Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times

Advertisements

I like the Center Harbor area and the adjacent portion of Moultonboro that abuts it. Lake Kanasatka and Wakondah Pond are quite nice and more reasonably priced options, very close to your price point for existing construction. Red Hill conservation tracts (Lakes Region Conservation Trust) are nearby as well, accessed off Red Hill Rd west of route 25. Driving times to Laconia and Meredith are not bad at all from this area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM

104 posts, read 139,371 times
My experience is limited to the summer months and I haven't driven around as much as I'd like to, or others have. My family owns a place in Henniker and that seems a nice town. I like the Sunapee region and wonder how living in New London year round is, probably worth a looksee. Last year I visited Petersborough and it was a nice town.

How these places are during the winter months or when the college kids return I don't know. I suppose much depends on your opinion of winter snows, activities and college students.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Because based on my vacation experience, I don't care for southern New Hampshire or the east coast. I do like the Lakes Region very much, and I think the Waterville Valley area is also very nice -- but I would just like to know if anyone has any specific town preferences.

Thanks to all who responded so far, btw!
Before buying anywhere, I recommend taking several extended stays in NH during the winter months. Like month-long rentals.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM

19,838 posts, read 9,407,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Before buying anywhere, I recommend taking several extended stays in NH during the winter months. Like month-long rentals.
Good suggestion, but I did spend three YEARS in Bridgton, ME so I know about New England winters!

P.S. to Takingnames and Brave Stranger: Thanks. I have now added your suggestions to my search list!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM

6,576 posts, read 6,752,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Good suggestion, but I did spend three YEARS in Bridgton, ME so I know about New England winters!

P.S. to Takingnames and Brave Stranger: Thanks. I have now added your suggestions to my search list!
Gilford is a nice location.You can slip out of Laconia & in under 5 minutes you feel like you're in the country. Very good schools. Neat country store in a tiny town center next to a beautiful new library & the high school. Lower property taxes than average. Lot of upper-middle class people & some real nice new construction homes. Nice thing about Gilford is that the residential areas are just tucked far enough away so you don't get caught up in the tourist onslaught.

Any questions about the area feel free to ask me.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 03-16-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 PM

611 posts, read 1,206,054 times
You might look at the Hanover area if you are concerned about senior transportation. It is one of the few small towns with a public bus system and of course close to a major medical center. It is pricier than some of the other towns you have mentioned. Sunapee has low taxes and of course the lake but I am not aware of any senior transportation. Can't speak for anything in the Lakes Region...too much traffic for my taste.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
We just took a drive from Londonderry to Hanover via Rt 4 from Concord then across the Connecticut River to Rt 5 in Vermont to Bellows Falls and back into NH at Acton. We followed Rt 123 through a very empty section of NH around Stoddard and back to civilization at Wilton. Route 123 is a very scenic route and has miles long stretches without crossroads or driveways.

Due to this winter and decades of deferred maintenance Rts 4 and 123 and surrounding roads have nearly been destroyed by frost heaving and potholes. My Subie wagon has a very good suspension but the rough road kept me under 40 mph most of the trip. This road, despite the great scenery, is off my motorcycle list until repaired. That will probably happen sometime in the next century.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM

16 posts, read 19,939 times
Depends on what you're looking for, rural, small city, mountains or lake?

Keene/Swanzey (Monadnock area) has small cities mountains and lakes.

Alton/Winnepausakee als has small cities, mountains and lakes.

Laconia and Franklin are sort of seedy

Conway/Nor Conway is crazy congested.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM

19,838 posts, read 9,407,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllleee View Post
Depends on what you're looking for, rural, small city, mountains or lake?

Keene/Swanzey (Monadnock area) has small cities mountains and lakes.

Alton/Winnepausakee als has small cities, mountains and lakes.

Laconia and Franklin are sort of seedy

Conway/Nor Conway is crazy congested.
Thanks. Cheryl. Your observations tallied exactly with ours, so I hope you will check back to see how I responded!

We are looking for property with a water view (at least, if not water front) in or near a small town with at least a diner or cafe. Actually, Bridgton, ME (about 5,000 population) was perfect for us as far as the type of town (kind of quaint but with a definite town center and a large grocery store), although we thought it was getting a BIT run-down on Main Street. However, living in Maine left us with bad feelings toward that state because we ended up with a really horrible real estate agent -- we purchased our home from out of state and trusted her to look out for our interests, which she did NOT do -- and a contractor who was just as bad. (Long story short -- we ended up with a $145K loss and a "deed in lieu of foreclosure loss" because after living in our brand new home for three years, it could NOT be sold even at $120K less than we paid for it!) Also, it just seems as though New Hampshire is more scenic than Maine, and scenery is our prime consideration. Another reason that we prefer NH to Maine, is that Maine has a LOT of pine trees and swampy areas, whereas it seems to us that NH has more clear lakes and deciduous trees, both of which we definitely want. (Please, if I said, or ever say anything, that is incorrect, PLEASE correct me!)

Anyway, ideally we would like to live on a quiet medium-sized lake or pond (NOT Lake Winnipausaukee) with a view of the mountains, but as long as it has some kind of nice view that we can enjoy from our deck or patio while enjoying our morning coffee or an evening glass of wine, that would be fine. In short, we are looking for about an 1,800 square foot ranch with view, and our budget is a maximum of $550k, including all necessary repairs, redecorating and remodeling.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,408 times
Canterbury is beautiful and rural --not too far from Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire