "Asians" living in the Hanover-Lebanon metro area. That figure includes both south asians and east asians. There are at least 2 Indian restaurants in Lebanon and 1 asian market so you can assume that there is a thriving Indian community.

You should also be aware that it gets very cold in the Upper Valley- much colder than NYC and the snows can be frequent and deep.

I would assume that you will lease an apartment at first but your salary/earnings will easily allow you to purchase a house, which may be to your advantage. Do a Zillow search of Grafton County and also Sullivan County to see what's available. Do not rent or buy in Vermont as you will pay a high Vermont tax on your New Hampshire earnings.

Logan Airport in Boston is the closest airport for international flights. The "Vermonter" passenger train stops at White River Junction and is a good way to travel to NYC.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I would assume that you will lease an apartment at first but your salary/earnings will easily allow you to purchase a house, which may be to your advantage. Do a Zillow search of Grafton County and also Sullivan County to see what's available. Do not rent or buy in Vermont as you will pay a high Vermont tax on your New Hampshire earnings.
There are lots and lots and lots of people working in NH and living in Vermont (my wife included). The tax thing is not a simple black and white issue and should be evaluated on a personal basis by each person with their tax accountant.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 14,173 times
I think coming from NYC, and being used to an abundant cultural and social scene, not to mention the thriving shopping scene, you will quickly become bored even in Hanover, NH. You will probably find yourself escaping to NYC or Boston or Burlington, or even Montreal, especially when winter drags on. If you do have children, though, you will be pleased with the child-friendly environment of Hanover and neighboring Vermont. The country is a great place to raise children and there are lots of activities for them. It is cold and the snow is deep but children love that!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
I work per diem at DHMC. The medical center employs around 10,000 people which is nearly the population of Lebanon so it is drawing people from all over. It is not uncommon for staff to tell you they commute more than an hour each way. Most of the physicians live in Hanover or Lyme, although you will find them scattered all over the Upper Valley. I think many experience some culture shock at first as it will be very rural for you coming from NYC, but it is a great area to raise a family and the schools are top notch.

As for shopping, West Lebanon has box stores such as Walmart, Best Buy, BJ's, BAM, KMart, JC Penny's, TJ Max, and several fast food chains. There is a very small, but quaint mall with LL Bean and Eastern Mountain Sports. There is not a Target in Lebanon. I believe the closest might be an hour away in Concord. I have heard a number coming from away complaining about the lack of big box stores, but IMO there are plenty of local shops that make up the difference and are better for the community anyways. Hanover has a number of small specialty stores, restaurants and coffee shops and is a quaint town, although on the pricey side. There is also a small airport in West Lebanon where you can catch a prop plane to Boston.

The medical center itself is its own entity. I was surprised at what they call "the mall" and how it really does resemble a mall. If I wanted to, I could get my hair done, visit the post office, eat at Au Bon Pain, and visit a travel agent - all without leaving work. In the summer there is a farmers' market in the parking lot.

Between the college and the medical center, it is a pretty ethnically diverse area. I don't think you will feel all that out of place. It is fairly rural, especially when you get away from Lebanon, but it does not feel "hickish" at all - I would call it an educated rural. The downside is that there are not many other options in the medical field close to DHMC if you decide you are unhappy with the hospital. Although I do enjoy working there, I am glad that I live to the south an have other options as it can be a bit "Dart-centric" as we call it - not open to other ideas or evidence at times. You really cannot beat the location, though. It is a beautiful campus and I couldn't imagine many places better to raise children.

Best of luck to you. I have enjoyed much of the medical staff at DHMC and find people very personable. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,578 times
Thx a lot for all this information - its very helpful. I visited DHMC last Friday, loved the facility and its a fantastic opportunity for me professionally - @lady fern - couldn't agree more with you re: mall reference to the hospital - I'm currently at Yale (which is pretty well built hospital) but DHMC is something and it didn't surprise me when I learnt that the architect who built DHMC - also built a lot of malls. I did drive around the area to get a feel of it - its pretty and a big change from NYC as expected, no surprises there.

I'll probably end up renting for the first few month if I decide to go to DHMC but in terms of housing - what would you all recommend. I wouldn't mind a commute unto 45 min to 1 hr if gets me a good place especially something close to water or with a good mountain view (I'm not sure how geographically feasible that is, excuse my ignorance in this regard).

Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrhythmic View Post
Thx a lot for all this information - its very helpful. I visited DHMC last Friday, loved the facility and its a fantastic opportunity for me professionally - @lady fern - couldn't agree more with you re: mall reference to the hospital - I'm currently at Yale (which is pretty well built hospital) but DHMC is something and it didn't surprise me when I learnt that the architect who built DHMC - also built a lot of malls. I did drive around the area to get a feel of it - its pretty and a big change from NYC as expected, no surprises there.

I'll probably end up renting for the first few month if I decide to go to DHMC but in terms of housing - what would you all recommend. I wouldn't mind a commute unto 45 min to 1 hr if gets me a good place especially something close to water or with a good mountain view (I'm not sure how geographically feasible that is, excuse my ignorance in this regard).
You don't want to be driving up to one hour to work in the winter up there....trust me. Aside from snow & ice in winter you get black ice & fog in late autumn & the same again in early spring. Weather plays an important part in your everyday life here in northern New England. Rent in either Hanover or Lebanon till you get a feel for the place.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-31-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM

73 posts, read 119,167 times
I agree with Brave Stranger (definitely rent in Hanover or Lebanon) and would just like to add that you should check with HR at Dartmouth College and DHMC to see if there are any faculty housing options in the area. At my alma matter, new faculty members were often provided with accommodations either owned or leased by the university specifically for new faculty members. They enjoyed being in a community with other people in the same position, and some of the complexes had onsite daycare, gym and other such amenities. At the very least, they can probably point you in the direction of a few friendly landlords.

Also, I strongly recommend purchasing New Hampshire: An Explorer's Guide by the Countryman Press (New Hampshire: An Explorer's Guide, 7th Edition). The big difference between NH and Manhattan is that there's a huge variation between regions in this area, and all the cool things to see and do are tucked away in little nooks and crannies throughout the state. (Since you'll be on the border, you might want to get the VT guide too). These books give you a rough breakdown of the regions, their characters, and the dining/shopping/recreational/etc. amenities in each one. Since you don't have kids, take advantage of this opportunity to explore the area. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire