Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
f it truly is a health hazard and even if fallaciously these morons believe second hand smoke kills, then ban tobacco. Very simple. But agree or disagree, we all know why that won't ever happen. Hypocrisy at its finest form on the political level.
Look for an outright ban on tobacco in California sometime in the next ten years. It'll be in the supreme court a year or so after that - and then we'll see whether such a ban is against the constitution (the reason why outright bans have not been implemented yet).

Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I wonder what sort of effect a ban on tobacco would have on the current tobacco subsidy, if any. It just seems somewhat hypocritical that our government subsidizes the crop that is responsible for billions of dollars in health-care costs and millions of deaths. Will an outright ban result in paying even more of a subsidy? Maybe the government could subsidize the growing of more useful FOOD crops...

Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I wonder what sort of effect a ban on tobacco would have on the current tobacco subsidy, if any. It just seems somewhat hypocritical that our government subsidizes the crop that is responsible for billions of dollars in health-care costs and millions of deaths. Will an outright ban result in paying even more of a subsidy? Maybe the government could subsidize the growing of more useful FOOD crops...
Great post. I think the government is too addicted to all the tax $$ they get from smokers. Therein lies the hypocracy that you mention.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Default Tobacco Red Meat & White Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Great post. I think the government is too addicted to all the tax $$ they get from smokers. Therein lies the hypocracy that you mention.
Yes Nicolem, life in so many ways is the theater of hypocrisy but that is life in its essence as so many must avoid the truth to compensate for what they are too lazy to learn.

It appears that NH lawmakers have succumbed to the don't make it illegal so we can tax it crowd. These non smoking ordinances are all about special interest taxes and have absolutely nothing to do about the public health! Just as Maine is trying to prevent cars from idling soon we may see Global Warming as the fake excuse to find another way to tax NH residents. Even though our law makers are part time, those with higher political ambition see the Global Warming Tax Lobby as a special interest Cash Cow that will enable their future wishes for more power.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM

59 posts, read 139,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Yes Nicolem, life in so many ways is the theater of hypocrisy but that is life in its essence as so many must avoid the truth to compensate for what they are too lazy to learn.

It appears that NH lawmakers have succumbed to the don't make it illegal so we can tax it crowd. These non smoking ordinances are all about special interest taxes and have absolutely nothing to do about the public health! Just as Maine is trying to prevent cars from idling soon we may see Global Warming as the fake excuse to find another way to tax NH residents. Even though our law makers are part time, those with higher political ambition see the Global Warming Tax Lobby as a special interest Cash Cow that will enable their future wishes for more power.

I am reading almost daily in California Newspapers that soon their will be a Global Warming tax and the State of California will soon be able to control your thermostat as well! Not to mention that all new construction in many municipalities have building codes that do not allow wood burning fireplaces in new homes!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamedia View Post
I am reading almost daily in California Newspapers that soon their will be a Global Warming tax and the State of California will soon be able to control your thermostat as well! Not to mention that all new construction in many municipalities have building codes that do not allow wood burning fireplaces in new homes!
I primarily heat my home with 2 fireplace inserts and of course use approx 2 cords of wood throughout the winter. For a local municipality or more so the state to place restrictions upon the amount of wood we burn for heat or even recreation because of this Global Warming Scam is preposterous. Let us all pray this mind set stays out of NH!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I cant wait to move back east so I can actually use a fireplace!! I want to use a real wood burning fireplace, not the stupid gas or electric ones that have a tiny little flame popping up. I dont know how bad fireplaces really are for the environment. I havent read much about that. But I would still like the option and not have it decided for me. Many homes here in So Cali only offer the gas or electric fireplaces.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamedia View Post
and the State of California will soon be able to control your thermostat as well!
That might be a good thing. Darned if I can program the thing.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:24 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Perhaps Keene gov should tax themselves for the global warming problem. I consistantly see the police cars sitting there idle just running at the scenes of crashes, or when they go back to the station, they just park them outside, leave them running to keep them warm and go inside for 20 mins to do their paperwork.They just bought a dodge charger, evidently they're getting into A LOT of high speed chases here esp in Feb. Perhaps the moose are faster than I thought... They couldn't get a hybrid car? Its a do as I say not as I do situation..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Perhaps Keene gov should tax themselves for the global warming problem. I consistantly see the police cars sitting there idle just running at the scenes of crashes, or when they go back to the station, they just park them outside, leave them running to keep them warm and go inside for 20 mins to do their paperwork.They just bought a dodge charger, evidently they're getting into A LOT of high speed chases here esp in Feb. Perhaps the moose are faster than I thought... They couldn't get a hybrid car? Its a do as I say not as I do situation..
They're buying Chargers all over. State runs loads. They are cheaper and more economical than the crown vics, are faster, stop quicker, and handle 20x better.
The chargers run the town about 22K. A hybrid would be at least 35 and top speed would be a serious problem. However, the ability to silently cruise on electric only would be a neat tool for the boys in blue. And as the police don't seem to be allowed to buy foreign cars, is there even an appropriate American hybrid they can buy?

Last edited by rmcewan; 02-09-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire