Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

212 posts, read 948,552 times

Advertisements

Please leave Al Gore out of this. You and many others obviously don't like him. He is not a scientist, but is a messenger with an important message. It is a fact that Big Coal and Big Oil run this country. If you can find evidence that it doesn't, please feel free to post it.

Did you read the UCS report that I posted? Al Gore did not write it. Scientists from leading institutions (including UNH) did the studies. It is not based on beliefs, but hard science.

If you can see through your hatred of Al Gore, you will see that the science is clear. Global warming is a very real threat to the future of mankind.

For those who want the real science and not politician-bashing, it's out there. Read the IPCC report. Thousands of scientists from around the world have spent years studying data. Believe it or not. I can't change sciamedia's beliefs, but it's up to each one of us to decide if we want a fossil fuel future or a clean energy future. Our kids and grandkids deserve healthy futures, not a world filled with wars over water, fuel, food and land.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,763 times
AlGore is a VERY BAD EXAMPLE!

Just for kicks lets say sure, it could be nothing more than another cycle OR let's say what I believe is "global warming". Who cares, the fact of the mater is that we are producing way more amounts of ozone depleting gases than we've ever experienced in the past because of technology and exponential population growth that will only continue to rise. UNLESS we start spaying and neutering the population that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce ... BUT that's another story. So I'll try to stay on topic. Science it is ... ice core samples 2 miles long prove that Earth was once on a predictable cycle and still is showing signs of cycles; however, the most recent cycles now are unpredictable and extreme in their measures. Melting of ice caps ... is NH ready to take on parts of the population of NYC and RI when that happens? Some of these changes are extreme enough that there are now drastic changes in one life span. The cycles are going to continue ... there is nothing we can do to prevent that. Back to the fact ... we humans are the cause of our depleting ozone layer and there is something we can do to slow that down. There is plenty we can do! And it starts with someone willing to change. Thank you to people like Dreamworks and Airedaly who care and to Keene for taking on such a challenge.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Recycling and renewable energy are, I believe, the obvious solutions. These two things alone can help immensely. Here's the rub though: Big oil doesn't want renewable energy and large natural resource companies don't want recycling.

So where do we go from here? Start individually and locally. Recycling is a terrific way to conserve our resources. Unfortunately, unless the generations alive today can get on board at a faster rate than they are now, we cannot shed our horribly wasteful habits. We also need to let wind, nuclear and solor power projects move forward and leave the NIMBYisms behind. We are so far behind other countries in these fields. Why? We have some of the greatest minds in science and engineering. These people need to be left to the job of creating renewable energy, and decrease the dependency on petroleum based products and energy.

Airedaly asks to "leave Al Gore out of this". I think not. He is very much in "this". Although I loathe the man, we need more influential types like him to promote recycling and renewable forms of energy. I think he's a buffon, but I admire what he has created in terms of "buzz".

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM

59 posts, read 139,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiChick View Post
AlGore is a VERY BAD EXAMPLE!

Just for kicks lets say sure, it could be nothing more than another cycle OR let's say what I believe is "global warming". Who cares, the fact of the mater is that we are producing way more amounts of ozone depleting gases than we've ever experienced in the past because of technology and exponential population growth that will only continue to rise. UNLESS we start spaying and neutering the population that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce ... BUT that's another story. So I'll try to stay on topic. Science it is ... ice core samples 2 miles long prove that Earth was once on a predictable cycle and still is showing signs of cycles; however, the most recent cycles now are unpredictable and extreme in their measures. Melting of ice caps ... is NH ready to take on parts of the population of NYC and RI when that happens? Some of these changes are extreme enough that there are now drastic changes in one life span. The cycles are going to continue ... there is nothing we can do to prevent that. Back to the fact ... we humans are the cause of our depleting ozone layer and there is something we can do to slow that down. There is plenty we can do! And it starts with someone willing to change. Thank you to people like Dreamworks and Airedaly who care and to Keene for taking on such a challenge.
I do not believe that humans are producing too much CO2 so to mess up our climate. It is so weird that many have signed on to what I believe is a scam, as this is all about someone making money off of peoples fears and ignorance.
And skichick when you write about our most recent cycles you fail to acknowledge how long a cycle is and what parameters you are using. For example the Ozone layer. What does CO2 production by humans have to do with the Ozone layer and for that matter how long have humans been calibrating the ozone layer? Were we doing atmospheric measurements during the 1600s, 1700s and so on. I do know that the earths temperature has warmed a lot more from 1850 to 1940 than it has from 1940 to 2007. That is an indisputable fact.

So this for me all comes back to a way for someone else to profit over someone else's ignorance. Burning fossil fuels so far is one of the most cost effective and environmentally friendly way we produce energy. Yes hydroelectric power is also a great way as well. Soon, like in the next 10 years Coal Gasification will be our country's main energy source and hopefully will reduce our dependence upon foreign oil. Also we should be drilling off our coast lines for more oil and revoke the California Off Shore Drilling ban. Maybe in 100 years we will be advanced enough for fusion power but we are very far from that as well. Until then it is fossil fuels for me!

Oh by the way, regarding recycling, which I believe should be done with everything that is produced or manufactured in our country, Recycling, produces more CO2 than the process it took to manufacture what you are about to recycle.

Further, windmills have killed more birds of prey in California, raptors and eagles, than all the Oil Spills World Wide from 1985 up until today. And that includes the Valdez oil spill! Bio-Diesel requires too much energy and land to produce as well and is way to expensive to produce.

I would advise to go back and study the Laws of Thermodynamics before you sign on to a Global Warming Tax for NH.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamedia View Post
I do not believe that humans are producing too much CO2 so to mess up our climate. It is so weird that many have signed on to what I believe is a scam, as this is all about someone making money off of peoples fears and ignorance.
And skichick when you write about our most recent cycles you fail to acknowledge how long a cycle is and what parameters you are using. For example the Ozone layer. What does CO2 production by humans have to do with the Ozone layer and for that matter how long have humans been calibrating the ozone layer? Were we doing atmospheric measurements during the 1600s, 1700s and so on. I do know that the earths temperature has warmed a lot more from 1850 to 1940 than it has from 1940 to 2007. That is an indisputable fact.

So this for me all comes back to a way for someone else to profit over someone else's ignorance. Burning fossil fuels so far is one of the most cost effective and environmentally friendly way we produce energy. Yes hydroelectric power is also a great way as well. Soon, like in the next 10 years Coal Gasification will be our country's main energy source and hopefully will reduce our dependence upon foreign oil. Also we should be drilling off our coast lines for more oil and revoke the California Off Shore Drilling ban. Maybe in 100 years we will be advanced enough for fusion power but we are very far from that as well. Until then it is fossil fuels for me!

Oh by the way, regarding recycling, which I believe should be done with everything that is produced or manufactured in our country, Recycling, produces more CO2 than the process it took to manufacture what you are about to recycle.

Further, windmills have killed more birds of prey in California, raptors and eagles, than all the Oil Spills World Wide from 1985 up until today. And that includes the Valdez oil spill! Bio-Diesel requires too much energy and land to produce as well and is way to expensive to produce.

I would advise to go back and study the Laws of Thermodynamics before you sign on to a Global Warming Tax for NH.
Not only The Laws of Thermodynamics but also just understanding the carbon & Nitrogen Cycles, because so many people think that CO2 is a pollutant whereas it is food for all of Earth's Plant Life.

In many respects we are depleting the Earth's natural CO2 producers significantly with Ocean Trawling, and massive animal extinctions. And our ice caps are also being thinned out because of underwater volcanic activity .

I agree that this Global Warming is much more about making money for a select few by profiting upon the ignorance of those who depend on their scientific news from the Pop Culture Media. If people were really serious about our environment we would no longer have Landfills. Why no outrage against Landfills? Or Ocean Trawling? Mainly because you are already producing a steady money stream for your Garbage Companies and the Meat and Fish Industries.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Wow did this thread take a turn for the worst. I am gone for a few days, and look what happend. Look, you all have to realize that everyone has a opinion on Global Warming. Both sides are passionate about what they believe. This is one reason why I dont really like these kind of threads. Someone makes it personal and then it goes from there. Like I tried to tell you awhile back, just be respectful of others, that isnt too hard to do. And stop taking what others say so seriously to the point of attacking someone. What makes your opinion more valid then theirs? What gives anyone the right to attack another person, simply because they dont share your belief? What you believe is what you believe. There are arguments to be made on both sides. From this post on, lets keep it respectful, or this thread will be closed permantely, and I would hate to do that, as this is a subject that needs to be discussed. Thank you everyone.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Thumbs down I would agree to close this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Wow did this thread take a turn for the worst. I am gone for a few days, and look what happend. Look, you all have to realize that everyone has a opinion on Global Warming. Both sides are passionate about what they believe. This is one reason why I dont really like these kind of threads. Someone makes it personal and then it goes from there. Like I tried to tell you awhile back, just be respectful of others, that isnt too hard to do. And stop taking what others say so seriously to the point of attacking someone. What makes your opinion more valid then theirs? What gives anyone the right to attack another person, simply because they dont share your belief? What you believe is what you believe. There are arguments to be made on both sides. From this post on, lets keep it respectful, or this thread will be closed permantely, and I would hate to do that, as this is a subject that needs to be discussed. Thank you everyone.
My original intention with this thread was to alert New Hampshire residents to the possibility of another new tax , this one being a tax generated from the Global Warming hype. It does appear that many have strong beliefs regarding the issue to the point of causing unstable emotional out bursts. Having been in the Environmental Health business for over 30 years I personally wanted to help educate some to what our realistic and true environmental concerns are, such as Landfills, Animal Extinction as opposed to political hype like this new Global Warming movement which in my professional opinion is only about money.

So I would like it if we could close this thread, as i feel enough has been said on both sides. Certainly other threads to follow may touch on the issue but for now lets "Cool" this one down soon.

Cometvoyager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire